Anesthesiologists (AMCs) Accuse UnitedHealthcare of Stifling Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status Sciaticus

Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on this? On one hand, UHC is dropping all these crap AMCs that are doing OON and surprise billing to boost their gross revenue. This is going to hurt the national AMCs causing them to lose contracts and private practices to swoop in. On the other hand, the smaller private practice groups will have less negotiating power to work out mutually beneficial rates since.... well its United.

Members don't see this ad.

This is about as accurate of a summary as the 60 Minutes piece on Publix distributing vaccines...

for clarification, I’m referring to the first post of this thread being misleading rather than the article or merits of the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is going to hurt the national AMCs causing them to lose contracts and private practices to swoop in. On the other hand, the smaller private practice groups will have less negotiating power to work out mutually beneficial rates since.... well its United.

as a private practice group in contract with United we would be happy to take their business. My concern is that United is simply swinging the axe at the most expensive contract they have. Eventually that same axe will be directed lower and lower and lower.

Short term it benefits private groups, long term the threat is the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surgeons have mentioned to me how disingenuous United has been in their contract negotiations.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgeons have mentioned to me how disingenuous United has been in their contract negotiations.

I am not into sharing personal stories about this but United is probably the worst insurer we ever negotiated with. And I don't even mean they just low ball you to get better rates. I don't recall particulars but I think it is one of our highest paying insurers. Their negotiations are basically a sham. I feel like they send individuals to negotiate on their behalf that aren't even authorized to make a deal but just to waste time.

I do not recall hearing a single story of anybody that has ever had a good time dealing with them, either patients or physicians.

as a private practice group in contract with United we would be happy to take their business. My concern is that United is simply swinging the axe at the most expensive contract they have. Eventually that same axe will be directed lower and lower and lower.

Short term it benefits private groups, long term the threat is the same.

We had a big contract dispute with the largest insurer in the state a few years ago. It got very ugly. And this is *exactly* what they were doing: going after the biggest contract they had to try to and cut down the market.

The proverbial axe missed that time, but I'm sure it will be swung again.

I am not into sharing personal stories about this but United is probably the worst insurer we ever negotiated with. And I don't even mean they just low ball you to get better rates. I don't recall particulars but I think it is one of our highest paying insurers. Their negotiations are basically a sham. I feel like they send individuals to negotiate on their behalf that aren't even authorized to make a deal but just to waste time.

I do not recall hearing a single story of anybody that has ever had a good time dealing with them, either patients or physicians.
United is awful.

A while ago I was working for one of the big AMCs. For insurance they gave us.....wait for it.....United. Kinda weird ending up out of network with yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
We have UHC. It was the cheapest.
I thought Kaiser is the cheapest. I used 2 months of kaiser due to a gap. 980$ for a family of 3 for the gold plan through the Exchange.

The current BC PPO costs around 2000$ if employer part is added. In addition, it has copay and coinsurance.

Thoughts on this? On one hand, UHC is dropping all these crap AMCs that are doing OON and surprise billing to boost their gross revenue. This is going to hurt the national AMCs causing them to lose contracts and private practices to swoop in. On the other hand, the smaller private practice groups will have less negotiating power to work out mutually beneficial rates since.... well its United.

They’re dropping smaller private groups too.

Most people’s insurance is. Exception for government or state supported institutions.
Why make money one way (reduced payouts) when you can make money both ways (increase premiums and deductibles). You do it until the market can't bear it (maybe getting close) or the government stops you (lol @ that).

Afterall, what is people's healthcare worth compared to increasing shareholder value?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Why make money one way (reduced payouts) when you can make money both ways (increase premiums and deductibles). You do it until the market can't bear it (maybe getting close) or the government stops you (lol @ that).

Afterall, what is people's healthcare worth compared to increasing shareholder value?

Good time to buy United health stock?

Good time to buy United health stock?
💎💎✋🤚🚀🌕
To the moon.

having experience with United as a pt it’s more like...
🥴💩🚽🧻🪠😬🪠🪠🤨🪠
Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN