Any chance in hell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canukmd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FMG - Caribbean School

Step 1 - 83/199 (obviously didn't go well)
Step 2 - 235/95

LOR's: 1 IM and 2 from MD Anesthesiologist

Do I have a snowball's chance in hell? My LOR's were just uploaded to ERAS last Friday (4 days ago) and I have not rcv'd any interviews but have already rcv'd some "thanks but no thanks" emails from some programs...

Perhaps I'm reaching for the moon?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will get interviews and match if you play your cards right. If you're bound geographically, things could be harder depending on what area though. Care to share how many places you applied to?

Don't be disouraged. You definetely have a chance. Obviously your best bet is at places where you rotated, as long as you are not a total "jake-leg." Be ready to explain the disparity in scores on interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
east coast, you'll get a good chance of getting a spot. California, just forget it. they weigh a lot on step 1 scores

Nice job on step-2. Best of luck.

Yes, you will get interviews and match if you play your cards right. If you're bound geographically, things could be harder depending on what area though. Care to share how many places you applied to?

No - don't mind sharing at all.

Actually kinda embarassed to admit it but i applied to the bulk of the programs out there barring TX and CA. I think I hit up most of the places on the east coast except for the really big names where my application would be placed in the circular file automatically.

Seeing as that I applied to a helluva lot of places and have yet to hear anything positive I'm getting a little antsy - got plenty of "no thanks" so far.

Txs to all that replied to this thread - it's giving me some shred of hope.

ok so now i'm starting to get really discouraged here...it seems like everyone and there mother has interviews lined up and i've bascially got nothing...understandably so i guess seeing as that my step 1 sucked AND i'm a caribbean fmg

is it bad taste/form to start calling programs now to enquire about my status or should i just let the rejection emails trickle in?

I know this is kind of a harsh question to ask after the fact, but why did you WAIT SO LONG to apply? Especially being an FMG, you should have applied in Sept. You probably go to St. George's or Ross U. So, you're already at a disadvantage. Some (though not most) don't even look at FMG apps.

It's really really late at this point. Programs out West, community programs, and so called "less desired" places may be the best bet. Sometimes calling is discouraged and secretaries get pissed off. I know one voice mail said Please DO NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE if you are an applicant. I know this because I have friends applying for anesthesia this year that are in the same boat as you.

Most of the rounds of interview invites have been sent out over the last 3-4 weeks and ALL the slots have been filled. The new invites trickling in are from programs that have spots opening up from people cancelling.

Good luck... hope it works out