This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CushingsCushion

Reaction score
I'm interested in IM and Psych and have applied to programs offering a combined residency in both specialties, but if I don't match into one and instead match into IM, can I do a psych residency afterwards? If so, would I have to reapply via ERAS? Is it possible to fast track a psych program if I already completed IM?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d imaging that you’d have to go through the match again. Most if not all programs are in the match. AFAIK they have to open up all their spots to the match. Also there may be some funding problems when you do another residency. You may save a little time in second speciality when you complete your “intern” year. 1/2 year to a year for psych if what I seem to remember.

There are some intersects between those two specialities; however, I truly believe the more you see, the more you know. Maybe talk to some of those people who did combined program and see what their practice is like now. If you don’t match into a combined program you have a better understanding of what your job prospects.

Good luck.

I think going with separate programs rather than combined puts you at a severe disadvantage

primarily due to funding issues I believe.

Don't know 100% of the details but the government will not pay for residents beyond XYZ # of years.

This is why it is difficult to do a second residency (i.e. derm after IM)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think going with separate programs rather than combined puts you at a severe disadvantage

primarily due to funding issues I believe.

Don't know 100% of the details but the government will not pay for residents beyond XYZ # of years.

This is why it is difficult to do a second residency (i.e. derm after IM)
Not true... aPD has posted a number of times that if a program wants you , funding is not huge barrier... they will figure it out.

If you match only IM, then talk to the PDs there in IM and psych to see if something a can be arranged to do the other one.

Question though, if you were to match psych would you look to do IM as a second residency or would you be find just doing psych?

Training in IM/Psych is complicated as is. The employment options afterwards are hard to find. If you take care of medically complicated psych patients, most IM people won't cross cover your patients because they are "crazy", and most psych people won't cross cover because they are "sick". Some univeristy programs might run true med/psych clinics, but there aren't many of those. It's also an insurance nightmare, since many policies have different med and psych components (so when you see patients, you need to decide whether you're seeing them for IM or psych, not both).

Honestly, pick one and stick with it. "Not sure which one I want" is a great way to get to the PGY-3, decide which one you want, and be stuck with another 2 PGY years.

Reactions: 2 users
Not true... aPD has posted a number of times that if a program wants you , funding is not huge barrier... they will figure it out.

If you match only IM, then talk to the PDs there in IM and psych to see if something a can be arranged to do the other one.

Question though, if you were to match psych would you look to do IM as a second residency or would you be find just doing psych?

You are wrong. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is a real hurdle.

The fact that the program has to "figure it out" regarding your funding for a second residency puts you at an inherent disadvantage. The money has to come from somewhere, and money doesn't grow on trees.

This is a real problem for people applying to a second residency.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it is a very real hurdle. And applicants for a second residency need to be aware going in that they are at a disadvantage.

You are wrong. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is a real hurdle.

The fact that the program has to "figure it out" regarding your funding for a second residency puts you at an inherent disadvantage. The money has to come from somewhere, and money doesn't grow on trees.

This is a real problem for people applying to a second residency.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it is a very real hurdle. And applicants for a second residency need to be aware going in that they are at a disadvantage.
Yeah...what do those silly old PDs know anyway....smh