Anesthesiology and Social Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadSpace

I don't need no stinkin perfusion.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is noticing anesthesiologists/residents don't have a voice or place on social media? Maybe I'm just missing it but where are all of our well-spoken attractive people at? You're supposed to be creating an Instagram or Youtube (forget FB) so the layperson can see our abilities, skills, and knowledge. The AANA is busy making us all seem useless or even worse, letting the public think we're all CRNAs.

I was just searching Youtube and came across some obnoxious videos, don't search the term SRNA on there. It'll get your blood pressure up.

Point being, which of you are hot blondes with straight teeth, start making some videos!

Don't ask me to do it. Brown hair, brown eyes, slightly overweight. Mom says I have a great personality though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Every morning on npr I hear an ad from our state’s aana chapter

Members don't see this ad :)
Z Dogg MD is getting a lot of attention and seems to be creating a positive platform for himself. Can't we get an anesthesia version of him?

Reactions: 1 user
If I match, you bet your ass I'ma hop on IG and YouTube.

I'll bash those damn SRNAs and CRNAs in a polite manner every chance I get.

Z dogg is a midlevel loving sellout

BTW his unique practice he tried setting up in downtown Las Vegas failed.

Dude shouldn't have left his Kaiser job and kept the $$$ and continued his TED talks.

Altruism ain't profitable.

Am I the only one who is noticing anesthesiologists/residents don't have a voice or place on social media? Maybe I'm just missing it but where are all of our well-spoken attractive people at? You're supposed to be creating an Instagram or Youtube (forget FB) so the layperson can see our abilities, skills, and knowledge. The AANA is busy making us all seem useless or even worse, letting the public think we're all CRNAs.

I was just searching Youtube and came across some obnoxious videos, don't search the term SRNA on there. It'll get your blood pressure up.

Point being, which of you are hot blondes with straight teeth, start making some videos!

Don't ask me to do it. Brown hair, brown eyes, slightly overweight. Mom says I have a great personality though.

I'll be your Huckleberry.... :)

Reactions: 1 users
Very nice Flightnurse2MD! I looked over your channel a bit. The irony in it is the fact that you were in CRNA school first so just the very fact of your story also gives PR to the CRNA field. You seemed to have a lot of nurse followers and commenters as well, not exactly the focus group I was aiming for.

Is there anybody who is in practice like residency or an attending who can showcase our lives and skills? Having med school hopefuls putting out videos are great but that's just a start, we need people in practice showing excellence.

We've got these SRNAs out there discussing independent practice, their new doctorates, performing PNBs, etc. We need some of us out there making it known we are still the better option! Of course, we could continue on this path of apathy, hanging out in preop overhearing the staff whisper the CRNAs don't need us to practice.

Reactions: 1 users
“RishiMd” on instagram fits what you are looking for.

Very ni
ce Flightnurse2MD! I looked over your channel a bit. The irony in it is the fact that you were in CRNA school first so just the very fact of your story also gives PR to the CRNA field. You seemed to have a lot of nurse followers and commenters as well, not exactly the focus group I was aiming for.

Is there anybody who is in practice like residency or an attending who can showcase our lives and skills? Having med school hopefuls putting out videos are great but that's just a start, we need people in practice showing excellence.

We've got these SRNAs out there discussing independent practice, their new doctorates, performing PNBs, etc. We need some of us out there making it known we are still the better option! Of course, we could continue on this path of apathy, hanging out in preop overhearing the staff whisper the CRNAs don't need us to practice.

Time to start passing out flyers on the street informing patients of what anesthesiologists do and that we are doctors too!

Recently saw some posters on facebook from NYSSA[?] comparing anesthesiologists vs CRNA. Seems like they are trying to spread the word. The issue is the only people who even see those are probably anesthesiologists

Members don't see this ad :)
There are literally 20 year olds on YouTube reviewing cell phones making millions. We're in the wrong field

Reactions: 3 users
Ah, I thought I warned you BLADEMDA not to search SRNA on youtube. I need more metoprolol. Throw in a Xanax for good measure.

