Any doctors/med school students who did bad in high school?

redence

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright I'm halfway done with my senior year of high school. My GPA is a 3.5 but my ACT/SAT scores are a bit low. ACT, I got between a 23-26/36. And as a result of my low standardized test scores, I feel like I'll do poorly on the MCAT as well, according to my parents as well. My parents give me soo much negativity thats it's affecting my confidence. Especially since out of all my siblings, I'm not one of those "natural"/fast learners. I even kinda sucked at Chemistry/Physics, but I like Biology. In fact, I'm even taking AP Bio atm, however I'm not doing good at it. My freshman year of high school, I didn't know how to study, and I didn't even take any honors or AP classes. Sophomore year, I took a little more honors classes and did decent on them. As I got to junior and senior year, I took a couple of AP classes each year, on top of my couple of honors classes. I slowly increased my difficulty of classes, however I was usually a B+/A- student, except in Physics and Chemistry. I got low B's in those classes, and my parents believe those classes determine critical thinking, in which I suck at. Just to let you know, I was also a varsity wrestler all throughout high school winter seasons, and with not eating/cutting weight had some negative effects on my studying. As of today, due to wrestling I still don't get enough sleep/food. I sleep in 80% of my classes. I come home and study with all the time I have. I'm not one of those natural fast learners, will I be able to survive premed in college?

Members don't see this ad.

How many times have you asked this question before? If you didn't accept those answers by now, you won't by the end of this thread either.

Reactions: 3 users
Alright I'm halfway done with my senior year of high school. My GPA is a 3.5 but my ACT/SAT scores are a bit low. ACT, I got between a 23-26/36. And as a result of my low standardized test scores, I feel like I'll do poorly on the MCAT as well, according to my parents as well. My parents give me soo much negativity thats it's affecting my confidence. Especially since out of all my siblings, I'm not one of those "natural"/fast learners. I even kinda sucked at Chemistry/Physics, but I like Biology. In fact, I'm even taking AP Bio atm, however I'm not doing good at it. My freshman year of high school, I didn't know how to study, and I didn't even take any honors or AP classes. Sophomore year, I took a little more honors classes and did decent on them. As I got to junior and senior year, I took a couple of AP classes each year, on top of my couple of honors classes. I slowly increased my difficulty of classes, however I was usually a B+/A- student, except in Physics and Chemistry. I got low B's in those classes, and my parents believe those classes determine critical thinking, in which I suck at. Just to let you know, I was also a varsity wrestler all throughout high school winter seasons, and with not eating/cutting weight had some negative effects on my studying. As of today, due to wrestling I still don't get enough sleep/food. I sleep in 80% of my classes. I come home and study with all the time I have. I'm not one of those natural fast learners, will I be able to survive premed in college?
Why don't you drop out of the wrestling team since it has such a negative impact on your academics?

Last edited:
C's get degrees, man.

Drop wrestling ASAP. It has nothing to do with academics and more to do with the fact that chronic insomnia and malnutrition can kill you very dead.

Tell your parents to choke on a laryngoscope. If someone is telling you that you will or will get into med school, ask yourself: is this person on my school of choice's admissions board? If the answer is no, save yourself an ulcer or two and reduce their volume to background noise.

You are not dumb by any means. A 3.5 GPA and slightly above-average ACT score will buy you a ticket to an undergrad school, and you should know that literally nothing you have done academically matters even a little bit until you start college. You have over 3 years to slay chem/physics and bump up that GPA. That is a sizable amount of time. Pick a major you like and it'll be even easier. Above all, go to class no matter how hungover or congested you are.

I'm a GED student about to start my clinicals as an EMT, and pretty soon I'll be submitting my application for a paramedic technician associate's program at *gasp* a community college. Then I'm rolling on out to a mediocre state school on a full ride to bust my butt and kill the MCAT. With all that in mind, I have never been told by a physician, professor, or academic adviser that I will stand less of a chance of acceptance to med school than anyone else. GPA, MCAT, and clinical experience are the sacred triad of winning that battle (though money and emotional stability won't hurt, either).

Medical school isn't a presidential election, my guy. You don't have to sell your soul to get there.