Anesthesia for dumb cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedandBlack7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if other groups/departments do anesthesia for completely unnecessary procedures. We provide anesthesia often for port placements (even removals), nephrostomy tubes, bone marrow biopsies, adult MRIs, angiograms. And all in regular patients (not jsut patients with mental deficiencies or severe comorbidities)

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to see if other groups/departments do anesthesia for completely unnecessary procedures. We provide anesthesia often for port placements (even removals), nephrostomy tubes, bone marrow biopsies, adult MRIs, angiograms. And all in regular patients (not jsut patients with mental deficiencies or severe comorbidities)

Do you get reimbursed for said cases? Does your group need to get prior authorization from insurance in order to staff and get paid for your services?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you get reimbursed for said cases? Does your group need to get prior authorization from insurance in order to staff and get paid for your services?
I’m not sure but I believe so.

Members don't see this ad :)

No. Our IR guys are very self-sufficient. And we get called for adult MRI only 2-3x/yr. Only after they’ve failed MRI with nothing and MRI with PO sedative.

I have done many port placement and angiograms. I never once thought they are "dumb" cases or "completely unnecessary procedures". Sometimes my services makes a overall ****ty clinical course tolerable, that is good enough for me.

Have you ever had a port placed on you? Have you ever had a bone marrow biopsied on yourself?

Have you ever turned down a private payer colonoscopy or egg retrieval?

I suspect there are other logistical/institutional things that are making you hate the situation and it's clouding your judgement. E.g. the "completely unnecessary procedures" prob makes your schedule worse or it isn't paying well. Otherwise the lack of sympathy for your patients is alarming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
In this environment of critical anesthesia personnel shortages a lot of hospital systems are discovering that they need to triage for what is appropriate. Historically many training programs (e.g., interventional cardiology, IR, gastro, psych, surgery, IM) had some form of conscious sedation training. With COVID anesthesia departments worsened the dependence of all these specialties on anesthesia services for simple things like transfusing blood (I was called to assist in an IR case on an awake patient who required no anesthetic and the only rational was that the patient might have to receive blood).

Reactions: 3 users

Put IR department does most things under local and nursing sedation. I agree with your impression that most of these can be done with MAC and with local and nursing sedation unless sick patient or high BMI etc, but it does depend on the IR doc and staff.

No. Our IR guys are very self-sufficient. And we get called for adult MRI only 2-3x/yr. Only after they’ve failed MRI with nothing and MRI with PO sedative.
Ditto.. if they call it’s almost always appropriate and necessary.

I spent years pumping bottles of prop into drug addicts so they can get their 1 level ESI and 5 bottles of pain meds. I know what unnecessary looks like and none of the scenarios posted above would fit the bill.

Reactions: 8 users
90% of gi procedures can be done under conscious sedation. They are dumb cases as well. Actually more dangerous to be under deep mac if colon perforation cause patient can’t give immediate feedback.

I have done many port placement and angiograms. I never once thought they are "dumb" cases or "completely unnecessary procedures". Sometimes my services makes a overall ****ty clinical course tolerable, that is good enough for me.

Have you ever had a port placed on you? Have you ever had a bone marrow biopsied on yourself?

I suspect there are other logistical/institutional things that are making you hate the situation and it's clouding your judgement. E.g. the "completely unnecessary procedures" prob makes your schedule worse or it isn't paying well. Otherwise the lack of sympathy for your patients is alarming.
I never meant they are dumb procedures. I meant the anesthesia for them is dumb. For angiograms we basically give 25-50 of fentanyl. The surgeons probably utilize anesthesia so they can have less liability or bill more themselfes. anesthesia services for all of these are often times unnecessary. A surgeon can administer versed and fentanyl and the patient will have virtually the same experience. Of course if it’s a large BMI patient or a critically ill patient then Its understandable. When you have to cover many different services and are short staffed then yes it can be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
LPs under sedation. And they take a long ass time doing it with an neuro NP or PA. I could have done it in 2 minutes without anything.
I have had cases where the IR doc couldn’t get it with his fluoro for 30 min and I went in and got the LP in a few minutes myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
90% of gi procedures can be done under conscious sedation. They are dumb cases as well. Actually more dangerous to be under deep mac if colon perforation cause patient can’t give immediate feedback.

Ok, they can't give you immediate feedback. But you'll get feedback 10 minutes later. Does that really matter? Prop is much cleaner than the 8 mg of versed and 200 mcg of fentanyl it would take to keep me calm while they probe my a**.

Reactions: 12 users
I'll take the propofol for mine, please and thank you.

Any evidence to support this conclusion re: colon perf?
“A total of 118,004 colonoscopies were performed during the study period, with 48 perforations (0.041% or 4.1 per 10,000). Overall, the use of propofol was associated with a 2.5 times increased rate of perforation (6.9 vs 2.7 per 10,000; p = 0.0015). Similarly, in patients undergoing therapeutic colonoscopies, there was a 3.4-times increased risk of perforation associated with the use of propofol (8.7 vs 2.6 per 10,000; p = 0.0016).”

Let’s not kid ourselves. Gi propofol sedation is still a money maker especially outpatient settings commercial insurance.

Most are BS mac cases. Just because it allows gi docs to perform more cases faster. Doesn’t mean it’s safer. Like I always said. Everything resolved around money.

Even 70% of epidurals for labor is unnecessary. Yes I will get a lot of push back for this. For not being sensitive to pain suffering from labor. It’s a cultural American phenomenon. Only 30% of women from day the Netherlands get labor epidurals.

Money money money. That’s what it all boils down to.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
I never meant they are dumb procedures. I meant the anesthesia for them is dumb. For angiograms we basically give 25-50 of fentanyl. The surgeons probably utilize anesthesia so they can have less liability or bill more themselfes. anesthesia services for all of these are often times unnecessary. A surgeon can administer versed and fentanyl and the patient will have virtually the same experience. Of course if it’s a large BMI patient or a critically ill patient then Its understandable. When you have to cover many different services and are short staffed then yes it can be a problem.

As for anesthesia for them is dumb, I defer to my previous questions:

These questions are design to have you see your issue is not providing anesthesia for the procedures. I would argue your issue is that you're not adequately compensated for them.

Ever watch Dr. Pimple Popper? I’ve been impressed with the extensive procedures she does in her office with no sedation. Many of them would get GA at our hospital and surgicenters.

These questions are design to have you see your issue is not providing anesthesia for the procedures. I would argue your issue is that you're not adequately compensated for them.

I’ll provide anesthesia for haircuts, manicures and tattoos for the right compensation;)

• Haha

Majority of patients get said procedures with no anesthesia or with versed and fentanyl. No my issue is not providing anesthesia for them obviously. It just feels like an unnecessary use of our skill and time when it can be done with a nurse or even the surgeon themselfes providing sedation

The data on increased risk of colonoscopy perforation for MAC cases is controversial and the papers are contradictory. The best study, IMO, showed a higher risk of overall complications but it was all related to aspiration and the overall rates were very low. There was a fun study where they used manometers to show that fellows push harder under MAC. The increased cost and increased patient satisfaction are both undisputed.

The data on increased risk of colonoscopy perforation for MAC cases is controversial and the papers are contradictory. The best study, IMO, showed a higher risk of overall complications but it was all related to aspiration and the overall rates were very low. There was a fun study where they used manometers to show that fellows push harder under MAC. The increased cost and increased patient satisfaction are both undisputed.

Yep. The studies about colonoscopy MACs having higher complication rates are clearly not blinded RCTs. Are the patients sicker? More complicated procedures? Failed conscious sedation? Lots of possible confounders.

“A total of 118,004 colonoscopies were performed during the study period, with 48 perforations (0.041% or 4.1 per 10,000). Overall, the use of propofol was associated with a 2.5 times increased rate of perforation (6.9 vs 2.7 per 10,000; p = 0.0015). Similarly, in patients undergoing therapeutic colonoscopies, there was a 3.4-times increased risk of perforation associated with the use of propofol (8.7 vs 2.6 per 10,000; p = 0.0016).”

Let’s not kid ourselves. Gi propofol sedation is still a money maker especially outpatient settings commercial insurance.

Most are BS mac cases. Just because it allows gi docs to perform more cases faster. Doesn’t mean it’s safer. Like I always said. Everything resolved around money.

Even 70% of epidurals for labor is unnecessary. Yes I will get a lot of push back for this. For not being sensitive to pain suffering from labor. It’s a cultural American phenomenon. Only 30% of women from day the Netherlands get labor epidurals.

Money money money. That’s what it all boils down to.
I don’t think your info is accurate. From what I recall many European nations and the Netherlands have a similarly high rate of epidural use for labor as the US.

I would also challenge the notion that somehow a high utilization rate of epidurals means they are overused. If there’s one thing that I do that is worthwhile is labor epidurals, as opposed to the GA for elective surgeries and GI cases.

I think a little self-introspection would come in handy here and not just ad-hominem attacks. Cost is increased (negative for "society", positive for us) and patient satisfaction is increased (marginally positive for the patient compared to nursing sedation) but we need to look at this from a resource utilization perspective. It's hard to be objective when there is a conflict of interest. Anesthesia for (most) cosmetic plastic surgery cases falls into this category but at that point the anesthesiologist/CRNA has come to terms with their motivation (which is fine). If "society" (Medicare, Medicare advantage, etc.) is going to help pay for the anesthesia we should look at certain cases from a macro cost/benefit perspective. If someone has to work post-call to staff one of these cases, then you could also add the cost of physician and group burnout (even if the parties involved get compensated and everyone wants to make the anesthesia group, proceduralist, hospital and patient happy). The (possible) slightly increased risk of procedural complication from deep sedation should also play a role in the calculation but I think the other issues weigh more heavily. If the OP was suddenly paid a million dollars for his services, I'm sure he/she would be ecstatic but that doesn't answer whether the service was appropriate to begin with. Those type of decisions need to be on a case-by-case basis. Our proceduralists typically handle their own sedation for most cases in pain clinic, IR and GI and we are involved with the "bigger" cases (lung/kidney/liver ablations, rare MRI for special needs patients, ERCPs etc.). If we wanted to have an honest conversation about the breakdown of anesthesia necessity for these "bigger" cases then I think that is reasonable as well. Honestly, this discussion could also extend to unnecessary surgeries as well but that should be its own thread.

It’s a resources and need issue. If we didn’t have a shortage (and we were reasonably compensated for it) then it would be less of an issue. For anesthesia for a MRI because of claustrophobia is a little lame.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think your info is accurate. From what I recall many European nations and the Netherlands have a similarly high rate of epidural use for labor as the US.

I would also challenge the notion that somehow a high utilization rate of epidurals means they are overused. If there’s one thing that I do that is worthwhile is labor epidurals, as opposed to the GA for elective surgeries and GI cases.
Those peeps who know when I post. I don’t lie or mislead.

“Only about one-fifth (22%) of women in the Netherlands birth with an epidural in comparison to the majority of American women who birth with an epidural (61%) (Osterman and Martin, 2011, Zondag et al., 2017)”

Only reason I even know this is FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! Dutch lady who was on 3rd child on east coast (she moved to USA 3 years earlier) was talked into epidural by freaking L and D nurses and I had to wake up at 3am to do one!! That’s why I remember. The Dutch lady said i holland they are not even offered it. She wasn’t offered it her first two times in her home country.

Once epidural went in. She was so happy. Lol. She said she wished she had it her first two deliveries in the Netherlands.

So it’s cultural.

We do a lot of MRI/IR work, but at least they try to do it under local/sedation before they call us. That being said, their department still strains our resources quite a bit, and some of our involvement in those cases can be pretty soft calls.

My pet peeve is when the preop nurse tells the 87-year-old that the anesthesiologist will give them some Versed before rolling back to help them relax.

Those peeps who know when I post. I don’t lie or mislead.

“Only about one-fifth (22%) of women in the Netherlands birth with an epidural in comparison to the majority of American women who birth with an epidural (61%) (Osterman and Martin, 2011, Zondag et al., 2017)”

Only reason I even know this is FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! Dutch lady who was on 3rd child on east coast (she moved to USA 3 years earlier) was talked into epidural by freaking L and D nurses and I had to wake up at 3am to do one!! That’s why I remember. The Dutch lady said i holland they are not even offered it. She wasn’t offered it her first two times in her home country.

Once epidural went in. She was so happy. Lol. She said she wished she had it her first two deliveries in the Netherlands.

So it’s cultural.
I had multiple similar scenarios during residency. Large Amish population. Consistently saw ladies that were G10P10 or higher. Some decided they just wanted to see what it was like for their last planned delivery. After placement almost all of them wished they had gotten them for all their others.

We do a lot of MRI/IR work, but at least they try to do it under local/sedation before they call us. That being said, their department still strains our resources quite a bit, and some of our involvement in those cases can be pretty soft calls.

My pet peeve is when the preop nurse tells the 87-year-old that the anesthesiologist will give them some Versed before rolling back to help them relax.

Just explain to the patient why it’s not a good idea for someone their age.

Your examples are mainly NORA type procedures. We end up doing these a lot. The billing/reimbursement itself is not the issue but the fact that NORA spots are typically highly inefficient. For example the IR doc can do all of his cases without us except one for the day. We need to coordinate a time, transport equipment to the site, set up, see the patient, etc. These procedures are often somewhat longer as well. This leads to an absolute waste of time for the anesthesiologist if you tried to survive on billing alone. These areas and procedures are MUCH more valuable to the hospital so they are a huge increase to the need for a stipend. If the hospital is willing to foot the bill I will go anywhere and do a dumb case even if it is holding someone’s hand for a port. Which I have done before.

This is being driven by the IR doc shortages as well. They're getting called for more things these days, and their nurses are much less comfortable dealing with sick patients and light sedation.

We also used to have lots of patients come to IR/MRI with their ICU nurse, but those ICU nursing shortages have now made them 2-3:1 and they can't leave the ICU. "Oh just call anesthesia" has become the mantra.

We've had to fight this not because it is "dumb" but because of resource management. If I did every case they asked for our assistance throughout the hospital, we would be delaying the actual OR.

I had multiple similar scenarios during residency. Large Amish population. Consistently saw ladies that were G10P10 or higher. Some decided they just wanted to see what it was like for their last planned delivery. After placement almost all of them wished they had gotten them for all their others.
My point is in the USA. We do things in healthcare way more than other first world countries.

As for anesthesia we over use propofol for gi procedures. It’s dumb. Only because it involves money (whether anesthesia makes more. Or hospitals/surgery centers make money
Via more Patients being able to be done to make more in facility fees etc with propofol being faster onset/recovery).

Same with epidural for ob. I simply proved to the other poster who thought epidural rates were the same in other European counties. They simply are not. This is another reason why usa healthcare is so expensive.

Ever watch Dr. Pimple Popper? I’ve been impressed with the extensive procedures she does in her office with no sedation. Many of them would get GA at our hospital and surgicenters.
She must be really good with local anesthesia. Some of our surgeons operate like they've never heard of it.

• Love
My point is in the USA. We do things in healthcare way more than other first world countries.

As for anesthesia we over use propofol for gi procedures. It’s dumb. Only because it involves money (whether anesthesia makes more. Or hospitals/surgery centers make money
Via more Patients being able to be done to make more in facility fees etc with propofol being faster onset/recovery).

Same with epidural for ob. I simply proved to the other poster who thought epidural rates were the same in other European counties. They simply are not. This is another reason why usa healthcare is so expensive.
Fair enough. I was thinking of Sweden, which actually had a very high rate of epidural use. In fact, many European countries has a high epidural usage rate, I do find it strange that the Netherlands has an extremely low rate.

I would also point out that you did not make an arguement for why a lower epidural rate is better, in fact you gave an anecdote that suggests your Dutch patient was more satisfied with one.

We routinely do general anesthesia for adult MRI's 7 days a week (sometimes even in the middle of the night). We even have people pick up extra hours for more pay to do elective adult MRI's on Saturdays because of how backed up we are.

Other procedures we do general anesthesia for that come to mind: transthoracic echocardiograms, blood draws for pediatric patients, lumbar punctures in adults with "needle phobia", NG tube placement, and saphenous vein ablation. I can kind of understand the saphenous vein ablation but the others are silly IMO. Thankfully, the other ones only pop up a couple times a month but we are doing saphenous vein ablations routinely in the OR every week.

This is at a large academic center FYI.

• Wow
We routinely do general anesthesia for adult MRI's 7 days a week (sometimes even in the middle of the night). We even have people pick up extra hours for more pay to do elective adult MRI's on Saturdays because of how backed up we are.

Other procedures we do general anesthesia for that come to mind: transthoracic echocardiograms, blood draws for pediatric patients, lumbar punctures in adults with "needle phobia", NG tube placement, and saphenous vein ablation. I can kind of understand the saphenous vein ablation but the others are silly IMO. Thankfully, the other ones only pop up a couple times a month but we are doing saphenous vein ablations routinely in the OR every week.

This is at a large academic center FYI.

You just listed several prime example of cases that have no business asking for, let alone receiving, general anesthesia.

Reactions: 6 users
You just listed several prime example of cases that have no business asking for, let alone receiving, general anesthesia.

Yeah. TTEs….seriously??

We would quintuple our case volume if we did all that. Maybe they need the case volume for the residents since it’s a large academic center??

These ng tube placements, are they bowel obstructed patients?
Typically, it involves a patient with dysphagia needing a NG/Keofeed for enteral access i.e. feeds, meds, etc. The story is often: bedside nurse tried, other bedside nurse tried, charge nurse tried, primary team requested anesthesia to place NG tube. When we somehow get suckered into this, the first move is to try it yourself without anesthesia but the patient has often been told that they will be put to sleep for this after so many tries so some patients just aren't interested in trying too hard.

The best is when the bedside nurse also throws in some extra work like: "Patient is a difficult IV stick, can you get labs and an IV?" We have bred a new species of invertebrates at this hospital so they have come to expect that to be done too.

Yeah. TTEs….seriously??

We would quintuple our case volume if we did all that. Maybe they need the case volume for the residents since it’s a large academic center??
Yep, TTEs. "Patient does not tolerate pressure from probe." "Patient anxious about results and will not hold still with prior attempts."

Plenty of case volume for residents. Problem is the surgeons are slow so elective cases routinely go till 7PM during the week and often scheduled cases will finish at 8/9PM. Our Saturdays and Sundays are filled with elective/urgent cases from 8AM to 4PM like an abbreviated OR day with four rooms booked for these hours. (This is separate from the elective MRI cases running on Saturdays.) Subsequently, the call team is basically trying to navigate emergency cases between these elective/urgent cases. This leads to upset surgeons when they are told their cases are delayed for an emergency; they don't understand as they see their weekend booked cases as reserved block time like any other OR day. Quite exhausting and questionable use of call team IMO.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Yep, TTEs. "Patient does not tolerate pressure from probe." "Patient anxious about results and will not hold still with prior attempts."

Plenty of case volume for residents. Problem is the surgeons are slow so elective cases routinely go till 7PM during the week and often scheduled cases will finish at 8/9PM. Our Saturdays and Sundays are filled with elective/urgent cases from 8AM to 4PM like an abbreviated OR day with four rooms booked for these hours. (This is separate from the elective MRI cases running on Saturdays.) Subsequently, the call team is basically trying to navigate emergency cases between these elective/urgent cases. This leads to upset surgeons when they are told their cases are delayed for an emergency; they don't understand as they see their weekend booked cases as reserved block time like any other OR day. Quite exhausting and questionable use of call team IMO.
Jesus, your job sucks lol.

I have nothing else to add.

What the ****...
Are you making like a mil a year

I’m amazed that insurance will pay for that.

Typically, it involves a patient with dysphagia needing a NG/Keofeed for enteral access i.e. feeds, meds, etc. The story is often: bedside nurse tried, other bedside nurse tried, charge nurse tried, primary team requested anesthesia to place NG tube. When we somehow get suckered into this, the first move is to try it yourself without anesthesia but the patient has often been told that they will be put to sleep for this after so many tries so some patients just aren't interested in trying too hard.

The best is when the bedside nurse also throws in some extra work like: "Patient is a difficult IV stick, can you get labs and an IV?" We have bred a new species of invertebrates at this hospital so they have come to expect that to be done too.
AH - there's your problem. This is a surgeon/hospitalist or even radiology issue, not anesthesia. We don't place NG tubes unless it's intra-op.

As far as IVs - if our pre-op RNs can't get an IV, we have them call the IV team. One, we're really too busy to deal with it, and two, the IV team does US-guided IVs all day long and they're really good at it. If anesthesia gets involved, we're going to be looking really hard at an EJ/IJ if they're truly that difficult a stick.

Lastly - MRIs - I've never done an anesthesia MRI case. I understand that it's necessary for kids, but we don't do peds diagnostic work at our hospital. We simply don't/won't do MRI anesthesia. The hospital will not provide a full MRI-safe anesthesia setup for us, so that's the end of the story.

Speaking of anesthesia in dumb cases, I think I have one that tops all of yours. In residency there was a young girl with some psych condition that apparently got better after she underwent GA. The psychiatrists “prescribed” her therapeutic general anesthesia. We would bring her down to the OR a few times a week, put an LMA in, sit in the OR with her for an hour, then wake her up and leave the OR.

How’s that for a waste of resources?

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 13 users
Speaking of anesthesia in dumb cases, I think I have one that tops all of yours. In residency there was a young girl with some psych condition that apparently got better after she underwent GA. The psychiatrists “prescribed” her therapeutic general anesthesia. We would bring her down to the OR a few times a week, put an LMA in, sit in the OR with her for an hour, then wake her up and leave the OR.

How’s that for a waste of resources?

And you or your attending didn’t refuse?