Any advice on the upcoming match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poesie Noire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an img who's very much interested in rads. unfortunately because of my mediocre step 1 score, i feel ill get maybe one or two interviews...if at all any... in this upcoming match. which brings me to the issue of a decent alternative so that i could hopefully be more competitive for rads in the following year or after. regarding an alternative choice that could help me for rads, what do you all think? IM or Surgery? there are those who say that i should apply to as many rads programs possible as well as prelim spots in med/surg or ty..and hope for the best. if i follow this path and dont get any rads interviews, my first question is regarding the pgy1 spot. ive read that in the match process if you dont match for pgy2, then your supplemental rank order list is not used. so, if i apply for rads and not match, then does it mean i have to search for a pgy 1 spot through the scramble? As of now, i was thinking of applying to rads programs, pgy1 positions (prelim med or surg), as well as some categorical IM programs. assuming i get any rads interviews i would rank them above any IM offers. do you all think this is a logical strategy?

Sorry for the lengthy post but i would be more than grateful for any feedback from not only rads residents but anyone with experience in the match process. if its not too much to ask, i was wondering what the contingency plans were for those who recently matched into rads. what other programs did you all apply for assuming if you had not gotten rads? also..at this point, what more can i do to make myself more competitive other than to improve on step 2? ive been trying endlessly to obtain some rads electives in greenbook locations in the chicago area but all of them refuse to take img students for rads electives. if anyone has any more advice on this...please...throw as much as you can in this direction! thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

oh boy. as an fmg with an average board score (i am guessing less than 220), i will be honest in telling you that you are going to have a difficult time in getting interviews. this is not to just discourage you, but to let you know what to expect. you have to apply broadly, and to a variety of programs that you might hear actually prefer fmgs with experience in radiology. i am from the metro detroit area, and although i did not apply, i hear that st. joes in pontiac, mi prefers fmgs that have completed rads residencies elsewhere. but be aware- i heard it was because they expect them to be ready to work from day 1. as far as backing up goes, you are correct in that they will not go to the supplemental list unless you match. but what you can do is to place a few transitional/prelim positions at the end of your list as well in case you do not get any categorical positions. you can put programs in even if you put them in your supplemental list. good luck.

thanks for the insight michrad,
well, like i said...with my low step 1 score, getting even one interview will surprise me. im basically going into the match hoping for the best yet expect nothing. thats why im trying to focus from now on a constructve pathway to make myself competitive enough perhaps a year or two from now. bottom line...i love rads and i want it more than anything. ill wait as long as i feasibly can, and if i get it...ill take it wherever i can get it. lol...hopefully i can get it before finishing another residency! regarding electives, do you know of any residency programs that offer electives for visiting students?

Members don't see this ad :)
PN:

You should look at some of Dr Cuts' previous posts. If memory serves me right, I think he had around a 240, and attended a Carribean school - applied to >100 programs and landed 5 interviews. Fortunately, he matched (to the benefit of the program)! - These #'s could be wrong, however.

So, there is hope.

Regardless, look up his previous posts - he also posts on auntminnie.com, too.

Best of luck.

Airborne

Thanks for the kind words Airborne... I owe many thanks to the members of these forums and the AuntMinnie forums... I couldn't have done it without y'all's sage advice and guidance.

To recap my tumultuous course:
  • started at a European school
  • transferred to a Caribbean school (i.e. hoch poched transcript)
  • Step 1 - 244, power LoRs, PS read like prose (or so I think ;))
  • Step 2 - 241, but came in pretty late (mid Dec.) so don't know if it made a diff either way
  • Applied to - 140
  • Interviews - 6
  • Result - Matched at my #4 (and I'm still thanking my lucky stars)
    [/list=a]

***** Noire and I go way back actually. He and I have spoke extensively about our shared dreams of being Rad docs. You probably already know this my man, but I still think the most effective thing you can do now to bolster your appy is go balls to the wall for Step 2, take it in July to have your scores ready to go for Opening Day, and rock that bad boy--260+. You gotta stop going to lounges with Henzo and hit the books instead. And stop playing 20 games/day of Yahoo chess in an attempt to improve your skills enough to ever beat me--I will mate you everytime my friend ;).

That said, IMHO you're doing everything else right. Keep it up--I'm rottin for ya!

:cool:

hi PN
I was just goin to say that u have to check the previous posts by Dr Cuts.but .Airborne beat me to it..and then u have the next post by the great man himself..just listen to him....U GOT TO SMASH STEP 2.......keep plugging away!!!..rest of the stuff comes later..match et all..first things first..
regards

thanks again guys. well, rock step 2 with 260+ and take it by july? shiznit man. phenomenally easier said than done. i cant imagine how few of even american med students hit 260 + on step 1, much less on step 2. cuts, you told me yourself that step 2 is easier to pass than step 1 but harder to do well. on that note, im not enthusiastic but willing and detemined bro. thanks. by the way, im NOT hittin chess as quantitatively as you say. either way, next time you 're free...give me a ring...ill enjoy annhilating you. just like i used to when we hit those kickboxing classes back in the day in aranyos magyarorszag. sorry bro but i had to reveal to to others why you're REALLY called cuts! lol. thanks again guys. back to step 2. oh..and cuts...its POESIE noire. not ***** ok? lolol.