Angry Black Person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

re4rMDlurker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when an African-American/black person (my frame of reference, but I am sure it happens to other minority groups as well) stands up for themselves and/or their beliefs, they are labeled the "angry black girl/guy" or "militant"?

Many professional students then try to "go along" with the majority group so as not to be pigeon-holed, or referred to as "them", by not commenting on racially-biased lectures, or issues that they feel strongly about. I mention professional school in particular (Med, Law, Dent,etc.) because we are(usually, but not always) the minority in terms of number, in a relatively small class where everyone eventually ends up knowing everyone else, to some extent. It's a unique dynamic.

Has this happened to you? Have you observed this? (Happened to me today on the main forum). How do you deal with this? Do you even care? Please share and let's discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it that when an African-American/black person (my frame of reference, but I am sure it happens to other minority groups as well) stands up for themselves and/or their beliefs, they are labeled the "angry black girl/guy" or "militant"?

Many professional students then try to "go along" with the majority group so as not to be pigeon-holed, or referred to as "them", by not commenting on racially-biased lectures, or issues that they feel strongly about. I mention professional school in particular (Med, Law, Dent,etc.) because we are(usually, but not always) the minority in terms of number, in a relatively small class where everyone eventually ends up knowing everyone else, to some extent. It's a unique dynamic.

Has this happened to you? Have you observed this? (Happened to me today on the main forum). How do you deal with this? Do you even care? Please share and let's discuss.

I can relate to this. I am currently the president of my student body at my university. My board is mostly non-minority, consisting of representatives from all our schools and colleges and also 12 members at large. I am an assertive woman. However, some people tend to mistake this as being "bitchy," "aggressive" (I love that one) or mean. I just shrug it off at the end of the day because I realize that you do not have to like me, but you WILL RESPECT ME. And they and the rest of the student body does. That is what matters the most. I hope that helps. I guess I would have to know the situation(s) that would cause them to give you that label.

I've been given that label as well. I guess if your anything but submissive you are militant. To each their own I suppose. In med school you have to be assertive or you won't get anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I can definitely relate to the whole angry black person thing. I think that it is mostly a cultural difference. I think that blacks tend to be raised to be more outspoken vs our caucasian counterparts, however... I did read the posts that you previously referred to and i don't think the "angry black person phenomenon" applies here at all. No one appears to realize that your black nor did anyone make any references to your race whatsoever. If you've been a lurker then you know that SDN has a plethora of strong personalities and usually where there are strong personalities some clashing of said personalities will take place. jmho. take care :)

I'm pretty much just an angry person who happens to be black. :)

I can relate to this. I am currently the president of my student body at my university. My board is mostly non-minority, consisting of representatives from all our schools and colleges and also 12 members at large. I am an assertive woman. However, some people tend to mistake this as being "bitchy," "aggressive" (I love that one) or mean. I just shrug it off at the end of the day because I realize that you do not have to like me, but you WILL RESPECT ME. And they and the rest of the student body does. That is what matters the most. I hope that helps. I guess I would have to know the situation(s) that would cause them to give you that label.

fyi if a lot of people view you as "bitchy" or "mean" they probably dont respect you.

I did read the posts that you previously referred to and i don't think the "angry black person phenomenon" applies here at all. No one appears to realize that your black nor did anyone make any references to your race whatsoever.

I agree with the above post. I think talking about your experiences in a matter-of-factly way will only demonstrate to others that you are angry( or more appropriately stuck up). Students who are already rotating, and feeling entitled to be spoon fed had nothing to do with your life experiences or drive-by shootings. It's always safer to be nice to people, because you do not know who you are going to need help from in the future.
Sorry you cannot get to see your husband so often, ( I know it sucks!!!) but its only 6 months. You have to understand that the other students answering you on SDN also have thier problems to deal with, and the most active forum is the pre-allo.

Btw, no one knew you were black until you said so.
From the posts and responses, they probably assumed you thought you could have it all.

Good luck with everything, but be less aggressive. It still EARNS respect.
:hardy:

I have a lot of stuff in common with most of the students in my classes (I'm a graduating senior). I have never felt anything like an "us" versus "them" type of mentality. At the same time, I don't generally allow people to treat me with disrespect. Some people will label me as "angry", "bitchy", "arrogant" and a few other things that are not polite but I don't really care. If I disagree with something that you say, I don't have a problem pointing out the flaws in your arguement. I try to be polite and professional (my Mom raised me well) but I do believe that many times people will just try to label the AA person as angry because they are just plain intimidated.

I've had students of other races tell me they were intimidated by me when they met me especially in an academic setting. Let's say we're working on a group project or something, I always step up and pretty much make sure we get the job done on time. But I've never been labeled as an angry black person. They can tell I don't let people walk over me and I am very assertive when it comes to school. But when it comes to hanging out or extra-curriculars I've the opposite- very laid back. Some ppl were shocked by this contrast. I think everything needs to be in balance.

I've had students of other races tell me they were intimidated by me when they met me especially in an academic setting. Let's say we're working on a group project or something, I always step up and pretty much make sure we get the job done on time. But I've never been labeled as an angry black person. They can tell I don't let people walk over me and I am very assertive when it comes to school. But when it comes to hanging out or extra-curriculars I've the opposite- very laid back. Some ppl were shocked by this contrast. I think everything needs to be in balance.

