Another EK error Need confirmation 277

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cobra venom is competitive inhibitor of Ach. What would you expect to happen when someone get bit.

A. Excessive stimulation of most parasympathetic neurons
B. CNS neuronal degeneration and death
C. Respiratory muscle paralysis
D. rapid heart rate and dehydration

I know A /B is sure wrong

C I have no clue

D I reason to be right because Ach is parasympathic on the heart which slow heart down so if you inhibit Ach you increase heart rate.

However The books says the answer is D while their explanation is kinda crappy. can someone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

And also for bacteria the kreb cycle is in the cytoplasm right?

Last edited:
And also for bacteria the kreb cycle is in the cytoplasm right?

Nvm It is called something else in bacteria.

What is the pathway that aerobic bacteria use to generate the H+ gradient?
Yes, because bacterias don't have mitrochondria.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cobra venom is competitive inhibitor of Ach. What would you expect to happen when someone get bit.

C I have no clue

D I reason to be right because Ach is parasympathic on the heart which slow heart down so if you inhibit Ach you increase heart rate.

However The books says the answer is D while their explanation is kinda crappy. can someone confirm this?
Here is a website that explains in details what happens physiologicaly after a Cobra bite:
http://www.engin.umich.edu/~cre/web_mod/cobra/venom2.htm

The ETC of bacteria (or something similar to the ETC) is in their plasma membrane, right?

Which of the following metabolic process occurs in both the mitochondria and cytosol?

D. kreb cycle=wrong apparently even though a few problem earlier they just said that kreb cycle can occur in mitochondra and cytosol( for bacteria) this is freaking frustrating

Which of the following metabolic process occurs in both the mitochondria and cytosol?

D. kreb cycle=wrong apparently even though a few problem earlier they just said that kreb cycle can occur in mitochondra and cytosol( for bacteria) this is freaking frustrating

Bacteria don't have mitochondria.

C I have no clue

This question is getting at the sympathetic and parasympathetic activation, but you are right C and D could both be considered correct, but you have to assume they are referring to the diaphragm in C, which they didn't specify in the answer choices, so D would be the most direct and correct answer.

To go through 1 by 1.

A) Incorrect because an antagonist would cause a REDUCTION in the activation of parasympathetic neurons

B) Is incorrect for a number of reasons, 1) antagonist most likely won't cross the blood/brain barrier 2) A competitive antagonist is usually not strong enough to cause death, because you still get activation, it's just greatly reduced. Plus a number of other reasons I won't get into, because they aren't really that important based on the question.

C) I'm going to go out on a limb on this one and say they are referring to the diaphragm, which would experience some paralysis, so this question leaves a little ambiguity. Because if you were give someone an antagonist to ACh such as Curare (a nicotinic receptor antagonist), this would react at the muscles and cause paralysis of the diaphragm. That would be respiratory muscle paralysis. Now the question is if they are referring to nicotinic or muscarinic receptors. I think this is a possibility for an answer, but since the venom could inhibit multiple systems depending on the receptor preference it does leave some abiguity for it being it being the correct answer.

D) This one is correct under all circumstances, because, like you said, if you give someone a competitive inhibitor of ACh, then an immediate expected response would be an increase in heart rate, because ACh released by the vagus nerve causes a decrease in heart rate, so when you inhib that process the heart rate will increase because it can no longer regulate itself. The dehydration is caused by the decreased responsiveness of the parasympathetic system, which would lead to activated sympathetic responses compared to the regular equilibrium between the systems. This is because all of the effectors from the parasympathetic system utilize ACh as a primary NT, so when you block/reduce that activate you in turn reduce the efficacy of that system.

Overall, the ambiguity of C with no abiguity of D makes D a better answer.

I have seen a couple AAMC questions that use similar logic, which is the BEST answer. Some of them will be completely wrong, but you might have two that are very close but one is generally a better answer than the other.

They are usually less ambigous than the above question though.

C I have no clue

This question is weird-C and D can both be correct.

Here is a website that explains in details what happens physiologicaly after a Cobra bite:
http://www.engin.umich.edu/~cre/web_mod/cobra/venom2.htm

This website says cobra venom in a noncompetitive inhibitor of ACh receptor sites, this would mean that EK is wrong about the cobra venom, but they called cobra venom a competitive inhibitor, so the reaction at the receptor sites and effector organs would be different.

This website says cobra venom in a noncompetitive inhibitor of ACh receptor sites, this would mean that EK is wrong about the cobra venom, but they called cobra venom a competitive inhibitor, so the reaction at the receptor sites and effector organs would be different.

Doesn't the website say it's a competitive inhibitor?

Doesn't the website say it's a competitive inhibitor?

Nope.

Website said:
Unlike the acetylcholine molecule; however, the venom molecule will not immediately react with the alcohol group of the receptor site, and therefore, it will not brake down and vacate the receptor site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bacteria don't have mitochondria.

I knwo but in that problem they basically said which of those process can occurs in places beside cytoplasm. which is kreb cycle cuz it can happen in mitochondria. it was not really cell specific.

Last edited:
One problem i had with this question is the following, and I'm hoping someone can give me clarification:

Don't parasympathetic and sympathetic pregangion neurons all use ACh?
So wouldn't an inhibitor of ACh also reduce the effectiveness of the sympathetic system as well?

I know that postganglion, the two systems have two different NTs. But why hasn't the issue of pre-ganglion synapse inhibition been mentioned yet? What am I missing?

thanks in advance!!

One problem i had with this question is the following, and I'm hoping someone can give me clarification:

Don't parasympathetic and sympathetic pregangion neurons all use ACh?
So wouldn't an inhibitor of ACh also reduce the effectiveness of the sympathetic system as well?

I know that postganglion, the two systems have two different NTs. But why hasn't the issue of pre-ganglion synapse inhibition been mentioned yet? What am I missing?

thanks in advance!!

They use Ach for neuron to neuron transmission. but sympathetic uses norepninphrin +epinerphine as signal to effector cells.

I knwo but in that problem they basically said which of those process can occurs in places beside cytoplasm. which is glycolysis cuz it can happen in mitochondria. it was not really cell specific.

Dude, glycolysis does NOT happen in the mitrochondria ever. It's only in the cyotplasm. The question you're talking about is kind of bad because EK is technically right because they never specify "in bacteria" but they do ask about a location other than where peptidoglycan synthesis occurs... which only occurs in bacteria!

So for euk cells, they're right - but the question was poorly worded. Every process in bacteria happens in the cytoplasm.

I knwo but in that problem they basically said which of those process can occurs in places beside cytoplasm. which is glycolysis cuz it can happen in mitochondria. it was not really cell specific.

Glycolysis doesn't occur in the mitochondria...it occurs in the cytosol.

They use Ach for neuron to neuron transmission. but sympathetic uses norepninphrin +epinerphine as signal to effector cells.

Isn't this the order of steps though:
1)preganglion neuron uses Ach at postganglion synapse
2)postganglion neuron uses NE at effector

so i guess i'm asking, if ACh is inhibited, how do you still have #2 since I don't think #1 would happen (obviously im wrong, i dont know why though)

Isn't this the order of steps though:
1)preganglion neuron uses Ach at postganglion synapse
2)postganglion neuron uses NE at effector

so i guess i'm asking, if ACh is inhibited, how do you still have #2 since I don't think #1 would happen (obviously im wrong, i dont know why though)

Well, all preganglionic neurons (sympathethic and parasympathetic) use ACh, but only the postganglionic neurons in parasympathetic use ACh. Postganglionic symapthetic neurons use epinephrine. Not ALL postganglionic neurons use epinephrine, so 1 can still occur.

C I have no clue

Hold on-I just checked my book and the answer is C. Explanation:

"Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter used to stimulate 1) the parasympathetic nervous system and 2) somatic muscular system. The parasympathetic nervous system acts to decrease the heart rate. When acetylcholine receptor function is blocked muscle paralysis does result. If respiratory muscles (i.e., diaphragm) cease to function, death from respiratory failure occurs.FYI: rapid heart rate is stimulated by norepinephrine, a sympathetic nervous system neurotransmitter"

Okay, so yes it is a crappy explanation. I still think the answer can be either C or D. BUT, I don't see the direct relevance of the dehydration part in answer choice D, which makes C a better answer.

Well, all preganglionic neurons (sympathethic and parasympathetic) use ACh, but only the postganglionic neurons in parasympathetic use ACh. Postganglionic symapthetic neurons use epinephrine. Not ALL postganglionic neurons use epinephrine, so 1 can still occur.

So let me rephrase it: If the sympathetic system uses ACh at its ganglion synapse, before it used NE at its effector, how does an inhibiter of ACh not effect it? (sorry i didnt understand the explanation)

I saw your latest post. That is odd......their explanation didnt seem to invalidate the heart thing.....

