any neurosurgeons who got 1300 on the SAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surgeon_hopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really messed up on the SAT and got 1310/1600 (M+CR...not out of 2400. If I got 1310/2400 I'd actually slit my wrist). Is there any hope of still becoming a neurologist or neurosurgeon because I've always thought of any doctor as being 1500+ type people, or should I bascially give up because I will be unable to compete with you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I really messed up on the SAT and got 1310/1600 (M+CR...not out of 2400. If I got 1310/2400 I'd actually slit my wrist). Is there any hope of still becoming a neurologist or neurosurgeon because I've always thought of any doctor as being 1500+ type people, or should I bascially give up because I will be unable to compete with you guys?

The key to your dream is to never give up, and not thinking about slitting your wrist whenever you are frustrated.

Learn to be yourself (a teenager) before ever thinking about being a doctor.

Hey man, here's the truth:

The SAT doesn't mean anything when it comes to being a neurosurgeon or even getting into medical school.

Where you're at in life, just worry about becoming a well-rounded person. Play sports, hang out with friends, do some medical-type volunteer work if you want.

Your next professional goal is to just get into college.

Once in college, study hard, do well on the MCAT, and get into medical school.

All medical schools look at in terms of scores are college grads (GPA) and MCAT scores.

But the bottom line is don't give up because of your SAT score; it doesn't mean crap. If anyone tries to convince you of anything else, they're full of it.

Later,
-Jason

PS: Feel free to email if you have further questions. [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude -

Neurosurgeons are intelligent people. They've been intelligent, mostly.

a 1300 SAT means you are pretty good, but not the best of the best.

it's okay, it doesn't mean you'll never be good enough, but if you progress at that rate, you will be unlikely to do well enough to attain something that competitive

SATs? You are still a kid, enjoy being a kid. But college; make changes, do well, get into med school, do well there too, and then become a neurosurgeon.

It's great you want neurosurgery, don't give up your dream, but realize that a 1300 student translated to a situation where you should be thinking of applying - forget it.

Sorry, this post is harsh, and maybe a bit too blunt. Enjoy being a kid, but start doing better on your exams. SATs won't hurt you at all, but improve your ethic, and i'm sure you can do well enough to get here.

Bad MCATs - no med school; no med school, no brain surgeon.
marginal MCATs, DO school/caribbean --> neurosurgery extremely difficult
Good MCATs - good med school -- good boards -- neurosurgery

My advice is to take a deep breath and relax. You have so much time to decide who you are and what you want to be!

Focus on having fun, studying hard, reading good books, and developing relationships with friends, family, and significant others.

Worry about college, extracurricular activities, and a possible major for now.

In a couple of years when college rolls around, you can concern yourself more with becoming a good, well-rounded student, performing well on the MCAT, and matriculating into the medical school of your choice.

In medical school, you can concern yourself with becoming the variety of doctor you most want to be.

Best wishes!

1310! Jesus man, did you have a stroke on the way to the test center? LOL, listen, like other people are saying the test itself doesn't mean anything but c'mon...think long and hard about if you're just fooling yourself thinking you can cut it in a field like NS. It sounds like you think you're a smart guy, but most people think they are smart, national tests are the way we determine who is really smart and you got a score indicating you'd be a good banker or maybe I'd let you do my taxes (what was the math breakdown on your score?) but if you wanted to open my head I'd take my chances with an aneurysm. 1310! priceless!

Can you reccomend some good emo bands?

Dude -

Neurosurgeons are intelligent people. They've been intelligent, mostly.

a 1300 SAT means you are pretty good, but not the best of the best.

it's okay, it doesn't mean you'll never be good enough, but if you progress at that rate, you will be unlikely to do well enough to attain something that competitive

SATs? You are still a kid, enjoy being a kid. But college; make changes, do well, get into med school, do well there too, and then become a neurosurgeon.

It's great you want neurosurgery, don't give up your dream, but realize that a 1300 student translated to a situation where you should be thinking of applying - forget it.

Sorry, this post is harsh, and maybe a bit too blunt. Enjoy being a kid, but start doing better on your exams. SATs won't hurt you at all, but improve your ethic, and i'm sure you can do well enough to get here.

Bad MCATs - no med school; no med school, no brain surgeon.
marginal MCATs, DO school/caribbean --> neurosurgery extremely difficult
Good MCATs - good med school -- good boards -- neurosurgery

are you serious? if so you are an idiot

no offense intented, this entire thread is a joke?

Reactions: 1 user
1310! Jesus man, did you have a stroke on the way to the test center? LOL, listen, like other people are saying the test itself doesn't mean anything but c'mon...think long and hard about if you're just fooling yourself thinking you can cut it in a field like NS. It sounds like you think you're a smart guy, but most people think they are smart, national tests are the way we determine who is really smart and you got a score indicating you'd be a good banker or maybe I'd let you do my taxes (what was the math breakdown on your score?) but if you wanted to open my head I'd take my chances with an aneurysm. 1310! priceless!

