Anesthesiology CCM Fellowship 2021-22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, that's par for the course. On the day that the match process starts, you can log in, upload all of your files, and submit to programs, if you have everything ready. That's why preparation is key.

So other then “as soon as possible” when’s a realistic date to shoot for in terms of submitting?

Members don't see this ad.

No, that's par for the course. On the day that the match process starts, you can log in, upload all of your files, and submit to programs, if you have everything ready. That's why preparation is key.

Just so I know when the application opens, are you expected to upload every test result? Like AKT/ITE-0? And if I understand correctly you can just upload the PDFs that your program has and that there’s no “official” transcript like USMLE?

Just so I know when the application opens, are you expected to upload every test result? Like AKT/ITE-0? And if I understand correctly you can just upload the PDFs that your program has and that there’s no “official” transcript like USMLE?
Years ago, I uploaded three files for exam scores. One contained all of my COMLEX, one all my ITEs, and one all my AKTs. If they have questions about your exams or sources, they will ask. I think only one or two requested official transcripts direct from NBOME, the rest accepted the unofficial pdf that I had on my computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So other then “as soon as possible” when’s a realistic date to shoot for in terms of submitting?
The opening date is a realistic date for which to shoot. Presumably you've known about your desire to apply for a while, so should already have your packet ready to upload once it's open and you're home. If you're still waiting for something (like one letter writer dragging feet), then holding off until later in the month like Thanksgiving, would probably still be ok. As I mentioned, some programs do rolling interview invites, others wait until some time in December to start sending out batches of invites.

The opening date is a realistic date for which to shoot. Presumably you've known about your desire to apply for a while, so should already have your packet ready to upload once it's open and you're home. If you're still waiting for something (like one letter writer dragging feet), then holding off until later in the month like Thanksgiving, would probably still be ok. As I mentioned, some programs do rolling interview invites, others wait until some time in December to start sending out batches of invites.

Thanks so much for your advice and help

For EM applicants who obviously do not have anesthesia ITEs, are you just filling in your EM ITEs for that section? If not, how are you reporting those scores? Also, if your program has made you take the ACGME and AOA ITEs in the past, which scores do you report?

How is everyone's application coming along? Still waiting on 2 letters ugh

For EM applicants who obviously do not have anesthesia ITEs, are you just filling in your EM ITEs for that section? If not, how are you reporting those scores? Also, if your program has made you take the ACGME and AOA ITEs in the past, which scores do you report?

I don't even think there's a section to list ITE scores in the SF match even for anesthesia residents? According to some programs websites you just email them the scores. Let me know what you find out because I'm interested as well.

I don't even think there's a section to list ITE scores in the SF match even for anesthesia residents? According to some programs websites you just email them the scores. Let me know what you find out because I'm interested as well.
There is a section to upload

Attachments

• SF match ITE page.png
    SF match ITE page.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here from Vanderbilt or any of the Boston programs?

I didn't apply to Boston programs but have heard back for an interview from everyone except Columbia, Vandy or Duke.

Anyone here from Vanderbilt or any of the Boston programs?
The coordinator from Beth Israel emailed me last week asking for my AAMC ID, but haven't heard anything since. I've gotten interview offers or rejection emails from 11/21 places I applied so far.

Just got a rejection letter yesterday, so I guess programs are still working through their applicant lists.

We're only a couple months away from rank list submission time... how the heck are you guys comparing these programs? Seems like most of the programs beyond a certain point have more sick patients than you can shake a stick at, good POCUS exposure, humane hours, reasonable autonomy, generally nice interviewers, generally happy fellows.

Some variation in some things like getting to do TEEs maybe. But with this virtual interview season I'm struggling to figure out the best fit for me. Don't have the benefit of the gut check like we did for residency interviews.

How are you guys approaching this? Outside factors like the city? Program specific things?

We're only a couple months away from rank list submission time... how the heck are you guys comparing these programs? Seems like most of the programs beyond a certain point have more sick patients than you can shake a stick at, good POCUS exposure, humane hours, reasonable autonomy, generally nice interviewers, generally happy fellows.

Some variation in some things like getting to do TEEs maybe. But with this virtual interview season I'm struggling to figure out the best fit for me. Don't have the benefit of the gut check like we did for residency interviews.

How are you guys approaching this? Outside factors like the city? Program specific things?
It has been challenging, which I suppose is a good thing since it means that falling further down my rank list would not matter as much as it would have for residency. Geography and opportunities to keep up my EM skillset are my main factors.

I’m just lurking from EM - what are considered humane hours for a anesthesia CCM program? One year or 2 year track?

Good luck in the match!

I’m just lurking from EM - what are considered humane hours for a anesthesia CCM program? One year or 2 year track?

Good luck in the match!
Depends on where you go. Where I was it was 40-45 hours a week and no nights. There were some weaknesses especially with the cardiac ICU part, the lecture part, but overall, I thought it was fine. You get what you put in. I crashed the pulmonary fellow lectures all the time.

A lot of places seem to have M-F schedules, show up for rounds in the morning and then dip out before evening sign out unless things are crazy. The only exception was UCincinnati, where they were pretty straightforward about their 75+ hour work weeks.

Current CA1 who just got his ITE score back and was wildly disappointed. How important are ITE scores for anesthesia critical care?

