Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had a 26 MCAT and 3.6 GPA and got interviews

VCU, UVM, UofArizona, RFUMS, not extraordinary, but something

I was complete by the end of August (including some secondaries)
I would apply even earlier if you can, but August is still pretty early. As for the MCAT score, they definately want high ones, but my interviewer told me that if you have between a 25-35, the score does not predict too much about how you will perform in medical school. He said that if you fall below or above, then there is something to look out for. Even though he said that, he still asked why mine was so low. My suggestion is APPLY EARLY!:)

27R (8VR, 10PS, 9BS)...4 interviews:

Indiana University (my state school, interviewed on 10-4-06)
Rosalind Franklin (received the invite last week -- declining tomorrow so someone else can have this wonderful opportunity)
Penn State (interviewed on 12-22-06)
Medical College of Wisconsin (1-19-07)

Got my first acceptance to my top school today, MCW! Good luck to all. Do NOT sell youself short. The MCAT is only part of the equation...

28 R here

VR 11, PS 08, BS 09

Applied to 15 schools, withdrew from 6 before interviews

9 interviews invites DO and MD combined, withdrew from three more pre-interview

6 actual interviews,

6 actual acceptances, 2 MD and 4 DO schools.

NOVA
DMU
UMDNJ
LECOM
U of Miami
USF

Hey all, it's good to hear that all you guys are getting acceptances. However, it makes me wonder what the hell went wrong with my applcation. My stats are listed a few posts up, and like I said earlier, I haven't receieved half the love that the majority of the people who have posted under this thread have gotten. Maybe there's a red flag somewhere in my application; however, it's unnoticable to me. :Confused:

28 R with 3.7 Science and 3.8 Non-science GPA.. I applied really late, as late as it could possibly be *which was very stupid* but still managed to get 2 interviews. Creighton was last week and went very well. Drexel is coming up next week. Also have two rejections, sadly both from my state schools :(

I'm keeping my hopes up for few more interviews. 27-29 range is not bad at all, combined with good EC's and lots of motivation, it can land you in a very good MD program.

29Q with a 3.75, 4 interviews, jeff, pitt, drexel and temple. In at Jeff and Temple, waiting anxiously for Pitt:eek:

29Q with a 3.75, 4 interviews, jeff, pitt, drexel and temple. In at Jeff and Temple, waiting anxiously for Pitt:eek:

If you don't mind me asking, when were u complete at temple and when did you get the invite?

blahh i haven't heard anything from RFU or Drexel at all....

Members don't see this ad :)
28 R here

VR 11, PS 08, BS 09

Applied to 15 schools, withdrew from 6 before interviews

9 interviews invites DO and MD combined, withdrew from three more pre-interview

6 actual interviews,

6 actual acceptances, 2 MD and 4 DO schools.

NOVA
DMU
UMDNJ
LECOM
U of Miami
USF

What was your GPA?.. if you dont mind my asking

I've a friend who got 4 invites so far with 26... all MD. One is from top 10.

29P 3.6 and I got interviews at:
OHSU, UVM, SLU

The SLU one came a week ago and I've been complete there since mid august. Don't give up hope out there!

If you don't mind me asking, when were u complete at temple and when did you get the invite?

I was complete in early october, interview invite in december

I've a friend who got 4 invites so far with 26... all MD. One is from top 10.

woww way to go!:thumbup:

Geogil: that certainly helps, b/c I have not heard a single thing from SLU since I was complete except the payment receipt thingie. I almost forgot that I applied there :p

Yes-I have interviewed at Creighton, Drexel, Jefferson. I had my AAMCAS complete in September and my secondaries in my mid Nov... I've been pretty lucky since I applied so late. I'm still waiting to hear.

I took the mcat twice and scored 24 both times. (7,8,9 in Apr 04 and 10,6,8 in Apr 05). So far I've had 2 MD interviews and one acceptance....(To be fair, one was a courtesy interview). I am also not an URM.

I took the mcat twice and scored 24 both times. (7,8,9 in Apr 04 and 10,6,8 in Apr 05). So far I've had 2 MD interviews and one acceptance....(To be fair, one was a courtesy interview). I am also not an URM.

Where'd you get your interviews and your acceptance?

also, could you please tell us when did you apply? most likely very early, correct?

You are correct.....I applied VERY early.

What was your GPA?.. if you dont mind my asking

My GPA was 3.49 according to AMCAS and like 3.63 according to AACOMAS. In the meantime I have been an RN for a while.

28 R with 3.7 Science and 3.8 Non-science GPA.. I applied really late, as late as it could possibly be *which was very stupid* but still managed to get 2 interviews. Creighton was last week and went very well. Drexel is coming up next week. Also have two rejections, sadly both from my state schools :(

I'm keeping my hopes up for few more interviews. 27-29 range is not bad at all, combined with good EC's and lots of motivation, it can land you in a very good MD program.

how late was "late"?

