Antibodies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andafoo

Andy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what sort of things can antibodies bind to... can they bind to steroids?

See? Easy question!

Members don't see this ad.

Steroids are lipid based, so the general answer is no. Antigens usually present as some sort of protein or sugar. They will bind various proteins, toxins, pollens, etc. Anything that presents an antigen can be bound by antibodies (even your own cells, hence autoimmune diseases).

Steroids are lipid based, so the general answer is no. Antigens usually present as some sort of protein or sugar. They will bind various proteins, toxins, pollens, etc. Anything that presents an antigen can be bound by antibodies (even your own cells, hence autoimmune diseases).

Reason I asked was because I was asked a question that implied antibodies can bind to estrogen and progesterone. I found it strange so I asked.

I'm sure antibodies can bind to proteins and it's varient glycoproteins and lipoproteins... but a steroid?? I'm not sure where to look as a reference to answer this question. All I got is you guys :D.

Antibodies can actually be developed, either naturally or biochemically, to bind to just about anything. The hydrophobicity of a particular molecule is of no importance. Immunologically, a hydrophobic antigen may not produce as strong of a response, but I honestly have no idea about specific antigenic capacities. What you should know about antibodies is that their antigen binding sites can be structured to be specific, or at least have some sort of affinity, to any sort of structure (even specific polynucleotides or plastic polymers!).

Antibodies can actually be developed, either naturally or biochemically, to bind to just about anything. The hydrophobicity of a particular molecule is of no importance. Immunologically, a hydrophobic antigen may not produce as strong of a response, but I honestly have no idea about specific antigenic capacities. What you should know about antibodies is that their antigen binding sites can be structured to be specific, or at least have some sort of affinity, to any sort of structure (even specific polynucleotides or plastic polymers!).

Awesome :thumbup:! We'll be lookin' forward to those.