Anesthesiologist Assistant, Anesthetist Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted650999

Hello,

I am just posting here in regards to anesthesiologist assistant programs. I absolutely love anesthesiology and think that this would be a great career for me. My volunteer and shadowing experiences in anesthesia were very positive and I really enjoyed being in that environment. I was just wondering what my chances would be for such a program. I have my pre-medical Bachelor's degree in Biology with a Chemistry minor. I recently applied to an AA program I am really interested in, and my GPA is a 3.75 (cumulative) and my MCAT score is a 26. I am just wondering if anyone has any insights to the acceptance rates, or averages for accepted students, because I couldn't find much info in regards to this. Does anybody know how many people apply for how many seats? I believe it is around 30-45 seats per program, but I was just wondering if one program is more competitive than others. I know it must be pretty hard to get in, but was just wondering if anyone had any more information. For example, I know on some websites for CRNA program admissions that on average, 100 students apply and 28 get accepted, or something to that effect. However, I could not find any information like this in regards to anesthesiologist assistant programs. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

AA programs are extremely competitive, on the order of 10:1 applicants:accepted or worse Most applicants apply to several programs. Your GPA sounds fine - I have no clue about the MCAT scores. The programs vary in size from only about 5 at Quinnipiac to 40-50 at Emory.

In addition to what jwk has said, does the program you're looking into place value on HCE? Since you didn't mention having any I'm going to assume you probably don't have much/any, as such you should obviously avoid programs which place emphasis on HCE.

I really wanted to do AA myself (but alas, the state nursing lobby shut that down with a quickness, so it will forever remain a dream), from the research I did your GPA seems just fine. Your MCAT is right around the 50th percentile for the nation and almost exactly average. I would say it's right about at a point that will neither help nor hurt you. You could take it again I suppose, but I wouldn't really bother unless you're 100% positive you'll score closer to the 29-30ish area. All in all, if you apply to multiple programs I would guess you have a fairly reasonable shot at an admission. The only thing you seem to be lacking is HCE, and I like I said before not all school care about that anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am just posting here in regards to anesthesiologist assistant programs. I absolutely love anesthesiology and think that this would be a great career for me. My volunteer and shadowing experiences in anesthesia were very positive and I really enjoyed being in that environment. I was just wondering what my chances would be for such a program. I have my pre-medical Bachelor's degree in Biology with a Chemistry minor. I recently applied to an AA program I am really interested in, and my GPA is a 3.75 (cumulative) and my MCAT score is a 26. I am just wondering if anyone has any insights to the acceptance rates, or averages for accepted students, because I couldn't find much info in regards to this. Does anybody know how many people apply for how many seats? I believe it is around 30-45 seats per program, but I was just wondering if one program is more competitive than others. I know it must be pretty hard to get in, but was just wondering if anyone had any more information. For example, I know on some websites for CRNA program admissions that on average, 100 students apply and 28 get accepted, or something to that effect. However, I could not find any information like this in regards to anesthesiologist assistant programs. Thank you.

You do know that AAs can only work in certain states and even in those states, it is dependent on the specific hospital. Just make an informed decision. I'm a former AA myself and now live in CA where I cannot work. If you truly love anesthesia then consider being a CRNA or MD.

You do know that AAs can only work in certain states and even in those states, it is dependent on the specific hospital. Just make an informed decision. I'm a former AA myself and now live in CA where I cannot work. If you truly love anesthesia then consider being a CRNA or MD.

Why do you live in California? Can you not move somewhere that you are eligible to work or do you have a pressing reason to stay in Cali?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why do you live in California? Can you not move somewhere that you are eligible to work or do you have a pressing reason to stay in Cali?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
AAs cannot work in the entire state. I've tried twice to lobby with several other AAs to no avail. Apart from the fact that most practices are MD only anyways. Moving is not an option right now.

Frankly speaking, I think CaliforniaDreamingAA must be a CRNA trying to discourage any prospective AA. I have been to various threads and the person is extra negative. Just an observation.

Reactions: 1 user
There's nothing inaccurate about what he/she (Californiadreamin) is saying. If an AA moves to most states, they won't have a job there to find. They practice in a handful of states, and possibly can function in the VA system, but I have my doubts about how well the latter would work if you can't be licensed in the state you want to work in. Who would be your oversight in that situation if the work itself is t codified into state oversight boards? I agree... If you want to pay a lot of money to be severely restricted, AA is for you. Some folks would be fine with that if they like those states where they can practice.

I would be "negative" if I found myself in californiadreamin's situation as well. That's a very tough, but entirely realistic scenario that person is living through.

Reactions: 1 users