Any Cardio Qs on Step1 where you need to listen to a murmur?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

22yis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Learning the heart sounds is a huge bitch, and I imagine it being distraction to have step1 takers have to listen to heart sound clips in a room of other people. Wondering if these heart sound audio clips are on the actual board exam or is it something i can skip and maintain some sanity.

Members don't see this ad.

The murmurs on step 1, 2 and 3 are also going to have other context clues that will allow you to answer the questions even without the audio (or at least rule out a handful of answer options)

There is an interface on Step 1 where you listen to heart murmurs. You can use the bell or the diaphragm to listen to the APTM points and left sternal border/Erb's point (and I think some other points too - maybe the carotid pulses). The interface looks very much like the one from blaufuss.org - which is an excellent website for learning the heart sounds. The question stem will usually have a hint of what the heart sound may be due to, i.e. you can use the auscultation findings to reinforce your diagnosis, but you should be comfortable with diagnosing just from auscultation.

also, all the heart sounds on my step 1 were really high quality audio, very crisp sound.