Any non-trads that were single heading into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolkul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you end up meeting someone later in life and settling down? Did you manage to have a relationship in medical school and residency (seems impossible)?

I'm a bit worried I'll be too old to get married. I'll probably be 36 when I finish residency and it's starting to weigh on me.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of people meet partners in medical school and residency. You are allowed to get married at any stage of training...

Lots of people meet partners in medical school and residency. You are allowed to get married at any stage of training...

No I get that, but considering my age, I feel like being older than a lot of other students will be an impedance to getting married. Honestly, I'm going through a rough period with a relationship right now and it's daunting to know that I will be single heading into a time where I will have limited personal time like dating and getting married. Getting married and having kids was honestly never a priority for me, hence why I chose to live my life slowly and not apply for med schools later in life. However, perspectives change as you get older, especially when facing a new change in life.

Reactions: 1 user
True but you meet residents, nurses, OTs, and grad students too. You can always do things like online dating like you would do anyway. I would probably take into account your interest in meeting someone in your choice of med school if you get multiple acceptances and they are otherwise fairly equal. I also don't think your age is too old at all, lots of med/grad students are your age.