Any need for winter jacket??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzylique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was any need for a winter jacket over in dublin??
I don't imagine it gets very cold there but it'd be nice to know what to bring.

I also heard that it's a good idea to buy rain jackets and pants in canada before arriving in dublin... True?? If so... what should i look for??!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

benzylique said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was any need for a winter jacket over in dublin??
I don't imagine it gets very cold there but it'd be nice to know what to bring.

I also heard that it's a good idea to buy rain jackets and pants in canada before arriving in dublin... True?? If so... what should i look for??!

thanks!
The need for a winter jacket really depends on what kind of a person you are. If you are the kind of person who is always cold and only wears shorts if it gets about 35, then you probably need a winter jacket. If you are like me and wear shorts well into October in Canada, and then dig them out in April at the latest, then you don't. I personally have never worn more than a sweatwhirt and my MEC jacket, but lots of the women here wear big puffy coats and hats and mitts and scarves once October hits - personally I would melt if I wore all that. It rarely gets below zero, if that helps (like, once a year max).
As for rain gear, buy the best you can afford. It will get lots of use! :laugh:
Cheers,
M

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah i used to be one of those people wearing shorts in october too but my parents are trying to convince me to bring my winter jacket haha.

Yeah, it sounds like rainwear is something that I should definately pick up before i go! It's just so expensive for all that north face gear...!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm from Norway and well used to temperatures below -30C. But Ireland is way colder! Not in the number of degrees below 0, but with the wind and the rain it feels way colder. I wear thicker jackets here than I would back home! So bring the winter jacket, is my advice!

Is a waist-length waterproof jacket plus an umbrella enough? Or do you recommend more?

Who M.D. said:
Is a waist-length waterproof jacket plus an umbrella enough? Or do you recommend more?
Don't know about Dublin, but in Cork, aka the Windy City, an umbrella is virtually useless except for entertainment value (for others, watching you try to hang onto the thing and keep it from turning inside out). I wear my Goretex jacket, and curse the fact that I never think to buy the trousers, myself. Rain pants defiinitely a good idea here.
Cheers,
M

Lol, I agree with Med2UCC - no point in using an umbrella. Goretex is good, with a nice warm jumper underneath!

Who M.D. the waist length rain coat is fine if you're ok with the odd day of sideways rain soaking your pants on one side and the run-off from your jacket soaking the rest. These are not regular occurrences though 'cause in Cork you're usually slogging through a light drizzle.

Don't know about Dublin, but in Cork, aka the Windy City, an umbrella is virtually useless except for entertainment value (for others, watching you try to hang onto the thing and keep it from turning inside out). I wear my Goretex jacket, and curse the fact that I never think to buy the trousers, myself. Rain pants defiinitely a good idea here.
Cheers,
M

With all due respect, probably not the best idea to buy rain pants - the locals will laugh at you ... when I worked in Cork as an intern, people that wore rain pants were laughed at by the locals and always thought as tourists.

SUck it up and tolerate the rain :( .

unless you envisage being outside a lot... you don't really need that much rain gear. Just a jacket is fine, hoodies too. I don't even have a real winter jacket, I just layer. This is cuz I cycle a lot and try to keep myself as compact as possible. I have a peacoat for nice occassions. It gets damp and windy cold, but not temperature cold.

Is Dublin this vacuum of deadly rain where it falls up from the ground and sideways down the street 23 hours of the day, 6 days a week? It's just water.