ANY advice??? Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

simseema17

Hi,
Here are my stats (GPA 3.02, sci gpa 2.8)...didn't take the MCAT because I took the DAT and currently waiting to hear from dental schools. Do I have a chance of getting in a foreign med school? I have a good amount of volunteering/work in hospitals and/or clinics. My parents are physicians (I don't know if that helps). My overall and SCI gpa should go up after this semester...any thoughts??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (where to apply, etc).
Thanks.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Hello:
First I feel like raising two red flags, based on my considerable exposure to the FMG scene:
1) Do you really want to be a Doctor? Please do not be pushed into it to obey your parent's wishes..
2) Dentist and MD are two completely different things.. Do you really wish to be a Doctor? Possibly a Family Doctor?
If you answered YES to both,
then my answer to your question is YES,
there will be a few Caribbean schools that would take you.
SGU is best, but you MUST make over MCAT 27 to compensate for your borderline GPA.
AUC and SABA are your next options.
Good luck.. ask anything else you wish..
Andre

What a load of B.S. SGU doesn't require over a 27...you're so full of it. I know several students admitted with 3.4's and 24 MCAT. You need to find out on your own, and not listen to this guy's useless advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. You need to contact the school and see what really flies. I can tell you this. The averages for SGU are 3.4 OGPA 3.3 SGPA and a 26 MCAT. Granted, these are averages and they DO accept people with lower merits! Keep the faith! By the way hey sherminator, I'm from the STL, too!! Are you a student anywhere around the area? SLU? Wash U? Let me know. I live in the area.

Peace

NUT

Logan Chiropractic...it suuuucks!!!

Logan?!!!!! WOW! Dude, I had no idea. You don't like Chiropractic school? What's wrong with it? Are you contemplating going to med school?

WRT SGU:

There are means (GPA 3.4 MCATS 27) but sgu has no formal cut off. With an eye to accpeting people they feel demonstrate an ability pass the boards, they look at the whole individual (ie trends, experience, letters of rec, interview, the whole banana).

Apply. they can reject, offer full acceptance, reccomend you take mcats again or additional classes, or accept you to a decel (slower) program.
Stephanie
SGUSOM '99

Good point brought up about being sure you wanted to be a physician vs dentist.

You should apply to Americal medical schools, both allopathic and osteopathic, you might have a shot; applications are at an all time low. Then consider the foreign schools afterwards. TI will definately help that your parents are physcians. There is an unspoken fraternity among physcians and admissions committees will realize that you have a first hand account as to hte life of a doctor.

Good luck