Any Case Western or OSU students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a student applying to undergraduate schools this year. I was wondering which of these schools (CWRU or OSU) have better pre-med. programs and research opportunities? If you attend one of these schools, what do you like/dislike about it and why? Thanks for your responses.

Punchap

Members don't see this ad.

Between OSU, which I am assuming you mean Ohio State and Case Western, to me it seems as almost a no brainer. I would definitely choose CWRU, they have an immense amount of research being done there. Also if you are interested in biomedical research there is the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, which also conducts a great amount of research due to the Lerner Center and Taussig Cancer center. Also I know that CWRU students perform very well on the MCAT and normally are accepted into medical school. I am not too sure about OSU, I dont mean to bask them I just happen to be more familiar with CWRU. Good luck in your decision making... Also remember its not necessarily the school that makes you a good premed candidate, its the time and effort you put into it. At either school you will have to work hard and do well in classes, the MCAT, and also spend time outside of class with extracurriculars in order to be a successful undergraduate candidate. Hope i was able to help!

Hey there! I'm a senior at Case, pre med too, and let me tell ya if you are really into research, this school is definiitely the place to be at! I mean, regardless of it being on the news all the time for its medical breakthroughs, we got University Hospitals right smack dab in the middle of campus...I did alzheimer's research for a year. It wasn't for me and all, but the only thing with Case is, the teachers are sooo stuck in their research that if you need help with something, good luck. Like if you need help with something they are teaching in the class, a lot of them are too busy, and making you feel sooo stupid because they are so high up on the academic level, they can't bring themselves down to our level, the students' level. Unfortunately, I have had a horrible experience at Case because there are very few good profs here....due to the above reasons. I would totally go to OSU, if you need help there, chances are you will get it easier than at case, and also, at case they make the material harder than it really is!!!!!! This is the number two problem wrong with the school...it's like the profs want to fail you or something. any questions, feel free to write back, I'd be happy to help you out, and spare you a lot of grief and worry that you don't need by not coming here. I also agree with the person who wrote above me that it doesn't matter what school you go to, as long as you work hard when studying for the mcat and getting good grades. I hear all the time how people from Case will get into med school over people from cleveland state for example, because of the name. THIS IS NOT TRUE AT ALL! If you have the personality, grades, and scores, you're money! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses!

KylieP54,

In choosing a college I would like to find a school that is dedicated to its students. I would like to be able to develop good relationships with my professors. Are all the teachers at Case. so stuck on themselves? Part of the reason I dislike OSU is that there are so many students in each class and little one-on-one interaction with the professors. What are some of the better aspects of CWRU? How is the student body? Thanks for your reply.

Punchap

Hey there,

Like you, I am from Ohio. If you are looking for schools that will academically prepare you for entrance in medical school, that is a toughie. I have seen students from almost every type of college make it ot medical school. It helps to some little degree that you go to a top institution but doesn't matter. If you score a relatively high MCAT (>29) and GPA (>3.5), you should be fine.

Now, I am not trying to dodge the question. I think there are some schools that are Pre-Med factories in the state of Ohio. They are not highly dedicated to just produce pre med but grant the student the opportunity to utilize every tool the college has to offer. The schools that I would consider are Miami University (Oxford,OH), Xavier University (Cincinnati), Ohio State, Denison, Case Western, and University of Dayton. I would put Miami University, Xavier, and Univ. of Dayton in my top 3 becuase they are not huge colleges that give special attention to the students.

