Any One From Africa with experience with Malaria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nin012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in finding out about bed nets in Africa and if they are used as a standard defense, if people are educated about them, etc. Are bed nets in Africa easy to come by and accessible, or are they too expensive and hard to find?

Members don't see this ad.

nin012 said:
I am interested in finding out about bed nets in Africa and if they are used as a standard defense, if people are educated about them, etc. Are bed nets in Africa easy to come by and accessible, or are they too expensive and hard to find?

Even if we never had them in y house..I know for sure they are easy to find in a lot of African countries including mine and are for what i remembered pretty affordable...
My grand parents have them in their house..people do use them as a standard defense...and i never saw somebody being educate about them..some areas have so many moskitoes that the use of bed net make sens automatically....for many families

nin012 said:

When I immigrated from Nigeria to Canada, I was diagnosed with malaria. I recovered pretty easily, but from what I remember, we didn't have nets in Nigeria. Then again, that was in 1991, so times have likely changed. But when I do go camping here (there are TONS of mosquitos during the summer months in Manitoba) I MUST have a bug net. It really helps me keep my sanity, and my skin looking smooth. :cool: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
When I lived in Burkina Faso, West Africa (2002-2004) most of the population did not have bed nets despite the prevalence of malaria. Unfortunately the nets were too expensive for many of the people, despite some nice efforts of non-governmental organizations. I did see some educational training on bed nets, but most people did not feel they could afford them, even if it would save them money in the long run (ie: it would be cheaper to buy a bed net then to continually pay for malarial medication).

akinf said:
When I immigrated from Nigeria to Canada, I was diagnosed with malaria. I recovered pretty easily, but from what I remember, we didn't have nets in Nigeria. Then again, that was in 1991, so times have likely changed. But when I do go camping here (there are TONS of mosquitos during the summer months in Manitoba) I MUST have a bug net. It really helps me keep my sanity, and my skin looking smooth. :cool: :p

yeah, i would have to say that based on my experiences during the time i spent in nigeria, majority of the local population do not use bed nets. the reasons might include

1. poor education on the use of bed nets
2. most houses have screen doors and mosquito netting over the windows
3. most africans in the sub-saharan region are partially immune to malaria
4. we've all had it and all our friends have had it and it's so easily treated there that we don't see what the big deal is. (most of us have heard about cases that have ended in death but very few of us have ever known anyone who's died from malaria).

so i agree with akinf, well except on the smooth skin issue, seeing is believing :laugh: