Antibiotics and benzodiazepines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birchswing

Non-medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always thought that fluoroquinolones are generally contraindicated in people taking benzodiazepines, and when I mentioned this to someone recently they hadn't heard about it.

So I took to doing research as I am wont to do, and I actually found more posts by people taking penicillin drugs like amoxicillin and penicillin itself. I did also find many articles regarding fluoroquinolones competing for site receptors with benzodiazepine drugs.

But the research on penicillins was interesting showing they are GABA-A antagonists, reduce benzodiazepine receptor sites, and also compete for benzodiazepine receptor sites:

It seems that it could theoretically cause neurotoxicity in anyone, but more likely to cause it in people who are renally impaired and anecdotally based on online posts I came across people on benzodiazepines—although that may be a different subclinical phenonemon of disrupting the drug rather than the clinical diseases of NCSE and encephalopathy. I'm not sure how such a line is drawn.

Anyhow, I found it interesting since I always considered the penicillins to be the "vanilla" of the antibiotics.

(Edit: That third link does work, not sure why it gave it that title. This new system is a bit funny.)

Members don't see this ad.