Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
506 MCAT accepted to 2 MD schools out of the 5 I applied too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Took the MCAT twice, first time I received a 25 and the second time a 27. I sent out applications in June/July and received 6 II's. I was accepted into 3 MD programs, wait listed at 2 and rejected the sixth interview. Despite the low MCAT score, I had a 3.8 GPA, 4 years of research experience with 5 publications and two summer research internships, three years of volunteer work, and come from a financially URM background.

If you have a low MCAT, it is definitely possible to get interviews from great schools if you have a compelling story and show dedication. They want solid experiences and people who genuinely care about helping others. I think the interview made the difference for me, and don't let anyone tell you that your MCAT is too low!

@LunaBoona mind sharing what schools?
Absolutely!
II: George Washington, Wright State University, West Virginia University, Virginia Commonwealth, Penn State College of Med, and UMass.
Accepted: George Washington, Wright State University, and Virginia Commonwealth
Wait Listed: West Virginia University and UMass
Did not attend the interview at Penn State because after having other acceptances I thought about it and decided I wouldn't be happy living in the middle of nowhere lol

Good Luck Everyone!

I have been away from this thread for a minute! Congratulations to all who've been accepted! I am so proud of you.

For those who are still waiting, or feeling frustrated: your MCAT score is not everything, but for some schools it can be a red flag. It does not mean that you will not do well in medical school, but sometimes there may be other aspects of your application that may have had red flags as well. There is no perfect formula, in terms of getting into medical school. So one person with a 26 may have a completely different outcome from a person with the same score. The MCAT is just a snap shot, but there are so many other components that may your full picture come together.

Rooting for you all!

Waited till the end of the cycle to post this..
This thread has been my motivation and gave me hope when applying with my low MCAT

So in summary:

I applied to many MD schools and a few DO
MCAT: 27 GPA: 4.0

2 DO II, 2 DO acceptances
1MD II, 1MD acceptance.

Bottom line, don't let your MCAT discourage you from applying! It IS possible.

Reactions: 7 users
Waited till the end of the cycle to post this..
This thread has been my motivation and gave me hope when applying with my low MCAT

So in summary:

I applied to many MD schools and a few DO
MCAT: 27 GPA: 4.0

2 DO II, 2 DO acceptances
1MD II, 1MD acceptance.

Bottom line, don't let your MCAT discourage you from applying! It IS possible.

Mind sharing what schools? And dang, very nice gpa!

Hey everyone. I got my MCAT score back yesterday and got a 504. Was expecting higher so am still pretty disappointed. I read from you guys how important applying early is so I applied last night. Already had my application ready so just had to decide which schools. Have a c3.5 and s3.6 GPA. I'm a student-athlete and have some interesting ECs and what I think to be a unique story. I applied to 60 MD schools because I was so freaked out and want to get accepted this cycle. I'm a Florida resident by the way. What are my chances? :( Please help me out I'm worried

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I got my MCAT score back yesterday and got a 504. Was expecting higher so am still pretty disappointed. I read from you guys how important applying early is so I applied last night. Already had my application ready so just had to decide which schools. Have a c3.5 and s3.6 GPA. I'm a student-athlete and have some interesting ECs and what I think to be a unique story. I applied to 60 MD schools because I was so freaked out and want to get accepted this cycle. I'm a Florida resident by the way. What are my chances? :( Please help me out I'm worried

That's a lot of schools. How did you determine your school list, and have you began to pre-write secondaries?

That's a lot of schools. How did you determine your school list, and have you began to pre-write secondaries?

Yeah, I know that it is… But luckily, financially I was able to so I figured I would apply to a lot and hope for some good luck. I determined my school list by applying to all my in state schools and then schools that have ~30 old MCAT average acceptance plus some that are lower. And no I have not begun to pre-write secondaries. How do you go about doing that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know that it is… But luckily, financially I was able to so I figured I would apply to a lot and hope for some good luck. I determined my school list by applying to all my in state schools and then schools that have ~30 old MCAT average acceptance plus some that are lower. And no I have not begun to pre-write secondaries. How do you go about doing that?

For prewriting, you can visit the school specific threads from last year's cycle. Generally, the first post will have the secondary questions.

im just curious but how did u determine 60 schools even with the average mcat and gpa? Thats a ton! Try not to drain out filling secondaries cause they are exhausting. Focus on the schools you want to go to for pre-writing.

im just curious but how did u determine 60 schools even with the average mcat and gpa? Thats a ton! Try not to drain out filling secondaries cause they are exhausting. Focus on the schools you want to go to for pre-writing.

I mainly applied to that many schools because I want to get in the first time applying and not have to apply again. And yeah it might be rough doing the secondaries but if I get a few acceptances, it will be worth it

I totally understand that you want to get in but that's a crazy number of schools! If I were you, I'd create a separate thread in the WAMC forum and solicit some advice from adcoms on here about how to be strategic with your secondaries. It's definitely possible to get in with a less than ideal MCAT score but, applying to that many schools, you're really running the risk of throwing away a lot of money and time on secondaries for schools that aren't a good fit for you. Writing each one of those secondaries is going to take time and the last thing you want is to sacrifice quality for quantity. Also, think of the secondary fees and interview costs! If you can afford it, fine, but I still don't recommend throwing that money away. You'll need it come med school!

I've been in your shoes with a less than ideal score--best of luck!

I mainly applied to that many schools because I want to get in the first time applying and not have to apply again. And yeah it might be rough doing the secondaries but if I get a few acceptances, it will be worth it

Please don't be discouraged by everyone speaking on here about "wasting money" or "sacrificing quality for quantity". It is not their money to spend and most secondaries are similar in their questions anyway. If anything, I think you should prioritize the schools and then work through the secondaries that way. Good luck this cycle!

