Any open PGY2 positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinguPinktu

oink oink!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi would like to know if anywhere has open PGY2 position for application at this point. I am looking to switch specialty . Thank you for your time!

Regards

Members don't see this ad.

LSU Shreveport

You may be in luck. I heard a upcoming PGY2 dropped out from UC Davis ( great great program ) and there is an open spot for this July. As long as you have done PGY1, you should be able to at least apply. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe an opening popped up at UC Davis. Who the hell would leave, and why?

I can't believe an opening popped up at UC Davis. Who the hell would leave, and why?

Some people decide to stick with medicine... Or it's a personal/family issue.

Those seem to be common themes...

Man, I can't even fathom it. I interviewed there last year and didn't match there (or anywhere); this year they didn't offer me another interview :( It was one of the few missed opportunities I was genuinely bummed about. And then someone just goes and gives it up! Argh. I'm going to believe it was some sort of personal emergency... not that I wish ill on anyone, but it makes me sincerely distraught to think someone might willingly trade ophthalmology -- and Davis!! -- for IM.

Man, I can't even fathom it. I interviewed there last year and didn't match there (or anywhere); this year they didn't offer me another interview :( It was one of the few missed opportunities I was genuinely bummed about. And then someone just goes and gives it up! Argh. I'm going to believe it was some sort of personal emergency... not that I wish ill on anyone, but it makes me sincerely distraught to think someone might willingly trade ophthalmology -- and Davis!! -- for IM.

Not so surprising. A number of us deep into our PGY-2 year were thinking quite seriously about going back to medicine after the year was done. You are quite isolated as a general ophthalmologist, and you don't really have any of the life-and-death scenarios that make intern year so memorable. It's not until you start operating in full flow that you realize the true potential of the field.

Yuck. I would quit medicine altogether before going into internal medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh, I can't express the depth of my hatred for inpatient floors. Also I'd die if I never set foot in an OR again!

Reactions: 1 users
Not so surprising. A number of us deep into our PGY-2 year were thinking quite seriously about going back to medicine after the year was done. You are quite isolated as a general ophthalmologist, and you don't really have any of the life-and-death scenarios that make intern year so memorable. It's not until you start operating in full flow that you realize the true potential of the field.

Memorable LOL. I think you are referring to all the things I hated about that year. But to each his own.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize I'm the minority! But I loved intern year. And I'm not the only one! :)

Totally dude. I know there are people who "loved all their rotations" and could have been happy with anything. I didn't mind wards actually because my intern year had awesome teaching rounds and our staff were super supportive. However, I never could envision myself as a hosptalist. My second choice/ back up was pathology or radiology I recognize I'm weird for that, but I'm so happy I matched Ophtho... I enjoy patient care and surgery.

Reading this thread is cracking me up! Training at a busy intern program has certainly left me with some memorable moments. Honestly this year (my intern year in IM) has gone very quickly and the rotations where I am essentially calling the shots have been the most enjoyable/memorable. Not to mention, being a Doctor is a pretty sweet job. But the first couple months of intern year were certainly challenging (picking up 10 patients on wards or up to 8 in the MICU could get a bit busy and stressful). In the last 4 months of intern year I am definitely looking forward to seeing more fundi, using the slit lap again, and getting into the OR again. But incoming interns beware, if you go into intern year longing for Ophthalmology... it could make for a long year indeed (unless u are lucky enough to land yourself a nice TY).