Punchap,
Well, it depends what major you go into...if you wanna be a science major, like bio, chem, biochem, physics then those teachers are the ones who are so into their research they don't like to help you or get involved with you. I am a psychology major and have found the total opposite experience - almost all the psych profs are willing to extend that extra hand and give you all the encouragement, guidance and support you need. I feel i am qualified to give you these two views because I was a bio major and switched bc of this very reason. As for the student body at Case, I don't know what ethnicity you are, but I am white and I am a minority here. The school is dominated by the Chinese, Indian, and middle eastern population. It is a proven statistic that "foreigners" ( I hate to use that word, please forgive me) are not as spoiled as us Americans are, and therefore are more disciplined when it comes to studying. As a result, a lot of these foreign students are in the sciences, engineering, medicine, etc. and are at the top of the class. THis makes Case have a competitive atmosphere too, almost too stressing to deal with at times. No offense against these people, they are very intelligent, but they are always the ones that break the curve, haha. Don't get me wrong, wherever you go there will be people of all ethnicities, but Case has such a strong foreign student body, not to mention a whole bunch of the science profs are also foreign, so it is hard to understand them because of their accent. Does this clear things up? Hopefully...um, let's see good things about Case...hmmmm.....still thinkin.....

Kylie,

As an undergrad., I plan to major in Anthropology while completing all pre-med requirements. I will have to work a great deal with the science profs. How is Case Western's anthropology department? I've read a little about it, but probably not enough.

I appreciate your input on the competitiveness. I am also white, but have several Indian-American friends whose whole lives revolve around school. I am not like that though, I enjoy getting out of the classroom every once in a while, doing volunteer work and being around my friends. How is the atmosphere at CWRU? Do students get out and have fun periodically?

Maybe I'm selfish...I want to keep my academic focus and experience college life (the fun part) at the same time. Is this doable? I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Punchap

You're in luck, my good friend is an anthro major at Case so I know a lot about it. SHe said that the department is great, the teachers are all so nice and they have gone the extra mile to help her when she needed it, except for two teachers haha. But overall, she was a pre med also and it seemed to work out just fine for her. Now the atmosphere kinda comes with the territory. I would definitely have to say that the majority of people there don't believe in partying or having their fun time. THey are constantly studying and doing homework. This is one reason why I chose to commute. Now, there are groups, which are mostly frats and sororities that party all the time, but it's lame. They drink one night and think they're cool. Oh, and you are totally not selfish for wanting fun time and relaxation, you need it when you're pre med, anyone will tell you that. It's good to take a night or two off during the week. I think if you are looking for some R and R, OSU will be great. Honestly, nothing goes on at Case as far as fun events or parties. Everyone's got their nose in the book memorizing calculus. I hate to say it, but it's basically a "nerd" school. No offense to these people. I have so much more relaxation at home, even though it's a 35 minute commute. And don't get me wrong, I have friends and very good ones that I've met there, I just got home from going out to dinner with them. So it is possible, but it's harder at Case to have fun when everyone around you doesn't want to.

Kylie, how can you possibly say that?!

There are very cool people at Case, especially me and you. I should beat you with a stick, but I like you too much :laugh: Although admittedly your Case experience has been worse than most :(

Punchap. it's up to you to have fun wherever you go I think. In some places it might be more accessible (kegger parties every weekend, etc.) and students at Case do work hard, but it does give a result in the end, and is generally recognized as a good school (and I think Kylie would agree with that, at least somewhat). But people can still have fun, depends on what they want to do. Like I said before, campus is culturally rich, but not much happening stuff around.

And Kylie, I can't make it to Ben Folds!!! :mad: I'm working that night. I am so mad! Make sure you all don't have too much fun without me...

Kylie and Louweezel,

Ya'll are friends, eh? That's pretty neat...I've enjoyed listening to both of your inputs and experiences. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Punchap

HA!!!

Louweezel, Kylie loves you! Punchap, we are very good friends here at Case, and Louweezel is awesome! I envy her so much, she got into all these awesome schools, but my god did she work her butt off for it. She is right though, the campus here is culturally rich, and you can benefit much from it. I myself as she said have had a horrible experience with Case...there was just so many circumstances that got in my way, too long to explain.:mad: But we need more cool people like Louweezel at CAse, then it'd be a great partyin place to be! Just a note!:clap:

Louweezel...so sorry you can't come to concert! we'll do something else to have fun instead!!!