Yes. Balance is paramount.

fyi if a lot of people view you as "bitchy" or "mean" they probably dont respect you.
Ha. I'm sorry but this really made me chuckle. :)

Everyone has their stereotypes for other races. We have ours for white people, they have theirs for us.There are stereotypes for angry hispanics, indians, asians, etc. These will never go away, so I just live my life, trying to be nice to everyone, but not standing down when something is obviously unfair or wrong.

Ha. I'm sorry but this really made me chuckle. :)

Everyone has their stereotypes for other races. We have ours for white people, they have theirs for us.There are stereotypes for angry hispanics, indians, asians, etc. These will never go away, so I just live my life, trying to be nice to everyone, but not standing down when something is obviously unfair or wrong.

My comment didn't take race into account, it is usually true for everyone. Like u said, there are definitely instances where you have to stand up for yourself but if you find that people are constantly interpreting your actions as being mean/ bitchy then you might have to reevaluated how you handle things.

While working at a major university, I heard this same discussion from some black medical students. Sad enough, after having worked in the research/medical field for some years now, I find the discussion cyclical/endless. I've not had this issue personally but I also don't spend any time wondering about it either. I focus on being open to have discussions with all persons on any topic, especially for those who which to understand "black culture". We're a passionate people. Our personalities/expression are reflected around the world.

Hmmmmm,

I guess I fit the mold of an angry whitie,
I've had complaints against me that I was "over the top"
and so on.

Then I was exposed to this, " You make your own luck"

Life is sweet now,

in gratitude,
foil

If you have ever been in a leadership position, people will always say negative things about you, even if you are the kindest person. You took my comments out of context when I said that when you have an assertive and well-spoken black woman in a position of leadership, people tend to label you as "bitchy" or "mean." This thread is about stereotypes and women, especially black women, have always been the pit of sterotypes. This is seen in the media, the workplace, and all around. If you are not a woman, I don't think that you can really grasp the focal point of what I am saying.

Give a man, especially a white counterpart, (I'm not saying all are like this) a directive, or a poor performance evaluation, you will definitely get some sort of negative label from him if he is not aware and content with his manhood and also respects the position of others.

If you have ever been in a leadership position, people will always say negative things about you, even if you are the kindest person. You took my comments out of context when I said that when you have an assertive and well-spoken black woman in a position of leadership, people tend to label you as "bitchy" or "mean." This thread is about stereotypes and women, especially black women, have always been the pit of sterotypes. This is seen in the media, the workplace, and all around. If you are not a woman, I don't think that you can really grasp the focal point of what I am saying.

Give a man, especially a white counterpart, (I'm not saying all are like this) a directive, or a poor performance evaluation, you will definitely get some sort of negative label from him if he is not aware and content with his manhood and also respects the position of others.

I think that it all comes down to people relations. I think that you should care what people think of you. Your reputation will always precede you. If a poll was taken among your classmates, you should have a good idea of what they will say about you and if most of it its negative, trust me, it's not them. It's you.

People will not always like every thing you do or every decision you make. But generally, they should have a good opinion of you regardless of their race or yours. You don't want to be the medical student in the team that all the attendings like but your colleagues loath. It might come back to bite you in the you know where. maybe not now, but certainly, later.

You should aim for superiors, subordianates, and colleagues to all like, respect, and more importantly, trust you. Such skills will take you the furthest in life IMHO.

PS. I aggree. If anybody thinks you are bitchy or arrogant, they don't repect you even if you think they do.

I think that it all comes down to people relations. I think that you should care what people think of you. Your reputation will always precede you. If a poll was taken among your classmates, you should have a good idea of what they will say about you and if most of it its negative, trust me, it's not them. It's you.

People will not always like every thing you do or every decision you make. But generally, they should have a good opinion of you regardless of their race or yours. You don't want to be the medical student in the team that all the attendings like but your colleagues loath. It might come back to bite you in the you know where. maybe not now, but certainly, later.

You should aim for superiors, subordianates, and colleagues to all like, respect, and more importantly, trust you. Such skills will take you the furthest in life IMHO.

PS. I aggree. If anybody thinks you are bitchy or arrogant, they don't repect you even if you think they do.

I don't think that you have ever been in high management/leadership position to say that.

I don't think that you have ever been in high management/leadership position to say that.

management and leadership has been my life. I am in several right now in medical school. I have a different approach and it has worked for me.

don't get me wrong. I am not saying you will not have conflict or make people angry. That has happened several times. My point is that if you have the "I don't care what people think attitude," the conflict persists. If you actually care and take time to resolve the conflict the right way, the person might still not like the decision but the will hold you in positive regard.

don't get me wrong. I am not saying you will not have conflict or make people angry. That has happened several times. My point is that if you have the "I don't care what people think attitude," the conflict persists. If you actually care and take time to resolve the conflict the right way, the person might still not like the decision but the will hold you in positive regard.

Very well said. That was the exact feeling I was trying to convey. Just like to said, no matter what you do, some still may be unhappy with the outcome but still respect you. I digress. :)

Need clarification, you mean such "stand up" phrases as "Kill Whitey"? or what?:laugh:

It's just an easy jab, and shows a lack of good reasoning by the people who say such things. And if one's already prejudiced (in some kind of way), then it will be probably tiresome to go in a discussion with such a person; if they didn't think of valid arguments while saying such things, why would they suddenly take it back in a discussion? (if they're (young) adults)

Some people just don't think things through. If you just stick to your argumentation, all will go well most of the times (assuming your comment/opinion is valid of course). Intelligence is your best defense against stupidity.