So let me rephrase it: If the sympathetic system uses ACh at its ganglion synapse, before it used NE at its effector, how does an inhibiter of ACh not effect it? (sorry i didnt understand the explanation)

I saw your latest post. That is odd......their explanation didnt seem to invalidate the heart thing.....

Wait, I think I misread your question. You bring up an interesting point. So everyone at the preganglionic stage uses ACh...and if that's screwed, then the potsganglionics can't be stimulated to release NE, yes? It seems that it would mess up the NE indirectly...you do have a point, although I'm not too sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

Yeah, their explanation didn't invalidate the heart choice at all...but I think it has to do with the dehydration part that makes it a weird answer choice?

I think the key here is that both systems would be affected but the parasympathetic would be effected to a greater extent. Think about it this way:

Parasympathetic:

CNS ------< ACh O-----< ACh (Effector organ)

There are two stages here where the competitive inhibitor can react in the peripheral nervous system.

Sympathetic:

CNS -------< ACh O------< Nor/Epi (Effector Organ)

Here this is only one location for a reduction in peripheral nervous system, at the ganglion.

So, while the sympathetic nervous system would be impacted, the parasympathetic nervous system would be impacted to a greater extent, by acting as a competitive inhibitor to ACh at the ganglion and the effector organ.

Just my take though. I don't think the question is very good, but I think both C and D could be possible answers.

Wait, I think I misread your question. You bring up an interesting point. So everyone at the preganglionic stage uses ACh...and if that's screwed, then the potsganglionics can't be stimulated to release NE, yes? It seems that it would mess up the NE indirectly...you do have a point, although I'm not too sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

Yeah, their explanation didn't invalidate the heart choice at all...but I think it has to do with the dehydration part that makes it a weird answer choice?

Yes this is exactly what I'm saying. But no one else seems to have even considered it!

Yes this is exactly what I'm saying. But no one else seems to have even considered it!

Ha that is interesting I never thought of it that way. However after thinking about it your explanation still does not work. Heart Muscle is parasympathetic controlled mainly. Which mean there is a constant flow of Ach to the heart to slow it down. The heart's natural beat frequency (if you take away the Ach) is actually higher than usual. I am 80% sure of this but I will go to my physiology book to make sure.

"normally, tonic control of heart rate is dominated by the parasympathetic branch. This can be shown experimentally by blocking all autonomic imput to the heart. When all sympathetic and parasympatheic input is blocked, the spontaneous deoplarization rate of the SA node is 90-100 times per minute. to achieve a resting heart rate of 70 beats per minute, tonic parasympathetic activity must slow the intrinsic rate down from 90 beats per minute."

exactly what i was thinking :)

Last edited:
Ha that is interesting I never thought of it that way. However after thinking about it your explanation still does not work. Heart Muscle is parasympathetic controlled mainly. Which mean there is a constant flow of Ach to the heart to slow it down. The heart's natural beat frequency (if you take away the Ach) is actually higher than usual. I am 80% sure of this but I will go to my physiology book to make sure.

Ah that would make some sense. That would minimize the effect the sympathetic system has on it - i was completely unaware. Hopefully i cover this in the next chapter of bio: circulatory. IT wasnt covered in the nervous system chapter. thanks very much for looking into it in your book. That helped alot

that is a real pain in the butt though isn't it? For our nervous system to constantly have to fire away to keep the rate down. I figured it would be more energy effecient the other way round!

Last edited:
I think the key here is that both systems would be affected but the parasympathetic would be effected to a greater extent. Think about it this way:

Parasympathetic:

CNS ------< ACh O-----< ACh (Effector organ)

There are two stages here where the competitive inhibitor can react in the peripheral nervous system.

Sympathetic:

CNS -------< ACh O------< Nor/Epi (Effector Organ)

Here this is only one location for a reduction in peripheral nervous system, at the ganglion.

So, while the sympathetic nervous system would be impacted, the parasympathetic nervous system would be impacted to a greater extent, by acting as a competitive inhibitor to ACh at the ganglion and the effector organ.

Just my take though. I don't think the question is very good, but I think both C and D could be possible answers.

Yeah that makes sense if the inhibition is not 100%. Then some sympathetic activity possibly slips through the first step. But if its 100% then i would think it doesnt matter b/c the sympathetic system then doesnt get to use the NE.....it never gets past the ganglion synapse.......or so i think

Ok guys here it is.

The neurotransmitter in question is Ach.

The answer should be C and that is exactly what spider venom does.

The D answer choice is wrong because the (1st order to the chain or the ganglion) pre-ganglionic sympathetic neurons use Ach. It is the (2nd to the end organ from these ganglions) post-ganglionic sympathetic that use cathecolamines.

