MD Any insight regarding what will be a passing score for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Incoming M1 here. Step 1 will obviously be P/F for me, but I'm curious if anyone knows what would be considered "passing"? Is it something like getting over the 50th percentile (the equivalent of getting a 501 on the MCAT)? Or will it likely be much harder than that to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

It will be like 6th percentile. No way they are going to fail 50% of med students. Currently 94% of US students pass the first try.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The last time the NBME raised the fail rate of a USMLE because of stupid HMS guys who made awful arguments, the test ended up being universally hated even more by everyone until covid 19 saved the day by ending the exam for good

Very unlikely Step 1 fail rate will increase unless med students screw it up again with #EndStep2CS fiasco.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming M1 here. Step 1 will obviously be P/F for me, but I'm curious if anyone knows what would be considered "passing"? Is it something like getting over the 50th percentile (the equivalent of getting a 501 on the MCAT)? Or will it likely be much harder than that to pass?
Don't think they'd have half of all medical students fail Step 1 (pass being >50th percentile).

It has always floated around the 5th percentile for the last 10+ years. Over time that has meant creeping upwards (the modern distribution is shifted 30 points up from the 1990s).

So my guess is also that they keep it around the 5th percentile. If anything I think that will mean lowering it in the coming years, since removing all the competitive pressure will let the distribution drift back down some.

We will probably never know since we won't see numbers anymore. They'll probably just announce a First Time Pass Rate and never tell you a scaled value or percentage correct.