Ann Arbor, Michigan Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonso

residency resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting residency at the University of Michigan (very soon) and wondered if people familiar with Ann Arbor would be willing to offer up advice on nice places to stay or areas,i.e. north of campus versus west, etc. (and any other advice). I saw a lot of houses and was not impressed so I'll likely limit myself to condos (if I do end up buying in the end).

Ann Arbor's housing market is particularly bad with very many places to choose from, so I'm not too worried about getting started this late in the game as I have to move in a couple of months.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting residency at the University of Michigan (very soon) and wondered if people familiar with Ann Arbor would be willing to offer up advice on nice places to stay or areas,i.e. north of campus versus west, etc. (and any other advice). I saw a lot of houses and was not impressed so I'll likely limit myself to condos (if I do end up buying in the end).

Ann Arbor's housing market is particularly bad with very many places to choose from, so I'm not too worried about getting started this late in the game as I have to move in a couple of months.

Thank you

A buddy of mine is a graduating resident there. He'd love to sell you his condo. ;)

But seriously, IIRC, U of M's resident association has a realtor that specifically works with their relocating residents. You might want to contact them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several people have told me that Ypsilini has some nice areas/homes. We also looked at some condo’s in Ann Arbor that looked nice and were fairly reasonable.

Thank you

Me too! I found a decent duplex. Are you looking to rent or buy?

Thank you

Sonso why aren't you asking your future fellow residents? :laugh:

Try out this site: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/hoa/house_listings
if you don't mind cast offs from other residents. It is definitely a buyer's market. My personal bias would be within walking distance of Main Street, but that's just the alcoholic in me talking.

Sonso why aren't you asking your future fellow residents? :laugh:

Try out this site: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/hoa/house_listings
if you don't mind cast offs from other residents. It is definitely a buyer's market. My personal bias would be within walking distance of Main Street, but that's just the alcoholic in me talking.

I did and received many responses. I am asking everybody from my future co-residents, to agents, to SDNers.

Thank you to everybody who responded!

BTW, I was looking at some Walden Hill condos. They are a little older but modernized, nice price for 2 bed 2 bath 1173 square feet and pretty close to downtown, campus, and the hospital. Any thoughts on Walden's location? It's sort of southwest...