Watch 13:15-15:30. That's all you need to see.

I love how a lot of these folks make it seem as though it was a foregone conclusion that they could have gotten into medical school.

Reactions: 2 users

Watch 13:15-15:30. That's all you need to see.

"If you wanted to be a physician anesthesiologist you would need to start all over and apply to med school then do a 4-year residency. I know of one SRNA who failed CRNA school so they went to medical school with the goal in mind to do a residency in anesthesia. Your academic ability and stamina is definitely something to consider when applying to either path. In CRNA school there aren't second chances and you must make A's or B's, first C is immediate removal from the program. In Med School, you can make C's all day and still graduate with nobody being the wiser when you're in practice."

Lolololol.

"If you wanted to be a physician anesthesiologist you would need to start all over and apply to med school then do a 4-year residency. I know of one SRNA who failed CRNA school so they went to medical school with the goal in mind to do a residency in anesthesia. Your academic ability and stamina is definitely something to consider when applying to either path. In CRNA school there aren't second chances and you must make A's or B's, first C is immediate removal from the program. In Med School, you can make C's all day and still graduate with nobody being the wiser when you're in practice."

Lolololol.

Lolllllll

Lolololol.

I can't even...

All these DO programs popping up and these island medical schools taking everybody with a pulse aren't helping our case. Went to undergrad with a guy who was at best a mediocre student. He got denied from every med school he applied to, so he applied to Ross University in the Caribbean and got right in. His loans are really high but now he's in residency back in the states.

Lolololol.

That statement only pertains to HIS program. There are many where you are allowed 1 "C" grade and can graduate. There are others which allow you to repeat a year or repeat a few classes. His statement is misleading at best and likely false as a general rule.

Very nice Flightnurse2MD! I looked over your channel a bit. The irony in it is the fact that you were in CRNA school first so just the very fact of your story also gives PR to the CRNA field. You seemed to have a lot of nurse followers and commenters as well, not exactly the focus group I was aiming for.

I’m just a lowly nurse turned 4th yr medical student so I give most of my testimony from those experiences. But you can bet your sweet ass, I’m gonna turn the dial up to RAGE when I’m a resident this July 1st. :)

I’m just a lowly nurse turned 4th yr medical student so I give most of my testimony from those experiences. But you can bet your sweet ass, I’m gonna turn the dial up to RAGE when I’m a resident this July 1st. :)

I'd like to see you remain calm and polite. These Videos can go viral pretty quickly. (e.g., Jason Bolt SRNA)

Lolololol.

I was that SRNA he mentioned, but he got all his facts wrong. To be honest, I repeated a block because of a C, but then later withdrew after I got a taste of the luke-warm training I was paying for. Long road for sure, but no regrets.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah, I thought I warned you BLADEMDA not to search SRNA on youtube. I need more metoprolol. Throw in a Xanax for good measure.

This kid’s channel was a big reason why I made mine. His empty rhetoric was going unchallenged and he started to block my comments after awhile.

Last edited:
I love how a lot of these folks make it seem as though it was a foregone conclusion that they could have gotten into medical school.

No truer words have ever been spoken. Can’t tell you the anxiety over each step wondering if I would ever be admitted. There are no chip shots at applying.

Table3.jpg

I'm a small time Youtuber with 600+ episodes under my belt.

Used to be in a gen surg residency but quit medicine altogether a number of years ago after an accident with spine fracture. Long story short, I plan to find a CA-1 position that opens up sometime this summer if not match into a physician (R) spot for 2019.

Currently the channel is about parenting & familycraft, but I'll eventually have to start a second channel that's focused on career. The anesthesiology channel probably won't be a MD vs CRNA content but more about things I find interesting about anesthesiology itself. Talk about weird little facts I learn about pharmacology or an interesting experiences that medical students would find interesting but would not have the opportunities to become exposed to. And what it's like to be working as an anesthesiology resident and eventually attending.

