Any advice on wrongful termination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMU19_98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this was the wrong forum to post this question, I just don’t know of another network for Podiatrists that is easily accessible.

Is there anyone who has any experience in wrongful termination suits? Or maybe just some advice in general if it is worth pursuing.

Members don't see this ad.

Wrongful termination may differ in the various states. To be sure federal law prohibits termination based on gender, ethnicity, color, etc. state law may add to that list. It is best to consult the Department of Labor (or equilivant) in your state and seek their advise. You may also consider consulting an attorney who specializes in labor issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably just need to lawyer up. Be careful about posting any specific details online that could potentially be used against you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even some good attorneys will give free initial consultations, but some don't and will charge handsomely even for that. Never hurts to make a couple phone calls. Odds are that it will not be worth pursuing, but you will never know for sure if you don't call.

I recently used a lawyer for some stuff. Specialized in my states labor laws. Billed out at 275 an hour for her, I think paralegal was 80 or so. Bill came to maybe 1200 or so. Was worth it. We did basically do a consultation prior to signing a contract.

Tldr get a lawyer to know what your options are.

You can just find an attorney in your area who does employment/labor law (employee side) or you could use one who does medical. If it's a rural area, basically every attorney will be a generalist ("door lawyer")... but still consult with the best you can find. $250-400 per hour is normal depending on locale.

It will basically come down to your contract (are owed compensation or vaca days or benefits, etc... are not owed subjective pain/suffering/etc). An attorney will be a solid guide as to if the state/area is more pro-employee or pro-employer, if they see valid damage$, etc.

GL... every situation is different, but it's generally not worth pursuing for multiple reasons...
Namely, moving on mentally to a more positive place, focusing energy on new job search and beginning strong, and simply that you have nothing but time if unemployed and can rapidly do most quantifiable stuff in small claims court incrementally yourself and save a lot on attorney/court costs (last paycheck unpaid, didn't get X weeks severance pay per contract, didn't get full 401 match, didn't get other minor benefits, etc). There is also the not insignificant fact that your employer likely has much deeper pockets in terms of time and attorney fees to drag things out than you do in any prolonged negotiation or hearings. You know your situation best, but sometimes you just learn the lesson and move on... but take any small claims slam dunks which may exist in the contract which they are clearly violating (they'll generally settle any after the first one since it begins to hurt their biz credit for judgments against them).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's better to find a wrongful termination lawyer on the internet in your area, but if you are looking a wrongful termination lawyer in California, I will suggest you Cummings & Franck, P.C. experienced law attorney to help you with legal advice.

$250-400 per hour is normal depending on locale.
Billed out at 275 an hour for her, I think paralegal was 80 or so.
There is a 4.5% sequestration on attorney fees next year. Might be able to save a few bucks if you wait a week unless Congress does something soon.

Only in medicine....