Any DO schools allow rotations in UK or Scandinavia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moses

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would applying to Osteopathic schools, limit the opportunities to go to different countries to do rotations? Do these countries that allow ONLY manipulation as treatments for patients, recognize students that are in training as DO's? I know most MD schools, would not limit this ability. I'm not sure if a country that doesnt allow DO's to practice, would allow students to rotate in their hospitals? Hope someone at sum school can set this straight. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that Kirksville is working to set up rotations at Cambridge. My personal guess is that it's just a matter of time until DOs can rotate through in these countries, but it seems as if it will take awhile before they can practice. It's very difficult to practice in Europe as it is with an MD, and so for a DO who has to overcome the hurdle of similarly-named osteopaths with totally different levels of responsibilities, the barriers are pretty high.

Definitely not insurmountable, though. Write your ambassador! I'd love to see expanded int'l practice rights, but it will only happen with concerted effort by doctors who want it to happen.

I've been told that I can arrange my own foreign rotation. I just have to fill out all of the usual paperwork for approval and have a licensed physician overseeing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moses,

What DrMom said is true with any school. You do the leg work and you can pretty much go anywhere.

With the recent recognition of DOs as physicians in Canda, we are one step closer to being recognized world wide as physicians. It is great to see that many people's hard work to further the profession will soon pay off.

Ben

Originally posted by moses
I know the UK is out as far as FULL rights go for now--correct?

That's actually not true. US-trained DOs can have full rights, but UK-trained DOs are only taught manipulation so they don't have full rights.

I know a DO who did a fellowship in the UK.

My advice is to stay away from the scandinavian schools. I have been going to medical school in Sweden for the last three years and I am very disappointed. So disappointed that I am quiting here and planing to apply to medical school for the fall of 2004 in the US to start all over again. The education is very poor when it comes to the clinicals. If you still want to come to europe and do a rotation then do it in britain. That is the ONLY country I would say the rotations are good.

The foreign rotations that you can set up are for your 4th year rotations, not your third year roations(at least that's how it is at NYCOM). You do the paperwork and talk to people in the other country and work it out and submit it to your school and you're good to go. Whether they allow you to do much in the other courntry is something you'd have to look into further(I don't know much about it)

I'm pretty sure that US-trained DO's cannot have full practice rights in the UK. This is based on the international licensure specs that are floating around and what osteopathic school reps have told me. I could be wrong, but I'm 99% certain that it's not possible to gain licensure in the UK as a DO.

Originally posted by lukealfredwhite
I'm pretty sure that US-trained DO's cannot have full practice rights in the UK. This is based on the international licensure specs that are floating around and what osteopathic school reps have told me. I could be wrong, but I'm 99% certain that it's not possible to gain licensure in the UK as a DO.

Considering you can do a fellowship there, this obviously can't be true.

I'm not sure what they'd do if you planned on living there permanently, though. They may have different rules for training.