anticoagulant vs antithrombotic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmerbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the differences to me and how they work in the body? I was under the impression that an antithrombotic is part of a classification of anticoagulants.. but my pathophysio professor uses antithrombotic as a treatment for each case instead of generalizing and saying anticoagulant. Also, what about antiplatelets? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Antithrombotics- reduce the formation of thrombus
Anticoagulants- reduces the ability of the blood to clot
Antiplatelets- limits the aggregation or migration of platelets thus preventing clots.

Some people use anticoags and antithrombotics interchangeably.

Those are just simple definitions though and a lot more goes into their mechanisms.

Can someone explain the differences to me and how they work in the body? I was under the impression that an antithrombotic is part of a classification of anticoagulants.. but my pathophysio professor uses antithrombotic as a treatment for each case instead of generalizing and saying anticoagulant. Also, what about antiplatelets? Thanks!

I always think of it as:

antithrombotic drugs: reduce thrombus, cover the three main drug classes -

1) antiplatelet - plavix, aspirin

2) anticoagulant (anything involving the coagulation pathway) - warfarin, heparin, dabigatran, rivaroxaban

3) thrombolytic drugs (break up the clot directly through plasmin) - alteplase, urokinase, streptokinase

Antithrombotic - reduces thrombus formation
Antiplatelet - limit migration or aggregation of blood platelet cells
Anitcoagulant - limit the ability of the blood to form a clot
Thrombolytic - dissolve clots after they have formed

Antiplatelet drugs are effective in inhibiting thrombus formation in the arterial circulation, anticoagulants (i.e. coumadin) have little effect in this area.
ex. Drug MOA
ASA inhibits cyclooxygenase
Clopidogrel ADP receptor antagonist
cilostazol PDE inhibitor
abciximab GPIIb/IIIa inhibitor
this is an incomplete list of antiplatelet drugs

Anticoagulant - Are most effective for clots formed in veins (i.e. DVT, Pulmonary embolisim)
ex Drug MOA
Coumadin Vitamin K epoxide reducatse inhibitor
hirudin Direct thrombin inhibitor
apixaban Factor Xa inhibitor
drugs in this class usually interfere at some point along the intrinsic/extrinsic clotting cascade

Thrombolytics - induce thrombolysis and limit damage caused by the blocakge of a blood vessel. They are usually most effective if given within the first hour, but may be given up to 6 hours after the onset of symptoms. Think of these as CLOT BUSTERS.

ex Drug MOA
alteplase tissue plasminogen activator

This is not anywhere near a complete list, but hope it helps your understanding

Reactions: 1 users