27R (8VR, 10PS, 9BS)...4 interviews:

Indiana University (my state school, interviewed on 10-4-06)
Rosalind Franklin (received the invite last week -- declining tomorrow so someone else can have this wonderful opportunity)
Penn State (interviewed on 12-22-06)
Medical College of Wisconsin (1-19-07)

Got my first acceptance to my top school today, MCW! Good luck to all. Do NOT sell youself short. The MCAT is only part of the equation...

out of curiosity, when were you complete and what were your grades, ec's, etc lke?

29, 4 MD interviews. More than I expected, but I could use an acceptance.

Update: Got the acceptance I've been waiting for to the school I'm heading to in the fall.

29Q
3.40 BCMP
3.52 Overall
4 Interviews (UNC, ECU, ETSU, U Oklahoma) -- All MD
One Acceptance (ETSU)
Don't sweat the under 30 --- As long as its not too far under 30. ;)

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it! It's encouraging to hear from people closer to my own scores and not just the people anxious about their 4.0 GPA, 35+ MCAT scores.

As for myself, I have a 3.75 GPA and 28Q MCAT. My secondaries were complete at the end of October (14 of them). So far, I have completed interviews at the University of Washington SOM (11/2/06) and MCW (2/2/07), and was recently invited to another interview at NYMC (end of March). I haven't heard back from UWSOM (not until April... yuck), but should be hearing back from MCW any day now. Wish me luck!

As for advice? With our numbers, you should try to get your applications in ASAP so as to have the best chance for interviews. (I wish I would have known this earlier.) Also, be really positive at your interviews/in your personal statement about the things you have done (leadership, volunteering, etc) and try to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd. Finally, do your homework about the schools you interview at. Be prepared to ask intimate questions about the schools before you go there.

Best of luck everyone! I'm rooting for the 27-29 MCAT crowd! :luck:

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it! It's encouraging to hear from people closer to my own scores and not just the people anxious about their 4.0 GPA, 35+ MCAT scores.

As for myself, I have a 3.75 GPA and 28Q MCAT. My secondaries were complete at the end of October (14 of them). So far, I have completed interviews at the University of Washington SOM (11/2/06) and MCW (2/2/07), and was recently invited to another interview at NYMC (end of March). I haven't heard back from UWSOM (not until April... yuck), but should be hearing back from MCW any day now. Wish me luck!

As for advice? With our numbers, you should try to get your applications in ASAP so as to have the best chance for interviews. (I wish I would have known this earlier.) Also, be really positive at your interviews/in your personal statement about the things you have done (leaders hip, volunteering, etc) and try to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd. Finally, do your homework about the schools you interview at. Be prepared to ask intimate questions about the schools before you go there.

Best of luck everyone! I'm rooting for the 27-29 MCAT crowd! :luck:

no problem, im glad i started it too, and im happy so many people have benefited from it. but finally after months of waiting, i can finally contribute to this thread....i have my first invite. its definetly doable, i think we just might have to wait a little longer than everyone else. good luck everyone!!!

I think med school really look at the whole application and not just numbers.
My MCAT is 26M, GPA 3.8 (science 3.9) and I was invited for interviews to Michigan State, Wayne State, Penn State, VCU, University of VT, USUHS, Hopkins, and Harvard (I couldn't believe that).

So there is definitely a hope for people with low MCAT. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

I have a 28 MCAT and 3.5< GPA. So far I have been accepted to one school and invited to 9 interviews: UCSD, UCD, UCLA/Drew, Brown, Medical College of Wisconsin, SUNY Upstate, Howard, BU, and Saint Louis. I only went to five interviews. What's my secret? I don't really know. But, if I had any advice I would say apply early, spend a good amount of time on your personal statement, make sure you seek out professors / faculty who will write good letters of rec, and spend time researching the schools you are applying to. Oh, and once you get to the interview be honest. If there is a reason for a low GPA, address it head on and don't make excuses. By the way, none of the schools I interviewed at even commented on my MCAT score.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
no problem, im glad i started it too, and im happy so many people have benefited from it. but finally after months of waiting, i can finally contribute to this thread....i have my first invite. its definetly doable, i think we just might have to wait a little longer than everyone else. good luck everyone!!!

Congratulations! Best wishes for a great interview! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

25Q 3.8 GPA with many extra currics. (leadership positions) + clinical + research

Applied to 25 schools and Interviewed at 6 MD, Rejected from 5 and awaiting from the rest...So far one acceptance! :)

Always have hope and never let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

Nothing is impossible.

I know the first day of June is the earliest to submit applications, but does it make a difference a week or two or three after that?

This might sound like a dumb question but how early is "early"?

I know the first day of June is the earliest to submit applications, but does it make a difference a week or two or three after that?

This might sound like a dumb question but how early is "early"?

Makes no difference. You just need to be within the first "wave" of secondaries.. and that's not until late July/early August. However, it's nice to have your primary done early so you can start working on secondary essays (yes, even before the secondaries come out). There's a thread on this site that contains all the secondary essays from 2006 and usually the schools keep the essay the same.

