Any other rising M2s pretty set on rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jambro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone other M1s/M2s out there are already pretty set on rads early on med school and why. I am for the usual reasons - good pay, good lifestyle, like tech, liking M1 more than I thought i would and disliking patient interactions more than I thought I would, etc. Does rads seem more or less popular at your school at this point? At mine like no one seems even remotely interested; it seems like they think you just sit in a cubicle alone all day.

Also, does anyone else feel sheepish about speaking with faculty about their interests? Idk if this ever changes, but i feel like there's lowkey judgment on choosing a less patient-centered specialty, especially this early on

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
it seems like they think you just sit in a cubicle alone all day.
that actually is most of what we do unless you are IR. these days that cubicle if often at home which is really nice.

Also, does anyone else feel sheepish about speaking with faculty about their interests? Idk if this ever changes, but i feel like there's lowkey judgment on choosing a less patient-centered specialty, especially this early on

you shouldn't feel sheepish about it. there is no judgment. find a radiologist and talk to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually don't like the lone-cubicle feeling so I try to read in the open reading rooms whenever possible.
i thought i liked open reading rooms until i got my own office.

also working as an attending is not like being a resident where you are surrounded by resident friends.

Reactions: 1 user
i thought i liked open reading rooms until i got my own office.

also working as an attending is not like being a resident where you are surrounded by resident friends.

Are you in academics or PP?

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone other M1s/M2s out there are already pretty set on rads early on med school and why. I am for the usual reasons - good pay, good lifestyle, like tech, liking M1 more than I thought i would and disliking patient interactions more than I thought I would, etc. Does rads seem more or less popular at your school at this point? At mine like no one seems even remotely interested; it seems like they think you just sit in a cubicle alone all day.

Don't feel guilty about having an interest in radiology. I think most radiologists would agree that you are attracted to the field for the right reasons, i.e., money, lifestyle, technology, and not wanting to talk to patients, but still want to have a major impact on patients care as a doctor. These are the right reasons to go into radiology. There is a stigma about rads from non-rads, but who cares. Yes you will most likely be sitting in a cubicle all day long, but it will be a sweet cubicle and a comfy chair.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
that actually is most of what we do unless you are IR. these days that cubicle if often at home which is really nice.

you shouldn't feel sheepish about it. there is no judgment. find a radiologist and talk to them.

By cubicles I'm imaging some horrible cubicle farm where you do monotonous meaningless work. I don't envision rads being like that... like you say just being able to do the work from home is a huge pro for me too. I've kinda loved online med school the past year and rads is like one of the only specialties that can be feasibly done from home. Idk how common wfh was for rads before but do you think that it'll become more common post-pandemic? I know other professions that can feasibly wfh but didn't for whatever antiquated reason are dealing with this now

By cubicles I'm imaging some horrible cubicle farm where you do monotonous meaningless work. I don't envision rads being like that... like you say just being able to do the work from home is a huge pro for me too. I've kinda loved online med school the past year and rads is like one of the only specialties that can be feasibly done from home. Idk how common wfh was for rads before but do you think that it'll become more common post-pandemic? I know other professions that can feasibly wfh but didn't for whatever antiquated reason are dealing with this now

in my practice I'd say like 80% of us are home each day. WHF isn't super common at this point but is becoming more common.

I would say that a lot of rads is monotonous meaningless work generated by inappropriate over ordering of exams. so get ready for that. but it's probably the same in any field.

in my practice I'd say like 80% of us are home each day. WHF isn't super common at this point but is becoming more common.

I would say that a lot of rads is monotonous meaningless work generated by inappropriate over ordering of exams. so get ready for that. but it's probably the same in any field.

Has that percentage changed at all due to covid, and if it has will those changes remain? And would you say your practice is more or less big on wfh compared to the average?

Yeah I'm sure all the negatives are monotonous, but to me I think i'd prefer that monotonous work over easy follow-ups or mindless charting/notes in other specialties. Plus I'm very excited by the idea of macros/a set up that makes it easy to fly through negatives

id assume things will become more WFH friendly but it won't be across the board. we are very WFH friendly. more than usual. admin has gotten behind it in a big way to increase word-life balance and aid in faculty retention. i feel kind of bad but we actually just read out the residents over the phone now.

negatives aren't monotonous. short term followup in widely metastatic patients is what will bog you down. you will learn if you go into a hosital based practice

Reactions: 1 users