Anxious about starting DPT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT2023Grad

Reaction score
I start PT school in a little over a month and I am super excited because I have waited for this moment for a long time! My excitement has been accompanied by some anxiety about the difficulty of PT school and my ability to succeed. I have always done exceedingly well in school and have never worried about any particular class so I do not understand where this anxiety is coming from.
I know PT school will be much more challenging than anything I have ever done academically, but for some reason, in my head, I feel like it will be even harder than I am imagining. I know this is an overreaction, but I was wondering if anybody else has dealt/dealing with the same feeling and if people can give some insight as to how they overcame some of the similar anxieties that I am having! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I start PT school in a little over a month and I am super excited because I have waited for this moment for a long time! My excitement has been accompanied by some anxiety about the difficulty of PT school and my ability to succeed. I have always done exceedingly well in school and have never worried about any particular class so I do not understand where this anxiety is coming from.
I know PT school will be much more challenging than anything I have ever done academically, but for some reason, in my head, I feel like it will be even harder than I am imagining. I know this is an overreaction, but I was wondering if anybody else has dealt/dealing with the same feeling and if people can give some insight as to how they overcame some of the similar anxieties that I am having! Thanks in advance!
They would not have accepted you if they did not think you were capable.

We all went through it, or most of us I would imagine. It is hard, a lot harder than UG, or my master's. You'll figure it out and adapt.

I will say........please, please, do not worry about your grades in DPT school. Just aim to pass. Absolutely no one will care if you have a high GPA. If you get a B on an exam, or an entire class, it does not matter. It's a little jarring initially when you're used to getting all A's or close enough, but you only need to stay in the program, there is no benefit to getting all A's.

I think it's normal to feel anxious, and that's okay. It just means it's important to you :) but try to not worry. You will absolutely adapt and be fine.

Congrats & good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
They would not have accepted you if they did not think you were capable.

We all went through it, or most of us I would imagine. It is hard, a lot harder than UG, or my master's. You'll figure it out and adapt.

I will say........please, please, do not worry about your grades in DPT school. Just aim to pass. Absolutely no one will care if you have a high GPA. If you get a B on an exam, or an entire class, it does not matter. It's a little jarring initially when you're used to getting all A's or close enough, but you only need to stay in the program, there is no benefit to getting all A's.

I think it's normal to feel anxious, and that's okay. It just means it's important to you :) but try to not worry. You will absolutely adapt and be fine.

Congrats & good luck!
Thank you so much! You're right, it is very important to me! Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated PT school this may 2021 and I remember being so anxious. You'll do fine, trust me. It'll seem daunting at first but you'll get the hang of things within a couple weeks. If it was truly super hard to pass, then schools would have a high failing rate, kick out many students, and lose out on tuition money.