Very educational, indeed. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll be sure to apply VERY early the next time around. Clearly makes a difference!

Applied late (September) with a 6 in VR on August MCAT =(

29R and 3.79 GPA

I have two interviews so far: SUNY Upstate and Michigan State. Hoping for more!

out of curiosity, when were you complete and what were your grades, ec's, etc lke?

AMCAS was verified during the second week of August. Had my secondaries turned in to Penn State and MCW by the 10th of September. For IU, there is no secondary and I got the interview invite in early September. I got my interview invite for PS in middle November and for MCW in the first week of December, I believe.

My overall GPA is a 3.96, 3.92 BCPM according to AMCAS.

My EC's were pretty normal. Shadowing in the emergency room for a year, shadowing primary care physicians, pediatric nurses, etc. I worked at a major diabetes diagnostics company as a research and development intern for two summers. Held down a part time job during school. Various general clubs, intramurals, etc. Volunteered at a soup kitchen, special olympics, diabetes charity walk, volunteer medical clinic, etc. (nothing too special) My strongest EC was my volunteering to help mentally handicapped children. I've been doing it since I was in 4th grade (my mom taught/teaches mentally handicapped children at the elementary I attended) and my personal statement was heavily related to an experience I had while tutoring/mentoring, so I think that helped.

Honestly, I think I'm the perfect example of someone who is a fairly "regular pre-med" that worked hard and was rewarded. Not to mention a little bit of luck every once in a while...

Applied late (September) with a 6 in VR on August MCAT =(

29R and 3.79 GPA

I have two interviews so far: SUNY Upstate and Michigan State. Hoping for more!

When is your SUNY interview.? I have one therre at end of march and someone recently personal messaged me saying that their calss is already full.

how late was "late"?

Mostly in December, my file was complete in January in most places however.. I wanna kick myself for doing this :(

i have a 24O score and i completed most of my apps by nov. A few, I did end up turning in in Jan....I know that was a bad idea. But for the others...I have heard nothing from anyone. My G.P.A. is at a 3.77 and science is a 3.87. Do I have a chance? I completed my aamcas app in august.
:scared: Really losing it here. Please help

i have a 24O score and i completed most of my apps by nov. A few, I did end up turning in in Jan....I know that was a bad idea. But for the others...I have heard nothing from anyone. My G.P.A. is at a 3.77 and science is a 3.87. Do I have a chance?
:scared: Really losing it here. Please help

What's done is done, and asking what your chances are at this point will only drive you more crazy. A few folks will give you inspirational stories about people they know in similar situations. A few more will tell you your chances are low. But none of that helps you, so just let it all go and do something else with your time.

hopefully this gives hope to you guys who think anything <3.5 and <30 will bring you certain ruin.....:scared:

My MCAT was 26O (PS 7, BS 10, VR 9). My GPA at the time of applying was 3.35.

I only applied to 3 schools (NYMC, Howard, Jefferson)....and I got accepted to Jefferson a week after the interview! (still no word from the other schools though :sleep:)

Admittedly, I did hold many leadership and volunteer positions- tutoring for Bio, Chem, Orgo, peer mentoring for young women of color, working in the health center lab, president of a cultural organization- and some clinical experience (no research though)....but it just goes to show you that AdComms look at EVERYTHING in your application ! Moreover, I really think that exploring extracurriculars in addition to the "research" and the "clinical" are really important in distinguishing you from the rest of the premed crowd.

Also, one of my best friends got a 24 on her MCAT (with a 3.8 GPA) and got 3 interviews and 1 acceptance so far!!

So what I'm saying is....YES it is possible!

Good luck to everyone....p.s God does answer prayers!:oops:

I may be stating the obvious, but people seem to be getting in with MCAT = 29 pretty regularly, best with GPA > 3.5. For MCAT < 29, I'd recommend applying heavily to DO schools.

27Q (10V, 9B, 8P), English major. 3.5 gpa overall (3.25 science). The major minus point for me is that I'm chinese-vietnamese. So according to my advisor, there was a huge chance I might not get in b/c asian ppl normally score much higher ^-^;;.

fairly normal applicant, experience-wise, nothing that stood out.

i had 4 interviews (including 1 D.O.)
2 acceptances (including 1 D.O.)

I'm from TX though and I got into the school I wanted to get into so it's definitely doable.

My strength according to interviewers was that I was very articulate and easy to understand and my personal statement was well-written.

29Q MCAT (9P, 10V, 10B), 3.59 gpa (~3.4 BCPM) the only grade that dropped my science GPA was a B- freshman year in calculus. I was accepted at three schools i interviewed at...2 DO and 1 MD...most likely headed to Wright State SOM next year!!! it can be done, but i think if i had to do it all over again, i would definitely send apps to more schools...i only sent apps this year to 3 MD and 3 DO...probably not enough, but luckily it worked out!!

GL to everyone