any ivy leaguers with less than stellar mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

A friend told me that anybody from her school(cal tech) could get above a 33. Any truth to that.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Chankovsky
A friend told me that anybody from her school(cal tech) could get above a 33. Any truth to that.

nope

Originally posted by Chankovsky

Of course it's true. Even of the people who don't take bio or orgo there. Remember, however, that CalTech is one of the most respected and formidable Ivies. Their football team has not lost an ivy league game in years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I really hope that you all are a joking or something, 'cause CalTech isn't in the Ivy League. They aren't even in the same division as the Ivy League.

No joke. They haven't lost an Ivy League football game in years.

Originally posted by Bones2008
Ok I really hope that you all are a joking or something, 'cause CalTech isn't in the Ivy League. They aren't even in the same division as the Ivy League.

I was waiting for this response :laugh:

In my opinion, Stanford is a much better Ivy than Cal Tech.

What are you guys talking about? Caltech is one of the BEST Ivies you can attend. Stanford, Duke, Caltech, and Johns Hopkins are all great Ivy League universities and you can get a fantastic education at any one of them. Anyone see the Stanford vs. Caltech lacrosse game a few weeks ago?

do you really think the ivy league is a "football division?"

Yeah, this is kinda funny. I thought everyone knew this, but maybe not. The Ivy League is an athletic conference. Yes, it's true. Duke is in the ACC. Stanford is in the Pac-10. Michigan and Northwestern are in the Big 10. CalTech is in some weird Div III conference (Soutern Institutional blah blah blah Conference). While "Ivy League" tends to be synonymous with "great school," in actuality it's not. It's just an athletic conference that happens to have all great schools in it.

This is a really stupid thread

For anyone who does not understand the Ivy League:

The ivy schools are referred to as such because it is their sports conference. Their current football standings are below.

Overall Conference
TEAM W L W L
Pennsylvania 6 0 9 0
Yale 4 2 6 3
Harvard 3 3 6 3
Dartmouth 3 3 4 5
Brown 3 3 4 5
Columbia 3 3 4 5
Princeton 2 4 2 7
Cornell Don't know

If any applicant is going to these schools, I'd advise them to go to a real sports school for medical school in the Big Ten or Big 12 conference and find out what they missed in undergrad before it is too late.

tm

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a bit more than a sports conference. the "ivy group" also has agreements pertaining to admissions, financial aid, etc, etc. yes, it is also a football conference.

Although the Ivies are mostly known for their education they also boast the most national titles in D-I football. This may sound like another sarcastic comment but it's actually true.....check it out. And, the allegiance was originally an just as academic as athletic and is still supposed to be that way. One last funny comment, when the founders sat down to organize the original group Union was invited to join and rejected the invitation. I'll bet they wish they could have that one back.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
What are you guys talking about? Caltech is one of the BEST Ivies you can attend. Stanford, Duke, Caltech, and Johns Hopkins are all great Ivy League universities and you can get a fantastic education at any one of them. Anyone see the Stanford vs. Caltech lacrosse game a few weeks ago?

Last I checked, CalTech, Stanford, Duke, and Johns Hopkins were NOT in the Ivy League. The Ivy League pertains to only those schools from the original sports conference. Off the top of my head: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Cornell... hope I didn't leave any out. :oops:

TF

Well as far as football goes, the Ivy leaugue is now in Division I-AA and not in Division I-A.

you guys are way too serious, and yes Stanford is an Ivy. :laugh:

does anyone really care?

Wow. A little sarcasm goes a long way. Or maybe not... Maybe it's harder to tell online without the appropriate emoticon...

On another note, word on the street is that Hopkins undergrad makes it a point to let people know that it has turned down multiple invitations to join said Ivy League.

That's because Hopkins wants to continue to give out athletic and merit scholarships to have competitive athletic teams (well... mainly NCAA Division I Lacrosse... ain't much else other than that).

Originally posted by coachB
it's a bit more than a sports conference. the "ivy group" also has agreements pertaining to admissions, financial aid, etc, etc. yes, it is also a football conference.

what kind of agreements?

Originally posted by Gleevec
what kind of agreements?

we're not to talk about it but I will forfeit that it involves oral sex and Volvo station wagons.

Originally posted by indo
we're not to talk about it but I will forfeit that it involves oral sex and Volvo station wagons.

Oh, here in the ACC we get circa 1970 Volkswagon Buses.

Originally posted by DW
at emory we just got lots of coca cola
but I LOVE Pepsi and I wanna goto Emory :D

Originally posted by lowbudget
That's because Hopkins wants to continue to give out athletic and merit scholarships to have competitive athletic teams (well... mainly NCAA Division I Lacrosse... ain't much else other than that).

Especially for their stellar basketball program :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by toomuch

Overall Conference
TEAM W L W L
Pennsylvania 6 0 9 0
Yale 4 2 6 3
Harvard 3 3 6 3
Dartmouth 3 3 4 5
Brown 3 3 4 5
Columbia 3 3 4 5
Princeton 2 4 2 7
Cornell Don't know

That's right, I forgot Cornell had a football team.
Anyway, here is a nice stat for you all. Penn's football team has the longest winning streak and home winning streak in the nation (out of every conference).