Another Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salaam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all of you who recently matched! I'm a current MS3 planning to apply to IM this upcoming fall. Until recently I had planned to apply Med-Peds, so I actually completed a inpatient general Pediatrics sub-I and received a high pass for it. Unfortunately my school does not let students complete more than one sub-I because of space constraints. Would it be worthwhile to do an away rotation sub-I at another institution, given that I did not honor the sub-i (or do it in IM)? I did honor core IM with 260/265 STEP scores, but otherwise my clinical grades are a pretty mixed bag. I don't mind doing an away but would like to spare the $$$ if it wouldn't help that much. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all of you who recently matched! I'm a current MS3 planning to apply to IM this upcoming fall. Until recently I had planned to apply Med-Peds, so I actually completed a inpatient general Pediatrics sub-I and received a high pass for it. Unfortunately my school does not let students complete more than one sub-I because of space constraints. Would it be worthwhile to do an away rotation sub-I at another institution, given that I did not honor the sub-i (or do it in IM)? I did honor core IM with 260/265 STEP scores, but otherwise my clinical grades are a pretty mixed bag. I don't mind doing an away but would like to spare the $$$ if it wouldn't help that much. Thanks!
I don't recommend an away sub-I assuming you are a US MD. It's highly unlikely to help you and by being a new person in an unfamiliar system, there's no guarantee you'll do as well as you might have at your home institution.

If your school allows it, do a MICU rotation before September. It's practically a subI most places, and if anyone asks you why you didn't do a medicine subi, just be honest: You were deciding medicine vs med-peds and your school only allows one. No one will penalize you for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, Raryn's approach sounds good. Hard to make an amazing impression in an unfamiliar environment and if you make a bad impression it will definitely be remembered come application time. Most people in IM won't have done an away rotation at the program where they end up matching in any case ... the numbers are too large to allow for that.

Reactions: 1 user