Any chance of becoming a US resident (originally Canadian) for cheaper tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E_wen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Canadian student and I applied to Waterloo and a bunch of US schools in case I don't get into Waterloo. Tuition and living costs is the #1 concern for me so that's why Waterloo is my #1 choice. If I went to the states I'd have to pay $50k per year minimum, whereas at Waterloo it'd be around $20k per year everything included.

Anyone know of any possibilities of becoming American either immediately after starting school there or perhaps in a year or so to be able to pay the in-state tuition? There's a chance I may stay there afterwards anyway, who knows. I just want to avoid paying $250k compared to $100k if I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue, but not all schools have in-state/out-of-state tuition differentials, only public schools. It would be best to ask each optometry school separately, because they might have different policies. For example, if you're a US citizen but an out of state resident for a public school, some will let you become an in-state student after 1 year (like Berkeley and SUNY) and some won't (like UMSL and IUSO). I'm pretty sure Berkeley has some scholarships in place to make it easier on Canadian students, definitely ask them about it if you're interested in Berkeley at all.

To receive an in-state tuition you must be a landed permanent resident or citizen of U.S . Canadians are treated as international students.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a Canadian student and I applied to Waterloo and a bunch of US schools in case I don't get into Waterloo. Tuition and living costs is the #1 concern for me so that's why Waterloo is my #1 choice. If I went to the states I'd have to pay $50k per year minimum, whereas at Waterloo it'd be around $20k per year everything included.

Anyone know of any possibilities of becoming American either immediately after starting school there or perhaps in a year or so to be able to pay the in-state tuition? There's a chance I may stay there afterwards anyway, who knows. I just want to avoid paying $250k compared to $100k if I can.
There is no way other than finding an American and marrying them.

Reactions: 1 users

Get married to a U.S. Citizen, and settle down and be a permanent resident. There is no other way around or meet the waterloo standard for acceptance!!!!