Any Canadians doing combined residencies in the U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buendia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there any Canadians doing combined residencies in the US on J1 visas. As far as I understand it, Canada will not provide a Statement of Need for non-AGME accredited programs. I know Med-Peds is now accredited but I am interested in a different combined program. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to contact the Royal College of Physicians. There are problems for people who want to go back, as the length of training does not meet the minimums for either specialty.

I think you need to contact the Royal College of Physicians. There are problems for people who want to go back, as the length of training does not meet the minimums for either specialty.

So, if you train in Med-Peds, you can't theoretically practice in Canada? I thought Med-Peds is ACGME accredited, and just like Internal Med or Pediatrics, where you can practice in Canada; so why is Med-Peds not accepted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In Quebec, Medicine is 5 years (even for General Internal Med) and Peds is also 5 years. The Royal College does not recognize programs that train for fewer than 5 years, i.e. Med-Peds breaks down to being only 2 years in each. However, if you did, for example, 3 years in IM or Peds in the US and then did a 2 year fellowship that is fine by the Royal College. I also believe that if you only did 3 years in IM/Peds and then practiced as an attending for a specified number of years, that is also recognized by the Royal College. What is not clear is how this would apply to Med-Peds.

I have only one personal experience with this; a Canadian grad 1997-2001. Received credit for adult ID fellowship toward her Canadian requirements. She's not eligible to be boarded or work as a Pediatrician in Canada. My impression is that this loophole had been tightened up, but I may be wrong.

Let the buyer beware