**** that.

Have fun with your audit, dynx. If I wanted someone to fill out my 1040 with a crayon wearing a helmet I'd grab a kid off the swingset.

who ever said the SAT measures intelligence? You can learn how to take the test. I started out with a sub 1300 score, and eventually ended up with a 1500+ score. You probably didn't spend enough time practicing for the test. Now you know that you'll have to work much harder to nail down the MCAT. Don't blow it off, because the MCAT is serious business when it comes to med school admissions.

That's your first priority. Get into a US med school (preferablly allopathic med). That should keep you occupied for a while--then you can worry about this whole nsg thing.

**** that.

Have fun with your audit, dynx. If I wanted someone to fill out my 1040 with a crayon wearing a helmet I'd grab a kid off the swingset.

Thats true, I could lose everything I own because 1310 boy there is distracted by a shiny piece of metal and forgets to carry a 1. What was I thinking?

I would have suggested McDonalds but the problem with that is you have a bunch of these 1250-1350 folks working in one place they are bound to figure out how to procreate and BAM! more stupid people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats true, I could lose everything I own because 1310 boy there is distracted by a shiny piece of metal and forgets to carry a 1. What was I thinking?

I would have suggested McDonalds but the problem with that is you have a bunch of these 1250-1350 folks working in one place they are bound to figure out how to procreate and BAM! more stupid people.

Doesn't the government put these sort of people in a hospital or something? I mean how did the OP even get out of his cage long enough to find and figure out how to operate a computer?

Doesn't the government put these sort of people in a hospital or something? I mean how did the OP even get out of his cage long enough to find and figure out how to operate a computer?

He must have slipped through the cracks. My guess is he was once a normal person who suffered some acute form of brain injury. He's probably wandered around keeping low key, eating twigs and berries, gaining skills in mimicking normal behavior. He likely has some rudimentary keyboarding skills left from his pre-******ed days and stumbled across a computer already logged onto SDN. Luckily, now that he has taken the SAT and apparently failed to even spell his name correctly on it....the government will be aware he exists and can focus on finding him. Its scary really.

jesus christ you guys take no prisoners do you? :laugh:

jesus christ you guys take no prisoners do you? :laugh:

Well we just don't want to get stuck with changing his diaper and wiping the drool off his chest every 30 minutes when we finally catch him.

are you serious? if so you are an idiot

an idiot who scored higher than you on his SATs, probably MCATs too, and soon, the boards. :laugh:

i'm just kidding. in all seriousness, congrats radiodog, you proved to be one of the exception. you turned from an average student in highschool (maybe slightly above) to an exceptional one, and you deserve kudos

but in all honesty, not everyone's an exception; otherwise they wouldnt be called that. this kid needs to become one, and i'm letting him know that he needs to make changes. he needs to become like you; and you by now know that people don't radically change overnight

Yes, 1300 is quite decent. but remember everyone on this forum are doctors/doctors-to-be. to get into med school, theyre quite smart. if you polled an average SAT for medical students, residents, and beyond, i doubt a 1300 is going to quite cut it. and if he wants neurosurgery, most certainly not.

SATs mean nothing? Not true. If you think it means nothing kid (OP), you've lost. It should be a wakeup call. but in terms of getting into med school and residency, yes, this guy's right, it means nothing

This is absolutely f***ing hilarious. OP, please tell us this was a joke. If God forbid this is a serious inquiry ... don't worry about your SAT score. Instead, worry about being a complete tool.

an idiot who scored higher than you on his SATs, probably MCATs too, and soon, the boards. :laugh:

i'm just kidding. in all seriousness, congrats radiodog, you proved to be one of the exception. you turned from an average student in highschool (maybe slightly above) to an exceptional one, and you deserve kudos

Seriously, you have an issue. I hope you never operate on anyone I know.

Too many threads unrelated to NS.

*yawns*

alright, listen up OP

if you were my neurosurgeon and you told me you got a 1300 on your SAT, i would NEVER let you operate on me. patients demand the absolute best and SAT is a universal marker of intelligence/achievement.

ON THE OTHER HAND, your SAT score means very little for your target of reaching medical school and becoming a NS. i know tons of average high school students that go onto mediocre colleges, have an epiphany about studying/learning, excel in undergrad, get into an average med school b/c of their no-name undergrad, and then become AOA top honors students b/c they know how to learn and study and be diligent.

in essence, your SAT score itself will not be an obstacle for you to become a NS. but if you don't demand excellence from yourself and push yourself to the maximum until you break 1500, you don't have the gunner/persevering mentality to be a neurosurgeon and go through 7 years of arguably the hardest residency in the world. fix your study habits and become more eager to learn and start dominating from now on.

i have a feeling that when you actually start studying your maximum, you'll realize hard work is overrated and you will no longer want the lifestyle of a NS! its easy for your lazy ass to watch shepherd on grey's or shepherd on lost and dream of wanting to be like them. but u don't see the work that goes into it. then you'll go into radiology, like me!

"if you were my neurosurgeon and you told me you got a 1300 on your SAT, i would NEVER let you operate on me. patients demand the absolute best and SAT is a universal marker of intelligence/achievement."

1380-1560=25-75%ile at Princeton, the number 1 ranked university.

So even at the best school in the nation 25+% percent of the students are in the 1300's.

Neurosurgery is not that hard. You could train a monkey to do it. It takes a long time to train but its not one of the more intellectual fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.