All Branch Topic (ABT) Another HPSP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icer0ller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A (competent) recruiter would be best suited to answer your questions, but I'll give it a shot:

1.) Although it's towards the end of the line, you may still be able to get a 4 year. Talk to a recruiter regarding this year's availability. You can get boarded for a 4 year, and if that doesn't work out, get boarded for the 3 year right after.

2.) Nope. A 3 year pays for only 3 years...

3.) If I remember correctly, you start that in the 2nd year of residency, but once again, check with a recruiter

4.) You should be entering as an O-3, just like your HPSP buddies upon graduating med school

5.) Competitiveness is a relative subject and will depend on your grades and test scores. For HPSP, your specialty doesn't matter, for FAP, it may (as it is only available for specialties that are needed at the time)

In all, if you're considering the military as a doc, I hope it comes from a desire to be a soldier. There are a lot of variables out of your control when you join, so the military route is probably not the best way to further specific career goals.