any flexible electives at GKT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be spending a month at GKT (I'm a 4th year medical student in New York) and wanted to know of any good and flexible electives? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

E'01 said:
I'll be spending a month at GKT (I'm a 4th year medical student in New York) and wanted to know of any good and flexible electives? Thanks!
Guy's, King's and St. Thomas' in London, right? GKT is a good place (but i would say that), what are you interested in, and what do you mean by 'flexible' and 'good'?
There are loads of students at all the hospitals, and its a busy central london location. doctors are busy, but often v nice and prepared to give some teaching. there are interesting things to see, urm, not sure what else you'd like to know?

Zazoo said:
Guy's, King's and St. Thomas' in London, right? GKT is a good place (but i would say that), what are you interested in, and what do you mean by 'flexible' and 'good'?
There are loads of students at all the hospitals, and its a busy central london location. doctors are busy, but often v nice and prepared to give some teaching. there are interesting things to see, urm, not sure what else you'd like to know?

Well in terms of flexible, I meant no call and the ability to travel on the weekends. I'm looking to do a palliative care or psychiatry elective because I'm interested in both subject matters. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
E'01 said:
Well in terms of flexible, I meant no call and the ability to travel on the weekends. I'm looking to do a palliative care or psychiatry elective because I'm interested in both subject matters. Thanks!

i wasn't ever on call when i did psychiatry - haven't done palliative care, so couldn't say. generally speaking we don't do many on-calls at GKT (i had 4 over the whole of my third year, each time i was heavily encouraged to go home!), so you should be ok. i can imagine you'll be free for most, if not all, your weekends.
if you want to do psych, try to do it in the Maudsley/institute of psychiatry - i had a fantastic learning experience there.
because its a busy teaching hospital/s you would probably have alot of control over your own time, and how you choose to spend it. you could make your elective as laid back, or as busy as you want it to be.
hope that helps!

Zazoo said:
i wasn't ever on call when i did psychiatry - haven't done palliative care, so couldn't say. generally speaking we don't do many on-calls at GKT (i had 4 over the whole of my third year, each time i was heavily encouraged to go home!), so you should be ok. i can imagine you'll be free for most, if not all, your weekends.
if you want to do psych, try to do it in the Maudsley/institute of psychiatry - i had a fantastic learning experience there.
because its a busy teaching hospital/s you would probably have alot of control over your own time, and how you choose to spend it. you could make your elective as laid back, or as busy as you want it to be.
hope that helps!

I really appreciate your input! Now the next hassle is to find housing :oops: