Any 3rd years not have any LOR yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
besides me. Just wondering.

not that I havent asked, and the two people I did ask(non-radiologists) havent said no exactly. they just havent "gotten around to it" and my feeling is them may never.

maybe I should stop crying myself to sleep, but I have the networking skills of a half dead tree.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to do it over again, I would have probably asked more people for letters of recommendation. The people that I did ask wrote some strong letters for the most part. The best letters that I had written were from attendings that when I asked them to write the letter said that they would love to and that I was a great student. It took them awhile to get the letters in, but when they did it was worth the wait because they were very strong letters. I did as one attending to write me a letter that I had worked with one on one with for four weeks and thought that the letter would be strong, but turned out it wasnt. So in my opinion the more people you ask the better because it is hard to tell who will end up thinking you are great and will write that stellar letter for you.
I mean lets face it, if your applying for radiology you probably have great step scores and great grades, therefore you should try just as hard to get great letters of recommendation. I had some stellar and some mediocre letters of recommendation. I have great step scores and great grades but I didnt go gung ho for the letters like I should have. Its kind of crazy but when the interviewers sit down, they look at your grades quickly but then they probably pour over the recommendation letters and you personal statement. Sad but true, a letter may have as much weight as scores and grades. Unless of course your grades and step scores are horrible then probably even a well written letter is worth much. But my point is to all who read this is try to get a good letter if possible, it is worth your personal energy to track these down.

one thing i've learned is that as important as it is to be "smart," and know things, it's almost equally (if not more) important "who you know." for every idiot or incompetent fool you've come across in a decent position, and you've asked yourself how the hell they got where they are today, you must remember that they must have known someone, some big shot, who vouched for them. unless you are fortunate enough to be positively selected for by unwritten "equal opportunity," then it's important for you to develop the political prowress to go after what you want. ladies and gentlemen, as we prepare to enter the real world, we must realize that we are entering into a game. you either know how to play or will be left behind.

as i talk to more and more people who have been through the process, it tends to boil down to who you know. many friends have said the breaking point (either in favor or against) their selection into a program rested on a single letter than someone on the committee had read, and had known the person (author of the letter) and called to ask about the applicant. a simple conversation on the phone, and the person had a ticket to a top program. perhaps if it had been a different letter, a name no one had recognized, things would have different.

i don't think you should sweat about not having letters quite yet. but i would strongly recommend lining up your possibilities. drop a line here or there to the people you think could help you out; just to kindly give them a heads up. once most grades are in (around may/june/july), i would start meeting with them, with copies of your transcript, personal statement (maybe), to remind them of who you are and that they promised you a letter. that's what i plan on doing. anyone else have other suggestions? how do people end up finding out which letters were "Strong" or not so strong?