You aren't supposed to know that fact unless you were given this in a passage. According to the AAMC website.

So, you wouldn't expect the heart rate to really rise plus, it is a COMPETITIVE INHIBITOR. Ach still can stimulate the cholinergic receptors since it is competitive inhibition and the homeostasis can cause more ach to be released. So, it won't be a parasympathetic or sympathetic problem significantly rather than problem for the end organs/tissues that use Ach as their stimulatory signal. Muscles are the main ones. And if you can't breathe then you will die and that is the most significant effect because you can't afford to cause even some amount of inhibition of the diaphragm. muscle.

Ok guys here it is.

The D answer choice is wrong because the (1st order to the chain or the ganglion) pre-ganglionic sympathetic neurons use Ach. It is the (2nd to the end organ from these ganglions) post-ganglionic sympathetic that use cathecolamines.

You aren't supposed to know that fact unless you were given this in a passage. According to the AAMC website.

So, you wouldn't expect the heart rate to really rise plus, it is a COMPETITIVE INHIBITOR. Ach still can stimulate the cholinergic receptors since it is competitive inhibition and the homeostasis can cause more ach to be released. So, it won't be a parasympathetic or sympathetic problem significantly rather than problem for the end organs/tissues that use Ach as their stimulatory signal. Muscles are the main ones. And if you can't breathe then you will die and that is the most significant effect because you can't afford to cause even some amount of inhibition of the diaphragm. muscle.

Which fact aren't you supposed to know? Don't tell me I'd be penalized for actually knowing stuff........

So is it all effectors innvervated by the somatic and parasympathetic systems that feel the hurt?

thanks....that was solid

Which fact aren't you supposed to know? Don't tell me I'd be penalized for actually knowing stuff........

So is it all effectors innvervated by the somatic and parasympathetic systems that feel the hurt?

thanks....that was solid

I think you should know which neurons (pre/postganglionic) use which neurotransmitters.

I think you should know which neurons (pre/postganglionic) use which neurotransmitters.

this whole time we were thinking para vs symp and its about the effectors. good lesson i guess. freakin long and hard lesson

sometimes i wonder if im studying for a chance at entrance to medschool or an exam that crowns me as a full fledged genius

For ps:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/pstopics.pdf

For bs:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/bstopics.pdf

From AAMC:
Sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems (functions, antagonistic control)

The MCAT is an easy exam if you can think logically and do more with little information you use or have. It is disadvantageous many times to know more because the answers are based on the passages and it is very likely that the passage might include information that you have not thought about or don't know. It is an exam which tests how well you do what little info you know and apply it to unknown situations. People that understand this gist do very very well. Just know ONLY what the aamc wants you to know. Focus on the big and fundamental topics. Don't stress over really few minutiae information. You MUST know what the question maker is getting at. What are they REALLY testing? They always bring you back to the fundamental concepts even though the question stem may say something that is very far from the topic. It always has to and does come down to the fundamentals except few of those useless biology facts that require just spitting out. If you have time, adjust to what I have stated and you will realize that you will spend LESS TIME AND ENERGY and cash in more. It is about efficiency. Efficiency will always get you further in the maths and sciences.

this whole time we were thinking para vs symp and its about the effectors. good lesson i guess. freakin long and hard lesson

sometimes i wonder if im studying for a chance at entrance to medschool or an exam that crowns me as a full fledged genius

You have yet to meet your real test. The USMLE where you must actually know a lot and i mean a lot and integrate info and apply knowledge.

mcat is a good jump start for that.

Lol the more you know the more "exceptions" you know and tend to find more flaws in the material...

Lol the more you know the more "exceptions" you know and tend to find more flaws in the material...

Form what I know, these flaws you speak of are in EK, tpr, and kaplan. I don't know who designs their questions because many of them are just really crappy! The aamc isn't out to get you. It is however out to make you think at a really high level. you can lol all you want. AAMC philosophy will not change. They test concepts rather than minute details and ridiculous calculations which take some time. The real exam is much more straightforward because of this. Most people aren't good at applying concepts. Going from fundamental concepts and applying them to unknown cases/situations at a 2ndary tertiary level isn't easy for most people. Hence the average scores.

Form what I know, these flaws you speak of are in EK, tpr, and kaplan. I don't know who designs their questions because many of them are just really crappy! The aamc isn't out to get you. It is however out to make you think at a really high level. you can lol all you want. AAMC philosophy will not change. They test concepts rather than minute details and ridiculous calculations which take some time. The real exam is much more straightforward because of this. Most people aren't good at applying concepts. Going from fundamental concepts and applying them to unknown cases/situations at a 2ndary tertiary level isn't easy for most people. Hence the average scores.

