Any need to change ophtho ps for prelim app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hbs

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have to modify my ophtho oriented personal statement much (other than the last paragraph about what I want out of a prelim) to submit it for the medicine prelim programs? I would appreciate any input, especially from those who have gone through the match.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you wrote. If you wrote how you love ophthalmology, then such paragraph is inappropriate. If you are lazy, you could use such a paragraph but place a disclaimer stating that you love ophthalmology and want to do a year of internship before that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't change it and I've already gotten prelim interview offers. I was going to but convinced myself that it wouldn't matter to the prelims. They know your time at their program is temporary and it's a stepping stone to your ultimate goal. You don't need separate letters attesting to how well-suited you are for a prelim year, so I couldn't see why it should be any different for the personal statement.

prelim programs are well aware of your long term intentions. if your personal statement represents you well then use it. i didn't change a word of mine and i've gotten a number of interview offers.

rm