But first gotta find me a residency spot.

https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/mcatguide.pdf

Mr. Bolt SRNA would have most likely been rejected from all Allopathic U.S. Med Schools (that's my guess after watching him online)

Totally would have failed at interviewing with that smug demeanor of his. I find it hilarious when he mentioned one of his reasons for opting out of medical school was because physicians’ lounges aren’t what they used to be back in the day. Ummm, seriously? There’s a hospital in Wichita that has their own chef in the mornings- blueberry pancakes for all!

Let’s just call this what it is......
Men like this guy and the rest of the CRNA blowhards are upset because they’re nurses. They continue gathering pointless letters after their names in a futile attempt to fill the void left by the elusive 2 letters they will never have. And everyone in the hospital knows it. This displeases them.
This is what inferiority complex looks like. They know their place in the food chain, and they can’t deal. Thankful I didn’t work with a ton of these over the years, but there were certainly some.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Men like this guy and the rest of the CRNA blowhards are upset because they’re nurses. They continue gathering pointless letters after their names in a futile attempt to fill the void left by the elusive 2 letters they will never have. And everyone in the hospital knows it. This displeases them.
This is what inferiority complex looks like. They know their place in the food chain, and they can’t deal. Thankful I didn’t work with a ton of these over they years, but there were certainly some.

I'm sure there are some complexes in there. The problem I'm seeing is that these complexes don't seem to be slowing them down from trying to practice more medicine, taking our patients and direct billing insurances for their services. They are laughing all the way to the bank while the rest of us are thinking we got into medicine 30 years too late.

So back to the original point, who's going to start up a rad Youtube channel? Let the CRNAs have theirs, they obviously don't back down. I'm just saying we need one of our own to showcase our unique qualities and benefits.

I'm sure there are some complexes in there. The problem I'm seeing is that these complexes don't seem to be slowing them down from trying to practice more medicine, taking our patients and direct billing insurances for their services. They are laughing all the way to the bank while the rest of us are thinking we got into medicine 30 years too late.

So back to the original point, who's going to start up a rad Youtube channel? Let the CRNAs have theirs, they obviously don't back down. I'm just saying we need one of our own to showcase our unique qualities and benefits.
I’m not sure where you are located, but I’m not seeing them taking patients from anyone. There’s too much work and not enough anesthesiologists; or perhaps it’s simply a maldistribution of anesthesiologists.
I have been hearing this same stuff for decades, and I’m still doing fine. I choose not to work with CRNAs anymore. I’ve had enough of cleaning up their messes.

This is what inferiority complex looks like. They know their place in the food chain, and they can’t deal. Thankful I didn’t work with a ton of these over they years, but there were certainly some.

Dan Lovinaria, DNP, MBA, MS, CRNA, APRN

Talk about alphabet soup...

Honestly, do people really spend time surfing YouTube channels? I thought YouTube was for watching old Metallica videos and learning how to DIY fix your water boiler.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m about to take a position at work with a significant increase in vacation (but more in house call/weekends).

I may take a swing at something like this over the summer. Def not doing YouTube, but maybe ig.

Biggest drawback is I always see these types of folks on social media and just think they’re total dbags.

I may take a swing at something like this over the summer. Def not doing YouTube, but maybe ig.

Biggest drawback is I always see these types of folks on social media and just think they’re total dbags.

Keep us in the loop! My IG is your run-of-the-mill family (I have a 3 month old at home)/dog (pug) stuff, but I occasionally post doctors-stuff too.

I agree with you on the current selection on social media especially IG, they tend to be exceedingly naive and overly gracious (to an almost obnoxious degree) towards other related nurses/midlevels/dieticians/OT/etc... Then again maybe I'm super jaded and I should stick to the pug pictures.

I’m about to take a position at work with a significant increase in vacation (but more in house call/weekends).

Snap! I hope I don't come off like that! :/