Any dentists with scoliosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveButterfly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Taking into account extremely high dental school tuition, I think you should inquire how easily you could get a disability insurance
It might be a dream killer. A lot of companies put existing conditions on the exclusion list and monthly payments are quite high, if you have any health problems. You can get a group disability through your local dental organization, but it is only $5000 per month in my state. Would it be enough to support you and family?
Just something to think about

Reactions: 1 users
Taking into account extremely high dental school tuition, I think you should inquire how easily you could get a disability insurance
It might be a dream killer. A lot of companies put existing conditions on the exclusion list and monthly payments are quite high, if you have any health problems. You can get a group disability through your local dental organization, but it is only $5000 per month in my state. Would it be enough to support you and family?
Just something to think about
Would you happen to know where I can inquire about this information? I don't know much about disability insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

PS. Is it true that orthodontic braces can worsen/cause scoliosis? I've read some studies on it, but only scoliosis in adolescents. I'm a bit concerned since I just got braces on my lower teeth for the next 6 months!

Oh man. You're doomed. Braces only on your lower teeth? Hope you do not have a deep OB with minimal OJ. Aligning lower incisors usually flares them FORWARD. Without sufficient OJ or not doing some IPR (inter-prox reduction) you will build in an anterior premature contact in CR thereby forcing your mandible to function in a posterior relationship causing TMJ which can indirectly affect your posture. You know what else causes a posteriorly displaced mandible? Crowns on #7-10 with inadequate lingual reduction in the presence of a deep OB with minimal OJ causing the SAME excessive anterior contact forcing the mandible posteriorly thereby possibly affecting posture.

Conventional braces gives the dentist the highest chance at correcting saggital and vertical issues.

Here. Let me correct your statement.

PS. Is it true that ALIGNERS can worsen/cause scoliosis?

Just giving you a hard time. Hope you find your answers here. :)

Oh man. You're doomed. Braces only on your lower teeth? Hope you do not have a deep OB with minimal OJ. Aligning lower incisors usually flares them FORWARD. Without sufficient OJ or not doing some IPR (inter-prox reduction) you will build in an anterior premature contact in CR thereby forcing your mandible to function in a posterior relationship causing TMJ which can indirectly affect your posture. You know what else causes a posteriorly displaced mandible? Crowns on #7-10 with inadequate lingual reduction in the presence of a deep OB with minimal OJ causing the SAME excessive anterior contact forcing the mandible posteriorly thereby possibly affecting posture.

Conventional braces gives the dentist the highest chance at correcting saggital and vertical issues.

Here. Let me correct your statement.

PS. Is it true that ALIGNERS can worsen/cause scoliosis?

Just giving you a hard time. Hope you find your answers here. :)
LOL. Well, I was sweating reading the first part of your post. Dentists always have the most peculiar sense of humor haha. Thanks for your response :)

I don’t have scoliosis but my classmate from dental school does. She’s a good friend and has been practicing for 11 years. She maybe mentioned it once or twice because she was going for a massage to help with it. It doesn’t seem to affect her much as a dentist. She works full time. I’ve never seen her miss work. I would trust your physician on this. Make sure you get disability insurance while still a student and it will be cheaper. By the time you graduate you will see you won’t be the only one with health issues. Another friend waited to purchase after practicing for a few years and by then she had been diagnosed with a cardiac condition that doesn’t affect her day to day life. It was more expensive but she was able to purchase. You will be fine. Good luck with everything.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t have scoliosis but my classmate from dental school does. She’s a good friend and has been practicing for 11 years. She maybe mentioned it once or twice because she was going for a massage to help with it. It doesn’t seem to affect her much as a dentist. She works full time. I’ve never seen her miss work. I would trust your physician on this. Make sure you get disability insurance while still a student and it will be cheaper. By the time you graduate you will see you won’t be the only one with health issues. Another friend waited to purchase after practicing for a few years and by then she had been diagnosed with a cardiac condition that doesn’t affect her day to day life. It was more expensive but she was able to purchase. You will be fine. Good luck with everything.
Thank you so much for your response and insight! It was a big help and motivation to me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello - I'm late jumping into your conversation, but I am a 53-year old female dentist with scoliosis that is beginning to affect my practice a little. Now my upper & lower curves are almost 50 degrees. I have been fortunate not to have too much pain in the past, but am learning that after age 50 curves may progress 1 degree/year. If I had things to do over again I would (1) work with a physician who takes scoliosis seriously - it seems most do not know much about it. Work with a therapist or chiropractor to learn how to take care of your back. And (2) when I purchased disability insurance there is a clause that says if my disability is caused by scoliosis, it will not pay benefits. I was like you at a young age not worried about it but now I wish it was there just in case.
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users