Answering FAFSA questions about our parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychicoctopus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
However, you may want to answer questions about your parents if:
  • you are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
  • your school requires parental information from all students.

Does anyone know more information about whether we should answer questions about our parents? what factors play into figuring that out? I'm an incoming medical student for the class of 2015.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know more information about whether we should answer questions about our parents? what factors play into figuring that out? I'm an incoming medical student for the class of 2015.

You should check directly w/ your school but my school asked us to provide parents' info if we wanted to be considered for any need-based/grants/scholarships that were given out by our school (aka not gov't related).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask your school if they require it. Mine did not require parental info as a graduate level student (state school), and it got us more aid as a result. I did get a need based scholarship AND Perkins loans without parental info on the FAFSA (this IS school dependent, though). If your parents ARE going to be helping you out, than you can always put in their info if you want.

Graduate/professional students are independent for FAFSA purposes so the FAFSA EFC doesn't include parental information. It may matter for need-based aid, but some schools require it to be eligible in the first place.