any good resources out there for interview tactics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
was wodnering if there are any good books/website/magazines out there that would be good at offering many interview sample questions (applying to rads) and answers, and just general interview tips for residency.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

I think this is a valid query by the OP. I'm interested in similar resources. As interviews trickle in, how should one go about being a stellar interviewer? (thanks pirate for the creighton link!)

Keep the advice coming guys. To the matched folks - please help the applicants. Much appreciated.

I think this is a valid query by the OP. I'm interested in similar resources. As interviews trickle in, how should one go about being a stellar interviewer? (thanks pirate for the creighton link!)

Three years ago, one of my residents did a research day project entitled "Explanation for Poor Resident Applicant Interview Scores" wherin she looked at negative comments on post-interview evals for all applicants in a five year time frame. The most common negative comment (by far) was "Didn't seem interested," which encompasses elements such as lack of eye contact, questions for interviewers, focus when not being interviewed (particularly on the facilities tour), or sense of energy/enthusiasm.

Other common negative comments included "Difficult to talk to" which could mean both too quiet/standoffish or too controlling of the conversation, "Overconfident," which is the residents code word for arrogant, and the ubiquitous "Not a good fit" which could mean just about anything.

Apart from her study, I would also stress the importance of attending pre-interview events (such as dinners or breakfasts) if possible. Sometimes travel arrangements don’t permit it, but I’ve had more than one applicant tell me they were visiting with a relative in the area instead of attending our function. Not a good idea.

Finally, remember that you are always being “interviewed” even if you are not in a formal interview setting. Don't drink too much alcohol at dinner (if provided), and watch your language around the residents just like you would the faculty. It should go without saying that your interactions with the PA/PC should always be polite and professional--but you should really extend that rule to all the administrative staff. Introverts will need encouragement to come “out of their comfort zone” a bit while extroverts may need to reign themselves in a bit so they don't come across as domineering.

Everyone we invite for an interview is academically well qualified for our program. In the interview, we are primarily looking for enthusiasm for what our program has to offer and how well the applicants fit with the personalities of our current residents.

OP – I’m not going to give you the answers to my interview questions. I don't want to hear a canned response. Where’s the fun in that? It’s definitely more fun telling you guys and gals what not to do.

In addition to the excellent advice from mcl, watch what you say about other people and programs. If you’ve done away rotations, I’m going to ask you about your experiences. It’s a turn off during an interview when an applicant bad mouths another program or a specific individual to me. Who knows what they’re going around saying about me and my program? Also, while honesty is appreciated, be careful about providing TMI. Once asked a question about problem solving and managing difficult situations. The applicant proceeded to tell me about a personal relationship he had with a resident that ended badly. Ew.

Which brings me to my favorite personal interview anecdote on interview no-no’s. If you happened to be a gymnast, dancer or contortionist prior to med school, I don't need to see how flexible you still are during the interview. That’s just not appropriate. At all.