I wouldn't entirely agree about the ridiculous calculations part lol...a lot of the recent MCATs had PS sections that were calculation HEAVY. Agree about the concepts part, though.

For ps:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/pstopics.pdf

For bs:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/bstopics.pdf

From AAMC:
Sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems (functions, antagonistic control)

The MCAT is an easy exam if you can think logically and do more with little information you use or have. It is disadvantageous many times to know more because the answers are based on the passages and it is very likely that the passage might include information that you have not thought about or don't know. It is an exam which tests how well you do what little info you know and apply it to unknown situations. People that understand this gist do very very well. Just know ONLY what the aamc wants you to know. Focus on the big and fundamental topics. Don't stress over really few minutiae information. You MUST know what the question maker is getting at. What are they REALLY testing? They always bring you back to the fundamental concepts even though the question stem may say something that is very far from the topic. It always has to and does come down to the fundamentals except few of those useless biology facts that require just spitting out. If you have time, adjust to what I have stated and you will realize that you will spend LESS TIME AND ENERGY and cash in more. It is about efficiency. Efficiency will always get you further in the maths and sciences.

You can get hurt by bringing in outside knowledge to the science passages? I thought you had to integrate what you bring, with what the passage tells you, to get at the solution. I figured outside knowledge was a big no no on verbal but not sciences. I think I get your drift though. It is already hurting me b/c i tend to debate alot these days on lots of questions........

Any suggestions on steps we can pursue to adjust? Is this about making sure you know the concepts cold - b/c that is too simple right? How can we test this beyond what we are already doing? - Perhaps actively think more about larger concepts and interlinkages?

Christ according to this i be fcut! TPR is so math heavy dammit. I try to force myself to actively go beyond the details but i admit, i've felt limited by the prep materials in term of this concept stuff...........or perhaps I need to make a better effort to see the concepts in the questions....hmmm

thanks for the comments though.........and I'll worry about the USMLE if i dont bomb the mcat.....and sneak into a medschool somewhere

Ok guys here it is.

Actually, D could also be correct. You forget that the SA node normally initiates contraction faster than what your actual heart rate is. This is because it's inhibited by the vagus (parasympathetic). If you inhibit ACh action, you will see an increase in heart rate because you're inhibiting an inhibition.

Both C and D could be right. C is definitely right due to ACh being a neurotransmitter and neuromuscular junctions. The reason I think that C is the better answer is because, as mentioned by other posters, ACh antagonism would also affect, to a certain extent, sympathetic activities at the preganglionic/postganglionic junction. Hope this helps.

Actually, D could also be correct. You forget that the SA node normally initiates contraction faster than what your actual heart rate is. This is because it's inhibited by the vagus (parasympathetic). If you inhibit ACh action, you will see an increase in heart rate because you're inhibiting an inhibition.

Both C and D could be right. C is definitely right due to ACh being a neurotransmitter and neuromuscular junctions. The reason I think that C is the better answer is because, as mentioned by other posters, ACh antagonism would also affect, to a certain extent, sympathetic activities at the preganglionic/postganglionic junction. Hope this helps.

Yes I know that. It has an anti-parasympathetic effect. I know about the cholinergic receptors on the heart. I said that the significant effect would be on the respiratory muscles. Also, the sympathetic nervous pre-ganglionic uses ach. so it will also be inhibited to an extent but not as great. So, yes you will see an increase in the heart rate by a couple of beats/min but the major effect would be choice c.
The question stem should state the most significant effect would be....

This is all assuming that we aren't talking about anaphalayxsis. Because that is usmle stuff.

That would cause an increase in heart rate and changes in the other physiological parameters due to compensation/homeostasis. But, you have to stick with the question stem. Plus, people hyperventilate when they get bitten so that is going to increase the heart rate.

Anyways, choice c is the better answer choice.

Neil100, how do you know what's going to be on the USMLE? You haven't matriculated into medical school yet. You keep tossing out the statement "This is USMLE level" but I don't think you should be saying that when you don't know what you learn in medical school and what you're expected to know for Step 1. Especially this statement:

You have yet to meet your real test. The USMLE where you must actually know a lot and i mean a lot and integrate info and apply knowledge.

mcat is a good jump start for that.

You make it sound as if you've taken Step 1 already. And you can't have if you are not in medical school yet. Seems misleading.