Another (sigh) "Assess me!" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NR3A

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

So here's another one of those threads.

-3.85 sGPA 3.95 non science, 3.90 cGPA.

-One summer shadowing a doctor in a neurology clinic.

-One year (40 hours a week) (gap year between high school and college) working at a large city childrens hospital, involving clinical research (one first author publication and one acknowledgement from this one).

-Two summers at NIH (awards for my research both summers).

-Doing biochemical research now and through the summer + senior year---will most likely get a publication out of this but probably after the application cycle. Member of an Honors society type thing on campus (also member of the citizenship committee of said society).

-General chemistry/organic chemistry tutor for two years. Also a lab TA for organic.

-Recommendations from the doctor who supervised me on my year off, the head of my NIH lab and my biochemistry professor.

-Non-medical: Music minor, perform regularly in the area.

Taking the MCAT in July (kind of late in my opinion). Do I need to pull off some kind of miracle there to be really competitive in the top tier schools? I'm also trying to go for the *gasp* MD/PhD track which makes it more difficult. Am I crazy to think I could make it into a top 10?

The only other x-factor is I do have some connections, as it were, to a few high level schools. I by no means think that those will get me in, or even do anything at all for me necessarily (does anyone have experience with this type of thing?). The strongest connection is an immediate family member who is chair of a department at a medical school.

Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate all the help!

Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? I'm going to volunteer at a hospital again this summer, but I imagine my application will be in by then, so it won't be on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IIRC avg MCAT for accepted MD/PhD students is 34.5.

It sounds like you have a good start. Dont ignore EC activities. Be very careful about using "connections" THis can really backfire with admissions com unless they have worked with you in a meaningful way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys. Any other advice?

Bump. Sorry but I'd love some more advice!

Added some more info. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.