anti-malaria drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orbitz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to India in June, and I'm wondering which anti-malaria drugs do you recommend. It seems a lot of people take Larium, I'm nervous about that one because of its side effects. Has anyone taken larium before? Experience any of the side effects? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is best to rely on the doctor for this because he/she can evaluate your case to determine which antimalarial drug is best for the patient, because these drugs have serious side effects. Larium as you said...has been involved in a controversy since its use causes paranoia, depression, halluciantions etc...Also the medicine has lead to drug-resistant strains of plasmodium...

but other drugs like chloroquine (Aralen) and primaquine(oops! don't remember the brand name) can cause blood disorders (since most of these meds target the erythrocytic form of the malarial plasmodium to manage the symptoms of malaria) , nervous system & gastrointestinal disorders and eyesight problems. primaquine, i believe, is also counterindicated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and ofcourse anemia and other liver, blood or kidney problems.

Another drug is pyrimethamine (Daraprim), but it is not used on its own. It is used in comb. therapy with other drugs (Sulfadoxine: which is a sulfa drug - so you can't take it if you had allergies to sulfa antibiotics) for the prevention of malaria.

Also malaria meds have a lot of drug interactions - with -antivirals, antifungals, blood thinners, steroids, birth control pills etc...
so once again....your doc is your best bet....

my doc gave me quinine (in india).... I tolerated it fine....also..it works against all species of plasmodium, even those that have developed resistance to other anti-malarials. But, the quinine sulfate IV is not available in the US.

Malaria is a serious cause of concern in some countries...you woudl think they would come up with a vaccine already....?!!&* ( i think they hav one in the clinical trials stage)

Orbitz said:
Hey guys,

I'm going to India in June, and I'm wondering which anti-malaria drugs do you recommend. It seems a lot of people take Larium, I'm nervous about that one because of its side effects. Has anyone taken larium before? Experience any of the side effects? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Orbitz - where in india will u be?? it may be beneficial to see how rampant malaria would be where u go...
i'll be in andhra in june and i generally don't take any anti-malarials. the little buggers (mosquitoes - sp?) do like my blood but i take care in how i dress and take 'Off' with me all the time. the burning of sage, incense, etc helped keep them at bay ... so check to see what's going on in your area of visit... (btw i don't mean to say that you don't need to take any medicines, and as hopeful said, your primary care doc would be best resource)
have a good time in india! i'm sure you will.... enjoy all the mangoes, etc!!

Members don't see this ad :)
lata said:
Orbitz - where in india will u be?? it may be beneficial to see how rampant malaria would be where u go...
i'll be in andhra in june and i generally don't take any anti-malarials. the little buggers (mosquitoes - sp?) do like my blood but i take care in how i dress and take 'Off' with me all the time. the burning of sage, incense, etc helped keep them at bay ... so check to see what's going on in your area of visit... (btw i don't mean to say that you don't need to take any medicines, and as hopeful said, your primary care doc would be best resource)
have a good time in india! i'm sure you will.... enjoy all the mangoes, etc!!

I'm going to Mumbai at the end of June, since i'm going during the rainy season, its definitely important to take an anti-malaria. I think my doc wants me to take Larium, i'm just nervous to take it because of all the side effects. but other than that, i will enjoy the mangoes! too bad i can't eat pani puri...

hey orbitz , u can take chloroquine 300 mg base per week 4 weks prior to being in india & continue for 10 weeks after leaving . this is an adult dose .

nokia said:
hey orbitz , u can take chloroquine 300 mg base per week 4 weks prior to being in india & continue for 10 weeks after leaving . this is an adult dose .

I don't know how many of you are licensed physicians in the US to be giving this kind of medical advice. All I will say is that the US recommendations, the CDC quidelines, are available at http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/indianrg.htm

I've cut and pasted for your enjoyment.

Prevention

All travelers to malaria-risk areas in the Indian Subcontinent, including infants, children, and former residents of the Indian Subcontinent, should take one of the following antimalarial drugs (listed alphabetically):

atovaquone/proguanil,
doxycycline,
mefloquine,
primaquine (in special circumstances; see below)
NOTE: Chloroquine is NOT an effective antimalarial drug in the Indian Subcontinent and should not be taken to prevent malaria in this region.

I have taken mefloquine (larium), and had no problems.

i've visited india with my family in 91,94,96,2000 and will be going again this summer. For all trips we have taken Larium, and any other trips my parents have gone on they use it too. They are both physicians so it earns their recommendation.

