Any other Canadians doing their undergrad in the states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

):(

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending the University of Washington for my undergraduate degree, will this hurt my admission chances at UBC (myprovince's school)? I will be a sophomore next year, so its not too late to transfer to a Canadian school. Also, if I get into the UW School of Medicine will I actually be able to get a residency in Canada. I know it is nearly impossible for Caribbean graduates, but UW is one of the best schools for medicine in the states.

Members don't see this ad.

If you qualify as a BC resident, I don't see why doing your undergrad in Washington would hurt your chances of getting in. I can't speak for getting a Canadian residency if you do medicine in the States though.

):( said:
I am attending the University of Washington for my undergraduate degree, will this hurt my admission chances at UBC (myprovince's school)? I will be a sophomore next year, so its not too late to transfer to a Canadian school. Also, if I get into the UW School of Medicine will I actually be able to get a residency in Canada. I know it is nearly impossible for Caribbean graduates, but UW is one of the best schools for medicine in the states.

Yes - you can both apply to UBC for your MD and come back to Canada for residency without penalty. And you're right - UW is outstanding in every respect. They offer a combination of amazing primary care and research training that few places on the planet can beat. And the fact that they are not 'out of region' friendly means that they are nowhere near as competitive as a comparable school like UCSF.