Any IMG's in Sugery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an US-IMG(ST. George University) hoping to go into surgery and hopefully a fellowship in surgical oncology.
I have heard that it would be nearly impossible for me to get a residency because of the fact that I am an IMG.

Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

most middle and low tier programs are easy to get into..dont sweat it..just do well on ur boards and do well in interviews

apply to the U of C...they have tons of IMGs nowadays

Members don't see this ad :)
I love how people talk smack about places and programs they clearly know nothing about. My guess is they either have nothing better to do or they have in some way been slighted by a particular program-- perhaps they were not invited to an interview, or they did not match. Or, perhaps they did match at a poor program and it makes them feel better to bash other institutions. In any case, it's interesting.:rolleyes:

What is U of C??

on a tangential note, I met a few SGU and Ross on the interview traiil and kept in touch with them after interviews. From what they told me, many of them did not match in surgery for categorical positions, only preliminary positions. What interested me was that the SGU and Ross websites boast a high match rate for their grads, but how many of these positions are just prelims? I have a cousin who was thinking of going to SGU, but I brought this point up and now she has second thoughts. Whats the deal Caribbeans?

I have personal friends that have matched in various areas of surgery including Ortho. Please don't write something that may be mis-leading. Just because you know of some students that didnt match that doesnt mean that the entire program at SGU is poor.
Thanks
Heme-ONC

no you silly goose, you miss the point, they do match, but only as prelims, which provides only one year of work then its back to ERAS again. Your school boasts great match results but many of those placements are prelim, thats all. Prelim is not the way to go unless you have no choice. So be warned!

Given the current environment of General Surgery it is not impossible to match into a program as an IMG. However, most things run a 5-7 year cycle and many are predicting that the increase in apps we saw this year is not just a fluke, but rather people encouraged to pursue a surgical career because of the proposed 80-hr workweek or because of the belief that they would now be competitive.

At any rate, if you are interested in pursuing a surgical residency there is no reason why you should not at least try. Bear in mind that the issue with Prelim vs Categorical is REAL - many schools, Not just SGU, will try and "conceal" their "true" (meaning Categorical postions for those wishing them) behind this.