Any Pathologists in Chicago or the suburbs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year med student and I have a requirement to fill this semester - I need to spend 3-5 hours each of 2 days "shadowing" a doctor in the field of my choice. I am very interested in Pathology, but cannot find a Pathologist affiliated with my school who can help me. I am allowed to find an outside doctor, so if any one can help me, please pm me. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to put this in. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor2007 said:
I'm a second year med student and I have a requirement to fill this semester - I need to spend 3-5 hours each of 2 days "shadowing" a doctor in the field of my choice. I am very interested in Pathology, but cannot find a Pathologist affiliated with my school who can help me. QUOTE]

You could try calling the Program Director of a pathology residency program in your area and asking them to hook you up with an attending (or resident?) that enjoys teaching. You aren't asking to spend a ton of time with them, and some people really enjoy showing others what they do, especially in a field that is often misunderstood (pathology!). In Chicago there is Northwestern, Loyola, Rush, UIC, and Cook County--and that's just the city. There is bound to be someone who will give you a positive response. I'm surprised that nobody at your med school can help you. How about the people who teach pathology? If your department is friendly, you might just want to drop by and ask the people at the front desk who they think might be receptive. At my residency we have students coming in all the time, from all levels of study, from high schoolers interested in medicine to fourth year med students. If people know you are interested in what they do they will be more likely to want to help you. Eager students are much more welcome than those who don't seem interested, and since you are interested in the field you should make this known. You might have to call around a bit but you will probably be able to find someone. Good luck!

Patholo-gyst said:
I'm surprised that nobody at your med school can help you. How about the people who teach pathology? If your department is friendly, you might just want to drop by and ask the people at the front desk who they think might be receptive.

My school is very Family Med oriented and hasn't been much of a help. The department I set this up through can only give me one name, and his schedule does not fit with mine to that's a no can do. I'll take your suggestions, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor2007 said:
My school is very Family Med oriented and hasn't been much of a help. The department I set this up through can only give me one name, and his schedule does not fit with mine to that's a no can do. I'll take your suggestions, thanks!

Every med school has tons of pathologists...this doesnt make sense, where do you go to school?

PS-Im now taking med students for path "shadowing" in the greater LA area. To address the inherent gender inequalities in medicine today, Im limiting these positions to young ladies, please PM me with a pic. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Every med school has tons of pathologists...this doesnt make sense, where do you go to school?

PS-Im now taking med students for path "shadowing" in the greater LA area. To address the inherent gender inequalities in medicine today, Im limiting these positions to young ladies, please PM me with a pic. :laugh:

I love LADOC's posts: sexist, xenophobic, and bitter as hell. Very entertaining stuff.
Keep on doing your thing, dude.

LADoc00 said:

Well I go to a DO school so that might explain it, lol. We have one Pathologist associated with this program I have to fulfil but I'm unable to fit into his schedule. No one around here can give me any other names. I'm very upset by the lack of help. Some of you may ask me, why did you go to a DO school if you wanna go into Path? Well, when I entered this school I was leaning towards Family Med and it wasn't until after my first year I decided to try for Path.

BTW, since I am going to be a DO and there are no DO Path residencies, will I be at any disadvantage applying to MD ones? I assume I will have to take the USMLE (or will they accept COMLEX scores?) And how competative is it out there in general? Thanks!

Doctor2007 said:
Well I go to a DO school so that might explain it, lol. We have one Pathologist associated with this program I have to fulfil but I'm unable to fit into his schedule. No one around here can give me any other names. I'm very upset by the lack of help. Some of you may ask me, why did you go to a DO school if you wanna go into Path? Well, when I entered this school I was leaning towards Family Med and it wasn't until after my first year I decided to try for Path.

BTW, since I am going to be a DO and there are no DO Path residencies, will I be at any disadvantage applying to MD ones? I assume I will have to take the USMLE (or will they accept COMLEX scores?) And how competative is it out there in general? Thanks!

I love all pathologists regardless of whether they did their residency at Florida State or are DOs. The only thing is you have to gross in all my uteri, placentas and do all the autopsies. I feel too important to sulley my hands with these. Path WAS non-competitive, dont know now, but it used to be if you spoke reasonable english (fluency is a HUGE bonus) and were not overtly mentally handicapped you were in. Even then, exceptions were made on the second requirement (usually with ill-fated consequences). Ive seen it all: Path residents who 1.) used an English-Chinese dictionary on rotations 2.) Path residents who were goths (!) 3.) Path residents who moonlighted as coke dealers (chang ching) 4.) even a path resident who was a call girl (and that is no joke).

LADoc00 said:
I love all pathologists regardless of whether they did their residency at Florida State or are DOs. The only thing is you have to gross in all my uteri, placentas and do all the autopsies. I feel too important to sulley my hands with these. Path WAS non-competitive, dont know now, but it used to be if you spoke reasonable english (fluency is a HUGE bonus) and were not overtly mentally handicapped you were in. Even then, exceptions were made on the second requirement (usually with ill-fated consequences). Ive seen it all: Path residents who 1.) used an English-Chinese dictionary on rotations 2.) Path residents who were goths (!) 3.) Path residents who moonlighted as coke dealers (chang ching) 4.) even a path resident who was a call girl (and that is no joke).

OK, I need to hear more about #4. I have heard about moonlighting opportunities during residency, but that might take the cake.

