Anesthesiology VSAS 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21Rush12

19h 58m 21.67595s; +35° 12′ 05.7783″
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I was browsing looking for some VSAS information and found a thread like this from the previous cycle. I thought now would be a good time to get a new one started as programs are opening and apps are sent out. I'm hoping this can be a place for people to post their accept/reject/stats especially with the increasing competition for some of the desirable locations and also to share any valuable experiences or tips for others dealing with this process.

RUSH on!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll chime to help the next generation of applicants. I applied to roughly 40 programs and I got roughly 3-4 invites for anesthesia away programs. My school did not have an anesthesia residency so I was forced to go out and get a letter from another program. I would advise those who might be in my shoes, to do an audition EARLY so that you have a letter ready to go for when ERAS opens. It's a crapshoot, and I think the earlier you apply, the better your odds are (vs Step scores or better applicants). Additionally, I will add that you should only apply to places that offer residencies. Also, aways are expensive. Manage your money accordingly.

I'll chime to help the next generation of applicants. I applied to roughly 40 programs and I got roughly 3-4 invites for anesthesia away programs. My school did not have an anesthesia residency so I was forced to go out and get a letter from another program. I would advise those who might be in my shoes, to do an audition EARLY so that you have a letter ready to go for when ERAS opens. It's a crapshoot, and I think the earlier you apply, the better your odds are (vs Step scores or better applicants). Additionally, I will add that you should only apply to places that offer residencies. Also, aways are expensive. Manage your money accordingly.

Wow, 40 programs?! That’s a huge amount, what was your reasoning for so many? I was advised to pick two in my region of preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, 40 programs?! That’s a huge amount, what was your reasoning for so many? I was advised to pick two in my region of preference.

Like I said, my program did t haven an anesthesia residency so I had to apply out and get a letter, which meant I had to be aggressive getting a rotation. Most importantly I had to get one early and since most programs fill up spots with their own students interested in gas, made it that more difficult. Additionally some programs only offer 1-2 students per rotation. If your program has a gas residency or if you have a 240 Step you’re probably fine. Some people just need to be more aggressive. My application was dependent on trying to get a July/August rotation for a LOR, so I was more aggressive. I only got 1 offer for a program early enough to get a rotation and a subsequent LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said, my program did t haven an anesthesia residency so I had to apply out and get a letter, which meant I had to be aggressive getting a rotation. Most importantly I had to get one early and since most programs fill up spots with their own students interested in gas, made it that more difficult. Additionally some programs only offer 1-2 students per rotation. If your program has a gas residency or if you have a 240 Step you’re probably fine. Some people just need to be more aggressive. My application was dependent on trying to get a July/August rotation for a LOR, so I was more aggressive. I only got 1 offer for a program early enough to get a rotation and a subsequent LOR.

Oh wow, thank you for the insight. That sounds like it was tough. Glad to hear you scored a spot in time!

Have you matched already? Did the rotation help you interview at that program?

ya 40 applications for an away? sounds expensive :/

I did this awhile back, but I applied to 6 and got offers from 4, but the main issue was the dates of the rotation offered were often different from what I applied for. I also found that one or two places in NYC that I applied to seemed unaware of my application until I called them, and after this things moved almost immediately.

What is considered applying early? I have read that some institutions collect applications and then submiit to the residency department in May for-instance. So is it whoever is "top of the pile" gets an elective? Or are there other criteria like board scores and grades?

What is considered applying early? I have read that some institutions collect applications and then submiit to the residency department in May for-instance. So is it whoever is "top of the pile" gets an elective? Or are there other criteria like board scores and grades?

There are places who do both. Competitive places will ask for Step 1, statement of intent, and other things to select applicants on a rolling basis. Others just take the first look at them in May and may choose to be selective or first come first served at that point.

For those who have received elective rotations either through VSAS or outside the VSAS system, can you share when you applied and when you were notified? This way the rest of us who are still waiting can get some perspective on the situation. Thanks!

UCLA took a few weeks, Cedars-Sinai doesn’t release decisions until 4/30 earliest. USC still waiting also.

All apps were in early March

Keep in mind some haven’t opened yet. Indiana U for example doesn’t open till May.
It would kind of be cool to start a google doc with dates of acceptances and where but I think our anonymity would be busted. Probably not worth the risk. But one of my aways I got within an hour of the program receiving my application. Silence from the rest so far

Keep in mind some haven’t opened yet. Indiana U for example doesn’t open till May.
It would kind of be cool to start a google doc with dates of acceptances and where but I think our anonymity would be busted. Probably not worth the risk. But one of my aways I got within an hour of the program receiving my application. Silence from the rest so far
Couldn't you just not put your screen name next to it and mark it ("X" in a box) as accepted? You should be anonymous on google docs, even if someone sees you edit it

Members don't see this ad :)
I only heard back from Medical College of Georgia and Rowan so far.

Also arranged some rotations through HCA (including a July rotation at my #1!!! super excited) but it seems like they extended all of their offers months before VSAS even fully opened.... Which it still isn't even!

I only heard back from Medical College of Georgia and Rowan so far.

Also arranged some rotations through HCA (including a July rotation at my #1!!! super excited) but it seems like they extended all of their offers months before VSAS even fully opened.... Which it still isn't even!

Rowan Osteopathic? I don't think thay have a anesthesia residency program

Has anyone heard from Stanford yet about away rotations? I've tried to contact them but haven't been able to get in touch with anyone. Thanks!