`im from mangalore . the endemic area for malaria .. If chloroquine can work here , in this town....it can work anywhere ! yes there r MDR malaria cases too but i believe chloroquine is sufficient ....btw it`s ur health .

aahhh!!!! malaria - thats my favourite topic.!!!!! U know u r destined to fail if u dont know malaria in ndia....

Coming to the topic there are two types of prophylactic practices
1.Causal Prohylaxis
2. Suppressive prophylaxis

Causal Prophylaxis-
Preerythrocytic phase (in liver) which is the cause of malarial infection and clinical menifestations is a target for this purpose

Proguanil is a causal prophylactic primarily for P.falciparum but not employeed routinely becoz it has to be given daily and it is not effective against P.vivax

Primaquin is causal prohylaxis for all species of malarial parasite but it is not used in mass programmes since it has toxic potential. But if u r no G6PD deficient u can use it n does of 0.5 mg/kg BW daily.

Suppressive prophylaxis

Schizonticides whichsupress the erythrocytic phse and thus prevents the attack of malaria can be used as prophylactics. Though exoerythrocytic phase of p.vivax and other recurrent malaria continue the clinical disease doesnt appear.

Chloroquin 300 mg base ( 250 mg chloroquin phosphate = 150 mg base) one dose weekly. for infants it is 50mg for 1-5 yrs old its 100mg and for 5-7 yrs old its 200mg is a drug of choice it shouldnt be given for more thatn 3yrs for fear of cumulative toxicity. In travellers 1st and last dose should be 10mg/kg BW with a dose of primaquin 15 mg

Mefloquin 250 mg weekly or 500 mg fortnightly can be given where chloroquin resistance is prevalent. This regimen is not allowed for resident indians but travellers are allowed.

Doxycycline 100 mg daily starting from the day before travel and taken till 4 weeks after return from endemic area for chloroquin resistant p.falciparum is an alternative to individuals who cant take mefloquin. but it is contraindicated in pregnancy and children below age of 8 yrs.

retroviridae said:
NOTE: Chloroquine is NOT an effective antimalarial drug in the Indian Subcontinent and should not be taken to prevent malaria in this region.

Though chloroquin resistance in P. falciparum is widespread in India it is mostly low grade i.e. RI. Higher grades of resistance is seen in North east india. 29 districts are shifted to second line drugs (sulpha-pyrimethamine) under NAMP. But resistance isnt a big problem yet. Resistance can be prevented by taking verapamil along with chloroquin. RI grade resistance to chloroquin is also found in P.vivax in Chennai Mathura, tribal areas of MP and Mumbai. RII grade P.vivax is found in Bihar so if one is planning to visit these places he should use alternative regimen.

OMG shardul!!!!! :scared: it seems that u know KDT by heart. bye the way which year u r in?

shardul said:
Though chloroquin resistance in P. falciparum is widespread in India it is mostly low grade i.e. RI. Higher grades of resistance is seen in North east india. 29 districts are shifted to second line drugs (sulpha-pyrimethamine) under NAMP. But resistance isnt a big problem yet. Resistance can be prevented by taking verapamil along with chloroquin. RI grade resistance to chloroquin is also found in P.vivax in Chennai Mathura, tribal areas of MP and Mumbai. RII grade P.vivax is found in Bihar so if one is planning to visit these places he should use alternative regimen.

"They say that every fever can be malaria" in India. It is routine practice in our college to treat every fever case empirically with chloroquine if no diagnosis can be made. I think it is one of the cause of resistance. Experts please clear my doubt

allergic2morons said:
"They say that every fever can be malaria" in India. It is routine practice in our college to treat every fever case empirically with chloroquine if no diagnosis can be made. I think it is one of the cause of resistance. Experts please clear my doubt

We didn't empirically start anyone on anti-malarials without a positive blood smear (but anyone with fever got tested ... you are right, in India, TB and malaria could be anyone). By the time pts are sympotomatic, their blood smears (esp. a thick one) should be positive, assuming you have good people to read them. I do know that the local paramedical people used to go around to all the villages and anyone with fever got chloroquine and a blood draw. If they came back as positive, they would go back to give primaquine ... what did they call this in SPM? Presumptive treatments??? Anyway, we too always gave primaquine/chloroquine for antimalarial treatment. I don't think I ever saw a resistant case. But there were an awful lot of people relapsing even though they got definitive treatment. CDC must know what they are talking about.