Doctor2007 said:

They'll accept COMLEX. If you are a decent student and have no criminal record (apparently, even if you do), you'll have no problem getting a good spot. Path is pretty non-competitive, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Competition is determined by the applicant pool, which varies from year to year. It also depends where you want to go. And that in turn is related to what your career goals are. If you look through some old posts you'll find interest is up this year compared to succeeding years. Trend or blip - who knows?

I'll repeat the oft-repeated statement that there are reportedly more applicants than positions in this year's match. Who knows how things will be in 2007.

I can't speak for DO's, but I did meet a few on my interview trail.

pathdawg said:
OK, I need to hear more about #4. I have heard about moonlighting opportunities during residency, but that might take the cake.

She had borderline personality disorder and a vile cola habit. Actually graduated from a very prestigous medical school and went for a short time to a top notch residency, sad story. Of course medicine is filled with them.

pathdawg said:
They'll accept COMLEX. If you are a decent student and have no criminal record (apparently, even if you do), you'll have no problem getting a good spot. Path is pretty non-competitive, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Great! Thanks!! That takes a load of my mind :)

I was worried that I had to have top-notch grades and USMLE scores :eek:

I definately don't have a criminal record, not that is sounds like it's important LOL!

Thanks for the info!

deschutes said:
Competition is determined by the applicant pool, which varies from year to year. It also depends where you want to go. And that in turn is related to what your career goals are. If you look through some old posts you'll find interest is up this year compared to succeeding years. Trend or blip - who knows?

I'll repeat the oft-repeated statement that there are reportedly more applicants than positions in this year's match. Who knows how things will be in 2007.

That's interesting. Maybe because of all these new forensic shows on tv everyone wants to be like those med examinesr on CSI :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
...which we as enlightened beings know to be completely untrue... :rolleyes:
Seriously...why is it that everyone automatically asks: "Oh, are you gonna do forensics? That looks so cool!" :rolleyes:

And he resurfaces! How's surgery treating you, Brian? I got that coming up in February... :eek: with a hepatobiliary team - guess I won't be doing much but standing around in OR, if they even let me get in there.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Seriously...why is it that everyone automatically asks: "Oh, are you gonna do forensics? That looks so cool!" :rolleyes:
I think we're going to live that with for the rest of our lives.

I usually say something to the effect of "I don't know, blood banking and transfusion medicine seems really interesting too!" which prompts the whole "I didn't know BB/TM/CC/MB etc. was part of pathology?" conversation.

~
In med school they ask you what you want to be when you grow up. Guess nobody's a good old-fashioned "doctor" anymore.

I've given up this whole explaining pathology to lay-people thing. I just tell people that I'm a scientist cuz that's what I am now and that's what I want to end up spending most of my time being. If the conversation goes further, I go on to tell them that I run a karate dojo on the side.

deschutes said:
guess I won't be doing much but standing around in OR, if they even let me get in there.

If they even let you get in there??!! Why would you WANT to get in there? ;) I'm going back to the clinics in two months after being in the lab for four years and I hope to hide as much as possible.

beary said:
I'm going back to the clinics in two months after being in the lab for four years and I hope to hide as much as possible.
In retrospect, I would've hidden more and left much earlier when I was a clinical clerk (aka unnecessary, worthless, penniless, punching bag).

Well, my only real O.R. experience so far is from Ob/Gyn. I thought it might be interesting to see something - if they let me. I mean, what's the alternative? Post-op rounds ad nauseum. Whee. :sleep:

I suppose I'll regret saying those lines in March.

Clinic (depending on what sort of clinic) is not that bad. Still infinitely preferable to floors - ick!

AndyMilonakis said:
In retrospect, I would've hidden more and left much earlier
HAH! Not like you could have!

deschutes said:
I'm saying that as a clerk you don't get to leave early and you don't get to hide, period.
Yes I'm sure that's what you meant.
deschutes said:
I'll take you out any day, Milonakis!
Nuh uh. No you di'int! Oh it's on!

deschutes, what is your avatar? it's kinda disturbing in one sense but implies that you're some sort of a badass with a napoleon complex.....

deschutes said:
I'll answer yours if you answer mine.
it's ok. i know what it is now. my roommate, who is big into cartoons, identified it for me.

deschutes said:
Aha! Now I know for certain you have run out of things to say.
i wish i had skillz...like numchuck skillz, bowhunting skillz, computer hackinng skillz...

You know what - I believe I was up later than both of you so phooey on you. I went to bed at 5:30 and was up at 8. And no naps today dammit, I'm wide awake.

yaah said:
You know what - I believe I was up later than both of you so phooey on you. I went to bed at 5:30 and was up at 8. And no naps today dammit, I'm wide awake.

O contrare. I went to bed at 7 am and woke up at 10 am so phooey on you. But good job on staying up way way past your bedtime. Wanna cookie?

AndyMilonakis said:
O contrare. I went to bed at 7 am and woke up at 10 am so phooey on you. But good job on staying up way way past your bedtime. Wanna cookie?

I just had 4 cookies, thank you very much. Washing it down with Bass Ale. I think I may have drank more than you this weekend.

yaah said:
I just had 4 cookies, thank you very much. Washing it down with Bass Ale. I think I may have drank more than you this weekend.
yes...but you don't have step 2 coming up :mad:

i'll catch up next weekend :D

I went to bed at 6:30, so nyah nyah to yaah! You are no match for owl natives.

(Except in the light of day... *groan* It beats me into a stupor, although since it is the afternoon now, the worst part is over.)