Anesthesiologists/CRNAs sleeping during surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you ever noticed an anesthesiologist or CRNA nodding off?

• Never seen it.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • It's happened, but discipline ensued.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • We have our fair share of sleeping beauties.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • How naive can this guy get. Happens all the time.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

dry dre

All hat, no cattle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having seen the poll on patients waking during surgery, I was curious to see how commonly people have caught gas-passers with their eyes closed.

There are two CRNAs in my institution who are known to get a little sleepy from time to time. I frankly couldn't believe that such activity was a joking matter, but maybe it goes to show how much things are on auto-pilot (high priced) at the head of the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah aint anesthesia GRREEEAAATTT! I love it.

OP-
I didn't fill out the poll, and I'm not a doc (yet, or so I hope). But I went to observe one of our local neurosurgeons for 4 procedures (1 removal of a brain tumor, 3 Ant. cervical diskect). The gas man fell asleep once in each of the surgeries; I don't know if that shocked me more than him dropping the blade on the floor before picking it up and trying to use it ( a nurse stopped him) prior to an intubation, or when he'd let us all know that he'd completed reading the ENTIRE New York Times (finished it in procedure #3). So I guess I've seen it 4 times, but on one day only.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the floor in most OR's actually cleaner than a patient's mouth (at least at the beginning of the case)? Now an IV and other invasive procedures must be absolutely sterile...but a laryngoscope blade? I have intubated patients gurgling blood and vomiting in the ER so a blade on the floor hardly seems a big deal.

Twiki-
Good point. But as an "outsider", it was just a little unsettling to see...the bathroom has less bacteria than the kitchen sink, but we don't wash dishes in the toilet...

dc