Current CA1 who just got his ITE score back and was wildly disappointed. How important are ITE scores for anesthesia critical care?
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. However you’ll be glad to hear CCM anesthesia is pretty wide open to just get into any fellowship. I’m sure higher up places are more competitive but it still isn’t pain or cardiac competitive. I don’t have any numbers for certain programs though. Your CA2 ITE will be in before the application as well if you want a boost.

For those of us who are EM or otherwise applying for 2 year programs, how much should I read into an email from a program asking if I would be willing to be considered for a match exception offer?

For those of us who are EM or otherwise applying for 2 year programs, how much should I read into an email from a program asking if I would be willing to be considered for a match exception offer?

It has become fairly routine for competitive EM applicants to anesthesia-CCM programs to be offered match exceptions. Programs are allowed to offer these exceptions for EM applicants because they will be staying for more than 1 year. This particular exception was designed for anesthesiologists who plan to stay at an institution for additional training after CCM fellowship such as a cardiac anesthesia fellowship, but programs have been using it to their advantage to scoop up the more competitive EM applicants. This practice is to the applicant’s disadvantage and obviates the protections of a match because these exception offers are often “exploding“- meaning you have to decide within a time frame which may not allow you to hear back from other programs.

I cannot say that every EM candidate matches into an anesthesia CCM spot with a match exception. What I can say is that my program exclusively fills its EM spot this way, and acquaintances that I made who filled EM spots at places like Colorado, Emory, and WashU also did it with exceptions. While CCM spots are not especially competitive for anesthesiologists, that is decidedly not the case for EM applicants who are competing for a much smaller pool of 2-year spots. All of those fellowship vacancies are 1 year spots that are not funded for a 2-year EM applicant. So, be very careful if you are going to turn down a match exception because you may find yourself out of a seat in this game of musical chairs.

Go to the SOCCA website to read up on the rules for match exception. If/when you accept an exception, your name and program will be published on a list like this so that other programs know not to rank you: SOCCA Match Exceptions - The Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists

Last edited:
It has become fairly routine for competitive EM applicants to anesthesia-CCM programs to be offered match exceptions. Programs are allowed to offer these exceptions for EM applicants because they will be staying for more than 1 year. This particular exception was designed for anesthesiologists who plan to stay at an institution for additional training after CCM fellowship such as a cardiac anesthesia fellowship, but programs have been using it to their advantage to scoop up the more competitive EM applicants. This practice is to the applicant’s disadvantage and obviates the protections of a match because these exception offers are often “exploding“- meaning you have to decide within a time frame which may not allow you to hear back from other programs.

I cannot say that every EM candidate matches into an anesthesia CCM spot with a match exception. What I can say is that my program exclusively fills its EM spot this way, and acquaintances that I made who filled EM spots at places like Colorado, Emory, and WashU also did it with exceptions. While CCM spots are not especially competitive for anesthesiologists, that is decidedly not the case for EM applicants who are competing for a much smaller pool of 2-year spots. All of those fellowship vacancies are 1 year spots that are not funded for a 2-year EM applicant. So, be very careful if you are going to turn down a match exception because you may find yourself out of a seat in this game of musical chairs.

Go to the SOCCA website to read up on the rules for match exception. If/when you accept an exception, your name and program will be published on a list like this so that other programs know not to rank you: SOCCA Match Exceptions - The Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists
I second what shock index says. As EM, pretty much plan on finding a seat through the match exception pathway, if you want to get an Anesthesia CC spot. I went through this last year, and I recall programs *not* being able to offer seats until sometime in April. In prior years programs could send offers very early and I believe it was decided this wasn't allowing applicants enough time to adequately interview and consider programs. I hadn't heard of this pre-offer interest letter situation, seems like it might put you in a tough spot...

My understanding is that today is the day programs are allowed to start offering match exceptions to EM applicants or other exception eligible candidates- has anyone actually heard from any programs/taken an offer?

This site is all kinds of weird. My previous post is being edited so that the word “peeps” keeps being used. I don’t speak hipster. Moreover, I can’t edit it as the change is not reflected in the edit tab. This is not the first time that someone or some quirks with the site has hard edited my words without notification. I don’t like public forums changing my words - the last thing I need is some BS being attributed to me that I didn’t write. This is another reason why I largely stopped participating in this forum.

• Haha
This site is all kinds of weird. My previous post was for some reason changed so that the word “Peeps” was replaced with “peeps.” I don’t speak hipster. Moreover, I can’t edit it as the change is not reflected in the edit tab. This is not the first time that someone or some quirks with the site has hard edited my words without notification. I don’t like public forums changing my words - the last thing I need is some BS being attributed to me that I didn’t write. This is another reason why I largely stopped participating in this forum.

Dude it’s for Apr1l f00ls

Reactions: 1 users
My understanding is that today is the day programs are allowed to start offering match exceptions to EM applicants or other exception eligible candidates- has anyone actually heard from any programs/taken an offer?
A couple people here got emails from a program indicating that they intend to fill some slots with out of match offers, although I don't know if that program has actually made any such offers. I did get an out of match offer from a different program, which I don't plan on accepting due to their work hour expectation.

Anyone with any final insights in the last week before rank lists are due?

Now that the match has happened, any stories from the interview trail that future applicants might benefit from? All I really had to contribute was the oddity of UCincinnati being such an outlier in terms of duty hours.

Seems like it was more competitive this year based on the unfilled programs

Anybody still following this thread know about the timeline for paperwork? After the match I got a congratulations email from the PD and a promise of more communication closer to 2022.