Other OT-Related Information Any advice to score 4.5+ AWA GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT2BE2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am seeking out any helpful tips from those that scored a 4.5+ for the writing section of the GRE. I have already used reddit GRE to garner some advice, but would like some advice from those who want to enter the same profession as me. This will be my 4th time taking the GRE. I have gotten a 4 on the writing portion all 3 times. I really need/want a 4.5+ in writing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I read the sample essays in my study materials and they gave me an idea of what they were looking for. Also clear statement of your position, defend your argument, consider the other side, reiterate your point. The second essay was more difficult for me but I still made a 4.5 on the writing.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally received a 5 AW both times I took the GRE. Stating a clear position and writing AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE helps so much. I also tried to integrate examples from my own life that would support my position or the position I was given and I think that helped a lot as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored a 5. I only took it once. I didn't really study, but I did glance over sample essays and suggestions for length to receive x score. So I guess my main focus was length. I bs'ed arguments really quickly and just tried to make it as long as possible. It worked.

I received a 5 and I agree with a person above that adding in personal examples from your life helps a lot! It gives you more to talk about and if they're even remotely relatable to the scorer then it validates the points you're making. I also read a lot of strategy and example essays in study materials and online, too!

Having a solid argument/thesis is key to a high score. They want to see a clear point of view with examples that clearly support your claim. This is particularly true for the Issue task. Often you will be given a prompt like this:

Claim: In any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should step down after five years.

Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

You'll notice it's a pretty wide open prompt. This is both to your advantage and your challenge, as you'll have so much to choose from but little time to narrow it down. Pick your side quickly and start generating some examples that evidence your claim. My advice is to do a quick 2 min. brainstorm (you don't have much time for this after all). Something like:

Side: Disagree
Support:
- Not standard practice for many fields
- Cost of hiring & training new people is prohibitive
- Loss of skill, experience
- Loss of specialized skill sets that may be difficult to replace (e.g., niche surgeons)
- Too broad to apply to all fields

Generally, when you're in doubt, your best bet is to either agree or disagree and then support your claim. This is your simplest path to meeting their criteria and a higher score. BUT. You can get bonus points by being a little more complex:

Side: Time limits may be well-suited to some fields and professions, but not others.
Support:
- Time limits in some fields that keep the field revitalized, promote a balance of power, & ensure opportunities for younger generations (e.g., politics).
- In others, they would lead to loss of important skills that would be detrimental to society (e.g.., healthcare).

I'd go this route only if you've practiced and are feeling confident. It definitely makes organization more difficult.

In any case, addressing and arguing against a counterpoint will always land you a better score. Let's say I'm disagreeing with the above topic. I could write something like:

"Some argue that time limits ensure the revitalization of an enterprise. But for many businesses, the cost of training new employees to fit highly skilled roles in upper management is prohibitive. The damage done to the bottom line can prevent a business from expanding and thus stagnating - the opposite of vitality."

Following this format, I landed a 5.5 in my last GRE and have never scored below 5.0 (that 6.0 is elusive!). Highly recommend just sitting down and practicing. The more you practice, the easier this will come, and the more time you'll have to write a lengthy essay (which is also key). Here is a list of common GRE prompts.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Having a solid argument/thesis is key to a high score. They want to see a clear point of view with examples that clearly support your claim. This is particularly true for the Issue task. Often you will be given a prompt like this:

Claim: In any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should step down after five years.

Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

You'll notice it's a pretty wide open prompt. This is both to your advantage and your challenge, as you'll have so much to choose from but little time to narrow it down. Pick your side quickly and start generating some examples that evidence your claim. My advice is to do a quick 2 min. brainstorm (you don't have much time for this after all). Something like:

Side: Disagree
Support:
- Not standard practice for many fields
- Cost of hiring & training new people is prohibitive
- Loss of skill, experience
- Loss of specialized skill sets that may be difficult to replace (e.g., niche surgeons)
- Too broad to apply to all fields

Generally, when you're in doubt, your best bet is to either agree or disagree and then support your claim. This is your simplest path to meeting their criteria and a higher score. BUT. You can get bonus points by being a little more complex:

Side: Time limits may be well-suited to some fields and professions, but not others.
Support:
- Time limits in some fields that keep the field revitalized, promote a balance of power, & ensure opportunities for younger generations (e.g., politics).
- In others, they would lead to loss of important skills that would be detrimental to society (e.g.., healthcare).

I'd go this route only if you've practiced and are feeling confident. It definitely makes organization more difficult.

In any case, addressing and arguing against a counterpoint will always land you a better score. Let's say I'm disagreeing with the above topic. I could write something like:

"Some argue that time limits ensure the revitalization of an enterprise. But for many businesses, the cost of training new employees to fit highly skilled roles in upper management is prohibitive. The damage done to the bottom line can prevent a business from expanding and thus stagnating - the opposite of vitality."

Following this format, I landed a 5.5 in my last GRE and have never scored below 5.0 (that 6.0 is elusive!). Highly recommend just sitting down and practicing. The more you practice, the easier this will come, and the more time you'll have to write a lengthy essay (which is also key). Here is a list of common GRE prompts.

Good luck!!

Thank you all for your advice. Thank you especially to @atroposlachesis for your super detailed advice! This is exactly what I was looking for! I really appreciate your time in writing this advice! :)

Reactions: 1 users