Any advice for a beginner?(pre-med)

MaryZi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Im a senior ..graduating in 3 days and I plan to go into pre-med to become a neo-natal pedeatrition. I dont have extracurricular activities as of now and I dont have the best GPA though its not horrible... I have a 3.2. I do plan on doing better and I can I was just lazy my freshman year in highschool. Anyway I was wondering what I can do to give me a better chance when the time comes to apply to medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the good thing is med schools don't look at anything u did in high school so u get to start with a clean slate. Imo, this summer you should relax.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1- Do well in ALL courses i.e. aim for As and get As.
2- Familiarize yourself with basic medical terminologies and human anatomy/physiology.
3- Do some research work during summer. MD schools would love it.
4-Volunteer for healthcare/patientcare related jobs.
5-Do some physician(MS/DO) shadowing. Shadow physicians from different specialties like cardiology, ER, neurology, IM, etc.
6-Do excellent on your MCAT(30+).
7-Take it easy and don't burn yourself out doing things I mentioned above.

Good luck! :)

P.S. Ask a lot of questions. Learn everything you can.

well its a relief to know highschool doesnt matter to much. I am going to try to get some shadowing or volenteer work done this summer. thank you for the help!

well its a relief to know highschool doesnt matter to much. I am going to try to get some shadowing or volenteer work done this summer. thank you for the help!

Good luck! I hope you let us know how you do along the way :)

Stephy :luck:

No need to spend time learning anatomy physiology at all OUTSIDE of your MCAT studying, though.

A lot of this has already been said, but yeah, what you did in high school only matters to get into undergrad. It's what you do in undergrad that counts.

For that, you can find a lot of info on the pre-allo forums. But for starters, research, volunteering, extracurrics that are related to your non-med interests, good GPA, good MCAT, shadowing, clinical experience, good LOCs.... Basically get as involved as you can. Find out at orientation what clubs are on campus. Join them and work up to leadership positions. Start getting to know your profs so that you'll feel comfortable later asking them for LOCs or about undergrad research positions. Take classes in something you've always wanted to try--violin, sculpting, dance, piano.... As an upperclassman, become a TA. Join your uni's tutoring association, first as a student and later as a tutor.

You've got four years plus summers! :) It'll be fine.

Also don't tell people your pre-med its not a major and the majority of people in Bio 101 who say they are pre-med do not actually make it to medical school.

Have interest outside of medicine and pick a major that interests you and can lead to other careers in case you ever change your mind.

As others have said the best thing you can do now for a career in medicine or any thing else is to not mess up your gpa. So aim high academically while you explore what medicine and college. Good luck

I know pre-med is not a major..Im planing to double major in biology and animation. Also Im very confident I will make it to med. school because its something I really want and plan to work hard for it. I have a intrest in Japanese culture so I plan to go into the abroad program my junior year and also im joining two of my schools Japanese related clubs and a pre-med student club, and I just found a volunteer program near me that includes helping with terminally ill paitiants that im looking forward too! I was just worried about my highschool grades and involvement. Thanks guys!