Please don't be discouraged by everyone speaking on here about "wasting money" or "sacrificing quality for quantity". It is not their money to spend and most secondaries are similar in their questions anyway. If anything, I think you should prioritize the schools and then work through the secondaries that way. Good luck this cycle!
Chill. I wasn't trying to discourage OP, just being realistic and cautioning them about some of the potential pitfalls of applying to that many schools. In fact, what you're saying is exactly what I suggested: being strategic about which secondaries they prioritize. Many schools don't prescreen for secondaries so it's likely that OP will spend time writing essays for schools that they will quickly be screened out from. That's just part of the process, even for the highest stats applicants. Applying to 60 schools greatly increases the extent to which that will happen so it's good to be strategic. Work on the secondaries for schools that OP has the best shot at first and avoid secondary fatigue as much as possible.

Of course, it's OP's money but for other folks who might find themselves in a similar situation, I think it's fair to say that it is just not necessary to apply to 60 schools to get an acceptance.

Anyone in this thread that got a 504 get a 122 or lower in CARS, with interviews/acceptances?

Just a couple tips so you don't end up wasting time and money on secondaries for schools that certainly (or almost certainly) will not accept you:
-Make sure none of those 60 schools are schools not in Florida that only accept in state students. There are some schools like this, and I think they'll still take your money for secondaries, and then they'll reject you. Don't give them a donation.
-If you are not African-American and/or you have not worked extensively with African-American populations, make sure none of those 60 schools are historically black colleges. Historically black colleges generally don't take students who aren't either African-American themselves or people who have worked very extensively with African-American populations.

It has been 2 weeks since I was accepted off the WL and I still can hardly believe it.
Definitely agree w/ my peers saying your MCAT score is not everything.
Even if your MCAT is not what you wish,
work your booty off on the rest of your app,
then work your booty off on nailing those couple of interviews,
then don't get discouraged about being WL.

Good luck!

What school? And what mcat did you have?

It has been 2 weeks since I was accepted off the WL and I still can hardly believe it.
Definitely agree w/ my peers saying your MCAT score is not everything.
Even if your MCAT is not what you wish,
work your booty off on the rest of your app,
then work your booty off on nailing those couple of interviews,
then don't get discouraged about being WL.

Good luck!

has anyone had any luck with a 504/28 last cycle??

i got a 504 (127/124/125/128)-semi-balanced and I already sent in my primary to one school in july for verification so it should be verified by the end of this week and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the application cycle with a score similar to mine (I'm a CA resident)

i have a 3.64 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 900 hours of research experience, 1st author abstract accepted for presentation at a national conference, 1st author publication under review (will hear back from editors this week), great ECs, solid PS

thanks so much for your feedback! i really appreciate it :)

i got a 504 (127/124/125/128)-semi-balanced and I already sent in my primary to one school in july for verification so it should be verified by the end of this week and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the application cycle with a score similar to mine (I'm a CA resident)

i have a 3.64 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 900 hours of research experience, 1st author abstract accepted for presentation at a national conference, 1st author publication under review (will hear back from editors this week), great ECs, solid PS

I've recieved some lovin this cycle with a score in the 502-507 range

Reactions: 2 users
Wow congrats!! Do you have any recommendations for which schools to apply to?

Thanks! I applied to schools that were within +\-3 points of my MCAT (on old 3-45 scale) on average and added about 6 "reaches" were 4+ points above my MCAT (Because im a fan of taking a shot every now and then). But make sure you apply to schools that would deem you "mission fit" and your state schools.

Edit: Just saw the CA hahaha

I'd hit the UCs as reaches, the AZ schools, and schools like Drexel, Rosy Franklin, Indiana etc

And if you're interested in DO but want to be close to Cali

RVU, Western U CA, Both Touros, Both AZ schools

Last edited:
Thanks! I applied to schools that were within +\-3 points of my MCAT (on old 3-45 scale) on average and added about 6 "reaches" were 4+ points above my MCAT (Because im a fan of taking a shot every now and then). But make sure you apply to schools that would deem you "mission fit" and your state schools. It's hard to tell you specifics without knowing the state you're from (due to some regional biases).

Edit: Just saw the CA hahaha

I'd hit the UCs as reaches, the AZ schools, and schools like Drexel, Rosy Franklin, Indiana etc

And if you're interested in DO but want to be close to Cali

RVU, Western U CA, Both Touros, Both AZ schools

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it!! I'm hoping my research experience will attract the UCs :)

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it!! I'm hoping my research experience will attract the UCs :)

No problem bud, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Just wanted to show that there is hope for us <30 peeps hahaha. Hopefully one of them picks you up!

i got a 504 on the mcat, it wasn't balanced. 130/123/124/127

Should I apply this cycle? My app has already been sent to Brody to ecu but hasn't been verified yet. I have a cGPA 3.5 and 800 hrs between scribing and volunteering at a free clinic. No unique story, I just graduated with my chemistry degree this past spring.

Got into my state school with similar MCAT and a 3.78 GPA

506 mcat with 3 MD II so far :D

Reactions: 1 users
2 MD II and 1 DO II so far. LizzyM ~59 :( MCAT 506 126/124/128/128 URM AA w/ 4 pubs, backstory, 3.5 50 credit post bacc

503 (125/127/127/124) two DO invites. State MD programs have not started to send out IIs yet. One MD rejection from WVU

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

506 mcat (Still) with 5 II now :)

( UT rio grande, creighton, fiu, tcmc, tulane)