Are most people still waiting to hear back regarding their applications for elective rotations? Do the programs get back to you with an acceptance or a rejection, or is silence to be interpreted as a rejection?

Are most people still waiting to hear back regarding their applications for elective rotations? Do the programs get back to you with an acceptance or a rejection, or is silence to be interpreted as a rejection?
I'm waiting to hear back from programs that list 5/1 as the date which students begin to hear back. Have otherwise heard back with acceptance or rejection from all aways that have earlier listed dates.

I am waiting to hear back from 22 out of 24 programs that I've applied to so far. I'm assuming no response = rejection

I am waiting to hear back from 22 out of 24 programs that I've applied to so far. I'm assuming no response = rejection
When did you apply to most of your programs?Also, does anyone know if you get an official rejection from the programs if they are not interested in your application? Otherwise how do you know at what point to stop waiting for a positive response?

When did you apply to most of your programs?Also, does anyone know if you get an official rejection from the programs if they are not interested in your application? Otherwise how do you know at what point to stop waiting for a positive response?
I've gotten official rejections from a few but like others am still waiting on most of my applications.

So I've heard from my top school... Right smack in the middle between Thanksgiving and Christmas... For the people who interviewed last year and not on vacation, any thoughts on doing an away in peak interview season? Will I hurt my chances at other places by just not being available for interviews?

Thanks

So I've heard from my top school... Right smack in the middle between Thanksgiving and Christmas... For the people who interviewed last year and not on vacation, any thoughts on doing an away in peak interview season? Will I hurt my chances at other places by just not being available for interviews?

Thanks

I didn’t interview yet but I was advised strongly not to do this as it’s seen as bad form to leave an away for interviews at other places.

Thanks
Book your interviews in October, November and January and keep the audition at your number 1.

IMO, missing a couple days during a rotation to interview is not that big of a deal. Programs understand the match process and the demands required on applicants. If you have to schedule interviews at places that you would seriously consider ranking in the top half of your match list during the rotation, try and shoot for some time during the middle of the rotation. By that point, the program director, attendings and residents have their opinion of you and won't hold going on an interview against you. You may also come to find that your dream #1 is actually not the place you'd like to train.

You (should) only (want to) go through the match process once. Do whatever you can to give yourself the best chance to match at the places you want to train and live in for the next few years.

**These are just my opinions, and I believe there are no steadfast rules to this game

Personally I applied to 2 and got the 2. Friends I know applying more broadly are all waiting on at least one or two.
Anyone still waiting on responses for August elective rotation slots?

Anyone still waiting on responses for August elective rotation slots?
Heard from some of my august programs and none of my september ones. I've talked to a few that said they don't fill spots until 6 weeks out.

Heard from some of my august programs and none of my september ones. I've talked to a few that said they don't fill spots until 6 weeks out.

sucks cause if you really want that spot, you may have to cancel on an already accepted spot at another place which people say is a big no-no

sucks cause if you really want that spot, you may have to cancel on an already accepted spot at another place which people say is a big no-no
I heard from one of my top choices after I had already accepted another random elective and ended up cancelling. I've heard a lot of mixed things about how bad it is....I guess I'll find out....

Is anyone sending emails to programs they are specifically interested in? How should I go about wording this?

Got an audition at my top slot for end of sept/oct but have not heard anything about my august rotations. Starting to loose hope and probably won't be able to get a PD LOR before apps go out.

Got an audition at my top slot for end of sept/oct but have not heard anything about my august rotations. Starting to loose hope and probably won't be able to get a PD LOR before apps go out.
I have the same situation. Additionally, I have subpar COMLEX and Step 1 scores. My only away rotation is in September. How much of a disadvantage is not having a letter until probably October best case scenario?

Hey guys.

Looking for advice. I'm a DO at a new school with the following stats

Step 1: 240
COMLEX 1: 650+
Few posters

How many residency programs should I apply to this Sept? I dont have a home program.

Anybody still waiting to hear on elective rotations for August? Should I stop waiting?

Anybody still waiting to hear on elective rotations for August? Should I stop waiting?

Plenty of places don’t notify until a certain number of days before rotation. I’d reach out to specific programs at this point, you have nothing to lose.

Is it too late to apply to more programs for an August anesthesia elective rotation?

Is it too late to apply to more programs for an August anesthesia elective rotation?

Perhaps email some directly and see if they’re still accepting applications for August? I know people get things last minute sometimes.

Perhaps email some directly and see if they’re still accepting applications for August? I know people get things last minute sometimes.
Anyone in the same boat, still waiting to hear back for August rotation slots? At what point do I just say" the ship has sailed"?

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University and Rowan SOM are not the same thing FYI. Two completely different schools.

FWIW, Rowan SOM has no affiliation with Cooper Hospital or the residency programs there. That would be CMSRU
Yes you are right, I apologize I apparently did not read the post I was replying to very carefully. As this is a VSAS thread I assumed Rowan U's MD program.
Do osteopathic schools participate in VSAS? I wasn't aware if so

Is it too late to hear from programs for August?

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University and Rowan SOM are not the same thing FYI. Two completely different schools.

FWIW, Rowan SOM has no affiliation with Cooper Hospital or the residency programs there. That would be CMSRU
The place I heard from was Cooper and apparently they don't start reviewing apps till 6-8 weeks before the rotation, so August is supposedly still wide open. I think Buffalo does something similar. Still holding out hope for either of those for September, otherwise I guess I'll do 2 weeks of *shudders* pain clinic.