allergic2morons said:
OMG shardul!!!!! :scared: it seems that u know KDT by heart. bye the way which year u r in?

i'm in 6th sem. what about u?

allergic2morons said:

If u r giving medicatin properly then there is no scope of resistance. If presumptive diagnosis is correct the appropriately administerd medicine would alleviate the disease but if there is no malarial parasite then there is no scope of resistance. Only one thing is to be kept in mind is that -whenever u start a course of medication u should complete it thats it :)

Antimalarials: The Harem

Once upon a time in a parallel Universe, there was a swampy kingdom ruled by King Medico. So, the story goes that once the kingdom was attacked by an epidemic of Malaria (Attack of the Plasmodia). The King (who is you in this story) decided to send his Queens out to destroy Malaria (much like in Chess: the Queen goes out to destroy, the King sits at home and watches ESPN!) He had 10 queens (including one eunuch), a mafia couple, a cyclist-warrior, a new warrior, and a CIA agent.

Disclaimer: My apologies for all the sexist, racist remarks in this story. It is fictional like Star Wars, but more palpable. No offense is meant to female humans, schizophrenics, eunuchs, Chinese, Parsis, Tamilians, Africans, Klutzes, womanizers, and the characters are not intended to look like real people, only fairy tale chumps.

Chloe-Queen (Chloroquine).
Right, so…Chloe the Queen was a pretty effective warrior; she fought fast and long.
The parasites had occupied the Temples of the Red Corpuscles and were trying to degrade the sacred substance Heme, but she complexed with Heme and together their combined forces destroyed the plasmodial membranes. She could kill most of the erythrocytic schizonts (Bloody schizos!), but couldn’t kill the resting forms in the liver (where they had set up their base camp). She did manage to kill a few vivax babies (gametes), though, but not enough to prevent relapses.
Her strategy of complexing with Heme was so effective that other queens (Queen-9, Mufflo-Queen, Mepacrine) also used it (with variable success).
When plasmodial resistance to her increased, the King sent a spy called Viru Tamil (Verapamil) who penetrated the evil plasmodial defenses and allowed Chloe to do her job. Later in the war, a mafia couple (Sulfa-Pyri) took su-pyri to do the job.

She was useful in other Wars too:
1. Killed E. histolytica and Giardia
2. The Great War of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis)
3. DLE
4. Lepra reactions
5. She also gave symptomatic relief to the King after he got Infectious Mononucleosis from kissing a teenage chambermaid.

Chloe the queen had the adverse effects of a typical woman:
• got under your SKIN (high affinity for melanin) and gave you an itch.
• got deep into the core of your being (high affinity for nuclear chromatin)
• aur aankhon mein bas gayi ( retinal accumulation). Love is Blind.
She gave the King headache and uneasiness, loss of hearing, blindness, mental disturbances and graying of hair. (damn typical woman!)
She did get pregnant though, and gave birth to a normal heir (no teratogenicity).
When the King drank himself to liver damage, she caused him to have seizures.
Being named after Chloro (Latin for green) she was a jealous queen, and the King could not be seen in the company of Mufflo-Queen, Amiodarone and other girls who could stop your heart from fluttering (antiarrhythmics).
She completely rid the kingdom of Falciparum (except some resistant forms), but vivax and ovale kept coming back. If the King went to an endemic area, he had her by his side for a week before and 10 weeks after.

Amodia-Queen (amodiaquine)
She was the African twin of Chloe; ditto on all counts but only called upon in time of war. Once the King took her on an endemic area junket, she almost killed him from toxic hepatitis and agranulocytosis. Known to be less toxic than Chloe, though – caused less of an itch.

Mufflo-Queen (mefloquine)
Mufflo came along to help Chloe get the falciparums that got away. She was very effective, fighting fast (though not as fast as Chloe) and long, but couldn’t kill vivax babies. She was more toxic than Chloe. She was called Mufflo because she muffled and shuffled about (disturbed sense of balance, ataxia, errors in operating machinery), yes indeed, she was quite the Klutz of the palace (strange dreams, anxiety, hallucinations). She tends to get lost in the bile circulation. Safe in pregnancy, but the first trimester is always a time to avoid her. She was also quite the heart stopper and a bitter kisser, like Queen-9, and was only allowed to come out in very resistant attacks (kinda like Kumbhkarna, only female, and prettier). Allowed to go on trips ( a week before and 3 weeks after) to endemic areas but you gotta bring her back and not leave her there for the locals.

Mepacrine
He was the palace eunuch, tried to act like Chloe, but was quite ineffective, very toxic, caused the King to vomit and go mad (psychosis). Was banned and thrown out of the Kingdom. Keeps cryin’ all the time – hence called Mepa-crine.

Queen-9 (Quinine)
Holy mo’fo’ big bad mamma. Queen-9 was like Chloe in the War, killing vivax babies and bloody schizos, but slightly slower to act (and shorter) and very very toxic. “Very bitter kisser,” said the King, “makes my stomach turn she does, the irritating bitch. Makes me deaf and blind, stimulates then depresses my brain. Sometimes I swear I can hear a ringing in my ears, did so the first time I met her – she said they were wedding bells! She is damn pretty though, quite the heart-stopper, and caused nausea, hypoglycemia, heavy breathing, fever, weakness in the legs and collapse in many of her suitors. Some even died. She aborted her babies, and killed my sperm, the bitch. She is a relief in varicose veins and when I get leg cramps at night though, and then she’s the typical wife. I reserve her for the times when falciparum attacks the palace (brain). She’s an effective killer when she teams up with the mafia Supyri, and the small time killers tetra and doxy.
In this scenario she is sometimes supported by Mufflo’s team with Arti-Sunita the Chinese Queen.

Progu-Anil Cyclewala (proguanil)
Progu-Anil got on his cycle (cycloguanil) and went to kill the bloody schizos too. This he accomplished by inhibiting DHFRase, a strategy also employed by the mafia couple Sulfa-Pyri. He was kinda slow like Queen-9, but fought longer. His major achievement was getting into the enemy base camp (got his inspiration from Prima-Queen!) and killing the sleeping falciparums and some vivaxes too. He didn’t kill any babies but didn’t let them grow up. He was much less toxic than the queens - caused the King some tummy upset, and almost caused him some loss of hair. He was safe to hang around in pregnant times but mostly went along with Chloe to swampy battlegrounds that didn’t agree with Chloe very much (not just to give her company!)

Prima-Queen (primaquine)
She didn’t kill any bloody schizos, but she killed the babies, and all the sleeping ones in the base camp. They gave her the Prima title then
Terrible effects in G6PD deficient people. Roots out relapsing malaria.

Bula-Queen
Indian twin sister of prima, safe in G6PD.

Sulfa-Pyri
Pyri (pyrimethamine) was the female Sulfa-Pyri mafia team. She could kill the enemy by inhibiting DHFRase directly (without getting on her cycle). Also didn’t let the babies grow up, like Anil. Sulfadoxine was her mate, he blocked the enemy a step ahead of Pyri. Together, these slow to act, but durable fighters exhausted the vivaxes in a strategy similar to the Septran Gang (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole).

PABA ---X-----> Folate ----X---->THFA
Sulfa Pyri/Trim

This gang took the su-pyri to kill the enemy when Chloe was ineffective. They took along Tetra and Doxy in their gang.

Tetra and Doxy
Small time killers. Slow, short acting, assist the Sulfa-Pyri gang to kill bloody schizos, and some falci sleepers.

The Chinese Queens
Very fast acting (like the Chinese playing ping-pong or like Jackie Chan) and short acting. Arti-Sunita (Artesunate) and Arti-Mathur (Artemether) killed the enemy babies. (These names are not real, guys). Used only for acute attacks of MDR falci. These beautiful ladies are heart stoppers too (QT prolonged, first degree A-V block), but they are kept secure in the palace. Ar-teeth-er (Arteether) (yes she’s got the typical Chinese teeth!) only for institutional use in cerebral malaria.

Halofantrine is a last resort (like a CIA agent used for assassination) and acts like Mufflo-Queen, also cross-reacts with her. May cause VT. Toxic fellow.

Atovaquone is a new warrior that teams up with Progu-Anil to kill bloody schizos. Also fights P. carinii and Toxoplasma gondii (Pyri was in the latter fight too)

shardul said:
i'm in 6th sem. what about u?
same here I am now sure we do know each other!!!!!!!! :)
But its gr8 u remember so much

shardul said:
If u r giving medicatin properly then there is no scope of resistance. If presumptive diagnosis is correct the appropriately administerd medicine would alleviate the disease but if there is no malarial parasite then there is no scope of resistance. Only one thing is to be kept in mind is that -whenever u start a course of medication u should complete it thats it :)
hmmmmm i get it now :idea:

hey dr jay kill that was totally hilarious :p ru an intern or pass out :confused: